Imerial ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Claudius 11, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

Meanwhile back at the ranch another from my birthday hoard. Firstly book has arrived one doug mentioned in an earlier post Late Roman Broze Coinage by G Bruck and i can`t find any ref to it as with some others nor find it in sears also not sure its Provincial so i will call it early Imperial. The coin shown is in the condition as bought but i know some of you will know what it is even in this condition or indead have this coin, have it soaking in water to try and remove some of the dirt or patina to get at the lettering. Now i DON`T want to know the name of this coin (not yet) i think one face is that of Tyche and i assume that is the reverse but what i would like to know is where to start have tried a small search but so far unproductive maybe my wording is all wrong so any CLUES would be grateful.

1b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Claudius 11

Sorry misspelt title

4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Weight and size could help. Many emperors had the turreted bust of Tyche on the reverse. Here is an example of Caligula (?) from Amasea.

86AA79B1-29FF-4F48-845E-9FE316DD2CAD.jpeg
    It's gonna be really hard to identify without reading the legend...

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do not know the coin but that is a Provincial with Tyche (the books are on Imperials). IF you clean successfully I suspect you will find ANTONINVS so I would start looking a rulers who used that name that had heavy beards. It is NOT Antoninus Pius. See if that helps. There are so many Tyche coins that finding a match might be a matter of luck. The reverse legend would help a lot.

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It looks like the reverse inscription is in a straight line rather than curving around the rim. This may be an illusion caused by the dirt covering different parts of the letters, but if it is straight across, that would be highly unusual and would help narrow down the possibilities.

Claudius 11 likes this.
  7. Claudius 11

gsimonel same thought went through my mind inscription on reverse but i think in the end i will have to clean it like the others said. Did a quick search on acsearch (nearly 1400 ) to scroll through and there are a few but not one with the same rev. so far.
    3rd one from the same hoard again NO names but this one also neads cleaning but would like to know if this is also a Provincial
    4b.jpg
    always think a coin with an S C is a provincial coin ?
    On a lighter note same hoard but i think this time i have ID`d it. Reason i bought it was i have never seen such a coin with a worn and ugly portrait (bit like me) first thought was to try the reverse not imposible but maybe take longer then on the obverse i noticed the last letters icus only two i found was germanicus and tetricus i opted for tetricus problem now was tet1 or tet 11 looking at the letters again i think it`s tet 1 hope i`m correct
    2b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Bing likes this.
  8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Yep, that's a Roman Provincial.

Here are my two like it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Claudius 11 and Bing like this.
  9. gsimonel

In Imperial Rome, gold and silver coins were worth, more or less, their melt value. That was not the case with bronze coins, so their value was guaranteed by the Roman Senate. All Imperial bronze coins up through the 3rd century A.D. had the letters S and C on their reverse, stating this Senate guarantee. The letters were usually either in the exergue or in smaller letters to either side of a reverse figure. So actually, most bronze coins with the letters S and C on the reverse are Imperial. EXCEPT: coins with a large SC, usually within a wreath, on the reverse like the three coins--yours and the 2 of Justin Lee's--shown above, which are from Antioch in Syria. I don't think it is known what the letters on this coins mean, but I could be mistaken about this.

You are correct about the other you showed in the same post--it is an antoninianus of Tetricus I. The beard on the obverse portrait is the giveaway. Tetricus II does not have a beard, probably because he died to young to grow one.

Here's a typical Imperial bronze with an S and C:
    upload_2020-4-2_9-47-9.png
    Trajan
    Caesar, A.D. 97
    Augustus, A.D. 98-117

Bronze (Orichalcum) Dupondius
    Rome mint, A.D. 103-111
    Obv: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P
    Rev: SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI - Fortuna standing, facing left, holding cornucopia and resting rudder on prow of ship, between S and C
    RIC 402
    29mm, 8.6g.

Here is a portrait of Tetricus I:
    upload_2020-4-2_9-48-23.png
    Augustus, A.D. 271-274
    Bronze Antoninianus
    Gallic Empire, unidentified southern mint
    Obv: IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG
    Rev: PAX AVG - Pax standing left, holding olive branch and vertical spear
    RIC 100
    18mm, 2.9g.

And one of Tetricus II for comparison:
    upload_2020-4-2_9-49-15.png
    Caesar, A.D. 273-274
    Augustus, A.D. 274

Bronze Antoninianus
    Gallic Empire, unidentified southern mint
    Obv: C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES
    Rev: SPES AVG - Spes, walking left, holding flower and raising robe
    RIC 270
    20x18mm, 2.5g.

Bing, Claudius 11 and Justin Lee like this.
  10. gsimonel

One last clarification: early Imperial bronzes often had a large SC in the center of the reverse, like those of Antioch, but these were surrounded by an inscription, not a wreath. Plus the size and style is so different that it is easy to distinguish between these and the later coins from Antioch:
    upload_2020-4-2_9-53-26.png
    Germanicus
    Grandson of Augustus
    Bronze As
    Rome mint, A.D. 50-54
    Obv: GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N
    Rev: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP PP, encircling SC
    RIC (Claudius) 106
    29mm, 10.5g.

Claudius 11, Bing and Justin Lee like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I believe the S-C on Antiochian coins represents Coele-Syria, the name of the area.

Domitian:

domitian1.jpg

domitian2.jpg

12. Claudius 11

You know you learn something every day

13. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

I think this is a Vespasian?
    BA #55. Smyrna 1970 - Bronze coin (AE 27) minted at Antioch during the reign of VESPASIAN between 69 - 79 A.D. Colonial & Provincial Coinage. Obv. Laur. hd. l. Rev. SC in wreath. RCS # 819.

BA-55 OBV.jpg BA-55 REV.jpg

Bing likes this.
  14. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

BC #116. Rufer’s Coin 9-23-94 $3.00 - Bronze coin (AE 24) minted at Antioch during the reign of DOMITIAN between 81 - 96 A.D. Colonial & Provincial Coinage Obv. laur. hd. l. Rev. SC in Wreath. RCS #923.

BC-116 OBV.jpg BC-116 REV.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted