Proof Morgan dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by old49er, May 3, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Good Morning everyone, this Morgan is incredibly beautiful to me. it looks like a proof to me. although I,m sure there are none. but I think comes very close. I have a few of these here. but this ones my fav. Anyone feel like grading it for me? have a great day...heres a few pics proof morgan dollar obv5.jpg proof morgan dollar rev1.jpg proof morgan dollar obv4.jpg

Smojo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

couple more pics 10.jpg prooflike morgan 2.jpg prooflike morgan 4obv.jpg

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Ms63/64 ....Typical early San Fran issue, not a proof.The majority of classic proof coins were struck at the Philadelphia mint.

Paul M. and old49er like this.
  5. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

It's not a proof Morgan. The S mint mark on the reverse is the give away. Proof Morgan's have no mint mark and are made in Philadelphia. This one while a nice example of a Morgan is an 1881S which plenty of members here as well as me appreciate but no proof. Have a good day.

old49er likes this.
  6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Yeah ^ what he said. Miller time is early today.

old49er and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Aaaahaaaaahaaaaa
    I should change my name to drunken Miller man,

old49er and kSigSteve like this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Can't really be sure from the pics but a proof-like designation might not be out of the question though ;)

old49er likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is just a very nice, shiny 1881s Morgan dollar--one of the most common dates available in MS condition. Cannot ascertain PL status from photographs that poor, but it is just a nice, bright Morgan. There are many like that, and you have a nice MS coin. All Morgan proofs were Philadelphia mint, and looking at one, they cannot be confused by nice, bright frosty business strike coins--a totally different look to them.

old49er likes this.
  10. old49er

Thanks for the feedback all, I didn't know there were proof Morgans. I will have to look around, to find a pic of one. Bet they are awesome...

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

This has a good chance of a proof like designation hard to tell from pics. Many 1879-81-s Morgan dollars are proof like to some degree. I'd call this one ms 62-3 from the pics

12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Typical beat up Morgan from those thousands of "S" mint bags sold at near face value in the vault sales of 1963.

old49er likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

old49er likes this.
  14. A nice looking Morgan I give it a 65+.

old49er likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

I would agree on that--MS 63 PL in all probability. Hard to tell from poor pics, though.

old49er likes this.
  16. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

Actually...I'm pretty sure there are indeed branch mint proofs for Morgan dollars...maybe not in Frisco but in NO there were some...right?

edit to add: Yup...look here ;)

http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=46&N=51+790+231+382+573+1585

old49er likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

Cascade likes this.
  18. old49er

With all evidence presented, I think it may be a first strike perhaps, explaining the luster. Struck from a very nicely polished die?

19. Morgandude11

Not necessarily. Lots of 1881s coins are very well struck.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Not at all. Coins of this quality were the expectation for early San Francisco Morgans. They are by far the most common Morgans in high grade. The one you've pictured here is essentially "par for the course."

Morgandude11 and old49er like this.
  21. old49er

Dang, and I thought this was awesome coin

Draft saved Draft deleted