Provident Metals: I don't want your magnets.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Why do they send these?

1) It's an extra expense to them
    2) My guess is most customers don't care them because it's not like we are going to put it on our fridge. The last thing PM buyers want is to publicize to any house guest that they have precious metals.

For people (like me) who place an order every month, you're going to accumulate lots and lots of these things. So what am I going to do with them?!

Do you like them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Someone in marketing told them it helps with sales?
    Maybe they have some data that people actually like them?

I would think a pen or key chain might be a better item to give out for marketing purposes as people might actually use those without attracting a ton of attention from outsiders.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I deal with a coin dealer who is always sending me free magnifiers. Have to say those are much more useful than magnets.

asheland and ddddd like this.
  5. myownprivy

That would be great, except I don't need 12 of those per year, and I bet that would be far too costly for Provident.
    However, I like the idea of a pen or a pencil.

asheland, Santinidollar and ddddd like this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Bet you can't verify silver by sliding it between 2 of those, even with stacking them on each side, they wouldn't help. :)

myownprivy likes this.
  7. myownprivy

Funny! Had a similar thought. The magnets are so weak there's no way they could verify much of anything.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I just got an order from Apmex on Monday and it had a little notepad (helpful) and a keychain (no thanks).

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I have APMEX notepads, and a bunch of Provident magnets (and other magnets) on the refrigerator to hold up my kids stuff.

I don't buy anything that's on the magnets, but they are useful to me.

10. pmbug

pmbug Taking steps on my thousand mile journey

They should make watermarked (or raised edge) packaging for for bullion (coin sleeves, tubes, etc.) and give out free samples instead. Folks would actually use them and be reminded of the company every time they go scuba diving in their favorite lake and assess the treasure they lost.

11. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I toss the magnets too...I’d rather them save money on that stuff and just send me an extra coupon every now and then. Because those I will use!

asheland likes this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Probably a marketing ploy so that your surviving heirs will know who to call to sell all of your coins and PMs.

medoraman and Jaelus like this.
  13. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Best answer to me. The stuff isn't about you but for those who will sell your stuff off.

Pretty brilliant actually.

14. myownprivy

I disagree. The flips they send you have their info on them. No need for redundancy with a dumb magnet. Plus, people are far more likely to reuse the flips than they are to put a magnet on their fridge that broadcasts to house guests they have precious metals in their homes.

15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There are catalogs of tchotches and show giveaways that you can see, online or sometimes at shows... Google "trade show giveaways".

My observation is that anybody who goes with something on the 1st page or the current "hot" list is lame.

ddddd likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

The smart ones open a random page near the middle. :D

17. Clawcoins

18. myownprivy

Visit Troy, Michigan and break into all of the homes. Once you find the ones with the magnets on the fridge, you know you've hit the jackpot! Then go find the bullion.

Tip: If you can't find his house, contact the local Remax agent. You could also pose as a Jets Pizza delivery man.

19. Clawcoins

You could but the problem you would have is
    (1) I don't live in Troy - have you ever used some other libraries ??
    (2) I *never* and I really do mean it, *never* nor *ever* use/d pizza delivery. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do something that I can do - even when I was in college.
    (3) if you ever do ... then you'll also have to break into all of the banks that have SDBs too. I recommend starting there anyways you'll at least won't get bitten and shot to death.
    (4) I also have refrig magnets from a bike shop in the UK. Maybe I live in England ??

and don't you ever get magnets from real estate people that you have never, ever used in the past just for the magnet? I get junk mail from multiple places each year.

Oh wait, you don't like magnets so you wouldn't understand.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Randy Abercrombie and myownprivy like this.
  20. myownprivy

Ok, good!

21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The only "company" I get are moochers who I don't answer the door for.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted