Protect your bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RhinoEmpire, Jan 5, 2014.

1. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Hello everyone,

As a fellow stacker and security professional I wanted to help raise awareness to a potential threat that may impact many of the users on cointalk. I also want to share a quick solution to help protect yourself and your investments. One of my favorite coin forums is the site is “post your silver bullion”, but many of these pictures contain sensitive data that is embedded in the photo. This data provides tons of information including geolocation where the photo was taken and even full names. Case and point, a new member who recently posted silver bullion used an iPhone 4, and has a very nice swimming pool in their back yard – as shown in google maps. A second, more senior member copyrights his photos using his full name. This too could easily reveal the location of investments.

Smart phones and tablets store the most information. Here is a link you can follow to disable geotagging that might reveal where the photo was taken { http://icanstalku.com/how.php#disable }. You can also remove personal information from an image before posing using Windows by selecting properties -> details -> remove properties and personal information. I’m sure OSX has similar methods.

I’m not trying to pick on or single out any members on cointalk, but only wish to help its members protect their precious metals. Be safe out there!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

That's really good information. Another great tactic to protect bullion is a 9mm:D

2schnauzers2luv and green18 like this.
  4. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

They'll steal that too when you aren't home

harris498, Silver Budha and green18 like this.
  5. steelheadwill

steelheadwill Active Member

Thanks Rhino, I hope my ten year old camera doesn't leave these clues.

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

A lot of folks use Photobucket to host their pics.
    If you go to your account and click "User Settings" then "Privacy" there are a number of options you can check to prevent identification of your photographs..

For example
    " When I upload, permanently remove information about where my photos were taken" and "File name scrambling"

Maximus and his two buddies look after my stuff when I`m not around :D

[​IMG]

steelheadwill and Nuglet like this.
  7. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Using security settings on Photobucket is a smart move. Maximus is intimidating looking, but all dogs turn into big babies when you wave a tasty treat in their face :rolleyes:

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Geo-location of images is a moot point if you avidly trade coins, and you're constantly giving out your home address. A safe deposit box and home alarm system are the answers. I've got nothing against dogs and guns, but why let it get to that point?

9. Slider

Slider Member

Who on earth would make a coin sale at their home address? Public venues only for me...but the issue of geolocation and meta data is good to be aware of. Posting photos (regardless of their content) that includes metadata about where they were taken won't just show someone where you live. The more you post, the more a criminal can piece together your daily commute, regular hangout a, friends, family, etc. just a good idea all around to turn that sort of functionality off.

10. CJinAustin

CJinAustin Member

If you don't have Photoshop, there are a lot of free EXIF erasing programs out there, and even ones that will do it from the cloud for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted