Proposed $20 Bill Design with Harriet Tubman

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Al Kowsky, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I think that opening the door to "who can be on currency" is a politically-correct hotbed worth avoiding.

In my opinion, it would be much safer, if we want to change, to go back to the old "lady Liberty", eagle, etc.

6. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Indeed!

I'd enjoy seeing a return to Mercury Dimes, SLQs and Walkers. But then, as someone said in another thread on this subject, there is no place for this type of coinage in modern society. So very glad I'm reaching the end of my days.

George McClellan and Ima Dragon like this.
  7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

sorry but i believe that if they put a portrait on a 20 dollar bill then it should be a past president, i would not use these...

Legomaster1 and LA_Geezer like this.
  8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

No he didn't. The NYT article is so wildly inaccurate that the BEP has posted a statement on the front page of its website explaining the true situation. The long delay of the next currency generation was announced in May 2016 by the previous administration, but didn't become a political football until Mnuchin mentioned it....

eddiespin and LA_Geezer like this.
  9. Mernskeeter

Mernskeeter Active Member

I'm sorry but this portrait doesn't look regal enough for me.. Also a coin I believe would be more appropo.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm thinking "regal" is not something I want associated with US coins and currency -- but for this particular historic figure, I'd like to make sure she looks heroic, in light of what she did. In fact, I'd absolutely love to see a design with her leading others to freedom, maybe in the style of the old 1800s figurative engravings.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Personally, I don't care which portrait is on the $20 dollar note as long as I can purchase one for $10.

Chris

12. Mernskeeter

Mernskeeter Active Member

20190615_110609.png

-jeffB likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think you missed @-jeffB trying to insinuate that we don't want something resembling a monarchy on our money...

eddiespin and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  14. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

Why not put EDITED: Political or a big pot leaf on the bill. This is a bad idea. I know nothing about mrs Tubmam but I am sure some dirt will come up latter. Think of the ways people will deface the bills with sharpies and ink stamps.They better print a lot more ten dollar bills. I vote for the marine corp flag or an eagle.This is just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
    Legomaster1 likes this.
  15. -jeffB

o_O

As a Marine, I'd think you'd have more respect for someone who risked her life in the cause of freedom.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. -jeffB

But she is technically correct.

I have a bit of a knee-jerk response at any suggestion that our leaders should be treated or viewed as royalty. I don't think that's really what @Mernskeeter was trying to suggest, though.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are other bills without past presidents.
    Hamilton, and Ben Franklin on the 10 and 100.
    And in the past, Hillegas, and Salmon P. Chase. I probably missed some.

George McClellan likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Fits Lady Liberty but IMO the definition doesn't reflect anyone presidential or even a figure in US History.
    Monarch, magnificent, dignified maybe also a few of the synonyms.
    The word just reminds me of having a King or Queen.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  19. coinsleuth

coinsleuth New Member

Bad. Lady Liberty better, with an eagle perched to the left or right.

Legomaster1 and Ima Dragon like this.
  20. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

To answer the Question posed : YES , This "CONCEPT" note design is "UGLY" ! Harriet Tubman performed a Brave and Commendable Service to the most deserving people in America indeed . An engraving of her Heroic Deeds along the lines of early notes ie; Education Series would be an appropriate honor . Would also highlight Abolition as a whole and not "Politically Correctly" elevate Harriet Tubman beyond others !
    Benjamin Franklin has many accomplishments that made the young American Country better as a Whole .
    Harriet Tubman has but One accomplishment that I know of : Breaking the Law for Moral Reasons ! An Engraving would be better .
    Scraping the whole idea makes more sense in my humble opinion .

David Hill likes this.
  21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Oh, her opinion and use of the word are just fine. I was just pointing out to her that you knew what the word regal meant and you were looking at it in terms of royalty vs looking nice.

Mernskeeter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted