NEW HARRIET TUBMAN $20 BILL

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Ron Henry, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

I've wondered over the last few days if the introduction of a new $20 bill will enhance the value of the old Andrew Jackson bills. Anybody have any thoughts? I was considering getting a few new Jacksons and putting them away.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

In my opinion, no, not for decades. Unless if all Andrew Jackson 20 dollar bills are to be shredded.:bored:

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Maybe for your great grandchildren. I peeked at your age.:>) They may spend it from the collection if it doesn't have something special about it. Grading costs will probably increase later on. Do you plan to spend money on it now with a TPG? That may stop them from simply spending it. I'm older than you but I see no real value collecting those. Spend the money on something which has already appreciated in value. Then it's valuable on the day they become owner's.

5. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

You'd think they could find a more flattering picture.

6. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Lol, thanks. Aren't we really saving all this stuff for them anyway?

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

8. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

It's easy to forget that she was a Civil War era figure. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nice to see from the photo in the article that we are going back to the small head notes.

11. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Worth adding: the delayed target date for the next redesign cycle, from 2020-ish to 2026-ish, was the result of security concerns. Some of the security features that were planned for the future-generation currency turned out to be not all that secure, and the BEP had to go back to the drawing board. See here and here. Note that the delay was announced in 2016, by the previous administration. Seems like some folks are just now hearing about the delay, and interpreting it as an attempt by the current administration to keep Tubman off the $20...that's not what's going on. The redesign is now so far off in the future that the current administration basically has no say over it anyway--if you want to know who'll be on the next $20, ask the winner of the 2024 election.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I see nothing wrong with doing a drawing/picture of the woman and using it instead of any of the representations I have seen.

13. SteveInTampa

I wouldn’t necessarily equate the photo in the article as an accurate depiction of any redesign. The photo is a series 1985 $20, and I doubt that would ever happen again.

14. Michael K

Yes it was a joke about poor journalism.
    What, they didn't have any large head notes to use?

SteveInTampa likes this.
  15. SteveInTampa

I’m good Mike, no worries.

16. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Where are the 2017 $20s???

17. Michael K

They probably are still printing them now, but with older dates. Until a design change is made (different signature, etc.) they keep printing them with the old design and date.

Draft saved Draft deleted