Provincial ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Claudius 11, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

3b .jpg Caracalla .jpg Being my birthday i recieved a few coins nothing of value money wise but the object was to see if i could improve my ID skills (if any) and in that respect i`m going to enjoy them will post one at a time really hope the photo`s are good enough for an ID. I tried to ID by looking at the reverse and mostly what i found was Greek coins with the same design but their legends are more horrizontal or vertical where as this one the legend goes round the circumference which makes me think it`s Roman and the only one i can find is Caracalla and you guy`s know more than me so what do you think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The bottom coin is from Nikopolis, in Moesia Inferior. The top coin looks like it could also be from there, but the inscription break is different. Perhaps it is ΛI-TΩ rather than ΠO-ΛI.

You might check here:
    http://www.wildwinds.com/moushmov/nikopolis.html

Inspector43 and Claudius 11 like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Marcianopolis also issued coins similar to this. Such as this one of Elagabalus:

5062689.jpg

tibor, Marsyas Mike, Andres2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Diadumenian 4.jpg
    DIADUMENIAN
    Assarion
    OBVERSE: M OPPLLIOC ANTWNEINO/C
    Bare headed and draped bust right – seen from behind
    REVERSE: MARKIANO-POLEITWN
    Aesklepios staff, with serpent entwining
    Struck at Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior, 218 AD
    3.07, 17mm
    Varbanov 1354

tibor, Marsyas Mike, Andres2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Claudius 11

Did notice the break in lettering on rev: differs as does the portrait on obv: Did visit wildwinds.com for the first time, I did favour Antoninus Pius bust somehow but S. Severus seems to use serpents a lot in his rev: although not the same design. Still a lot of looking to be done pondering whether to try and clean it up a bit to see if I can bring up the lettering maybe a rub with chalk will do must be another out there somewhere

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Claudius 11

To all experts what do you think
    Hadrian ae14 of kos( cos ) islands of Caria serpent staff of ascelepius
    Sng- copenhagen. Sng- von aulok. Sng- munchen. Bmc- Karl.
    14 mm 2.33 g
    Mine is 15 mm. 3.2 g.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Claudius 11

Now that i have been told that this one is Provincial i have moved to this post
    1b.jpg
    given it a little clean to get to the letters
    x.jpg
    The rev: from the top letter x the one before i think is an e so when i read the legend to me it looks like excoivdm but have no idea what it means if anything letters before the e i would be guessing the obv: maybe someone will recognised the bust other than that i`m beat

Roman Collector and Bing like this.
  9. Claudius 11

Still one to go but before that i thought i would try and build a data base of Provincial wreath reverses which might help in the ID when the obverse legend is not readable and you will see on some emperors have different designs on rev. not sure if that has anythine to do with mints might be a waste of time but i think in the long term it will help
    1.JPG
    Augustus
    agustus-lg.jpg
    Domitian
    d1.jpg
    Elagabalus
    e1.jpg

you will see what i mean by same emp. two mayby more designs
    Would be grateful if any one would like to upload a rev. that i can use in my Data base

10. Claudius 11

Have tried to read the legend and come up with last three as ian but there are too many emp.s that end with ian i do see other letters but i don`t want to put words in your mouth the the rev. although worn does not equate to anything in my data base would be grateful if someone would have a try at a name. Size wise 19/20mm and 4.4g

v1.jpg v2.jpg

11. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Hi Claudius. There are so many coins on this thread it's a real mix up...
    About the coin with Tyche on the reverse, please give us weight and size. You can compare the legend (?) with this Caracalla :
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2668275

[​IMG]

Roman Collector and Claudius 11 like this.
  12. Claudius 11

Ocat
    Don't know where would this site be without people like yourself well done my coin 19/20mm. 4.5g the legend on mine a little straight compared to the circumference but it's the same emp. Again well done. When you say so many coins the thread above that is the same coin photographed at different angles to try and highlight the legend better. I think people like you should get together and produce a book ROMAN COINS FOR DUMMIES ( like me ). The thread above that is me just trying to make myself a data base on provincial wreath reverses thought others would have some maybe early days

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Do you have the obverse of that Augustus? The reverse doesn't look provincial.

14. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I'd be the first to buy it. If you only knew how many times I got help on Coin Talk to identify coins...

15. Claudius 11

Justin not 100% sure I think it was one on eBay but at that time I was only interested in wreath reverses I think it said Augustus-LG and we all know now that many emps. called themselves Augustus but even now I get confused I think the first Aug. with large SC had letters around the circumference although someone said in an early post ones with letters they were imperial. Have also seen an Aug. Large SC within a shield within a wreath if that makes sense.
    P.S. just found a site that produces PRC Volumes on line

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  16. Claudius 11

Think I have cracked it thread #9 Antonius Pius when I look back now what a terrible set of photo's they are, in the end I identified it by his beard when twisting the coin I the light you can see more detail than I could photograph. It would be nice if someone would post a photo of A.P. with a large SC reverse so i can compare the obverse legend if they have one. Although portraits can change his beard looked like a thick L with a tight curve.

17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

There's this one. There are a lot more at acsearchinfo when I search for "Antoninus Pius Antioch."

4662826.jpg

Bing and Claudius 11 like this.
  18. Claudius 11

RC
    Many thanks i could make out the letters PAIN along with others but could not find an emp. with those letters in the legend you will see what I mean when i say L shaped beard. I did try acsearch but omitted the name antioch that's why I never saw it. Found the number 1215 in sears but don't know if there is way a picture could be found. The coin above reverse is slightly different ( only minor) maybe a larger coin but no question it's the same Emp. so you see I still have lot's to learn now a bit sad this post has ended.
    Once again many thanks

19. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

4b.jpg
    I actually think it's Hadrian. In the thread where you originally posted it, I posted my examples with clearer legends as to give you a hint. The PAIN you see on your obverse is part of the TPAIAN in the legend (Trajan, his adopted father), followed by his name (in Greek) AΔPIANOC. In the Antoninus example above it is not PAIN, rather it is PIAN, and the AN is the beginning of the name ANTWNEINOC (the PI is the ending of AΔPI for his adopted father). Also the face length is actually on the shorter side instead of AP's long face, and more akin to Hadrian's.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Bing likes this.
  20. Claudius 11

Justin
    Will get back to you tomorrow I think I see pian(last four letters)maybe the p is an r still think the beard looks like #16 will look again in the day light

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  21. Claudius 11

Where to start first let me say people like me sad to say are at the wrong end of lifes spectrum and all my life i have never needed to to read or learn Greek i think i can read Greek letters but when they are all put together i have no idea of there meaning if i were to try and learn Greek now i fear it would be a bridge too far let me put a smile on doug`s face i am older than him so let`s leave it at that.
    So you will see people like me have to rely on images in order to ID a coin the two coins you posted to me look like two different emperors the reason i say that is both the obverse and reverse are different 1st the rev: in the thread above i have tried to show an emp. can have two different rev: maybe where they are minted i don`t know but the wreaths seem to be the same only the contents within the wreath differ where as your coins show two different wreaths. 2nd the busts look different which does happen when an emp. has been in power for a long time but still i`m looking and 3rd the legend but i will leave that to latter.
    To ID the coin i paid a visit to ALL-YOUR-COINS.COM there you pick you coin Roman or Greek and so on then metal then emps. when you come to emps. the page is full of faces in the form of drawings i know A. Pius had a lot of coins and why did this site pick this face i can only assume it was the most popular but that was the only coin that fitted the one in my hand and i think it was his beard just like RC posted clinched it for me remember the people who made the site know miles more than me.
    Back to the legend on your bottom coin i think i read PAICTPAIANA where on my coin i read starting at the top PAINN--PIAN the two that i have left out could be an A but the next one i have never seen before in the photo comming the P at the top looks like an F but beleave me it`s an P so you see the legends are different as a novice it`s like putting king george legend on a queen elizabeth coin i just don`t understand it and as a novice i think if the legends differ the emp. must differ.
    Lastly if i`m wrong i will accept it after all you are the experts but i will be disapointed not in getting it wrong if that is the case but in the method i used to ID it.
    SAM_6208.JPG

P.S. painted it with Brasso which will rub off

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted