Proof Coins with Haze/Cloudiness

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scalight, May 21, 2016.

1. Scalight

Scalight Active Member

Since I just got back into the game, I took out my long stored (In a metal box) Modern Proof U.S. Commemeratives from the 80's & 90's which I purchased from the Mint.
    There are some that have a Haze from the edges over the mirror surface.
    I remember always hearing to "never clean a coin". Is that still the current thought ?
    I have no thoughts of selling, but the cloudiness detracts a bit from my enjoyment of them.
    Any new products that are safe ? or should I leave them alone ?
    Thank you !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Never harshly clean a coin. Yes, that still holds true, but it is perfectly acceptable to properly dip a coin. There are several ways of doing this depending on how bad the hazing is. In most, but not all cases, a quick dip in a solution of 50% EZest and 50% distiller water will do the trick. Do you have any images of some of the hazing?

Scalight and Insider like this.
  4. tequilaDave

tequilaDave Junior Member

Haze on coins is a product of the environment in which they were stored in (moisture, temp, etc.). You can potentially "dip" the clad and/or silver coins but unless you change their environment, the haze will return, not to mention the fact that post dipped coins have less "luster". As for the copper coins, there's not much I know of that will clean off the haze and not alter the color and/or mirrored finish. Blue Ribbon was a product that, if applied extremely gently (and I mean EXTREMELY gently as mirrored surfaces will show even the smallest hairline scratches that are easily made when wiping a coin) may possibly help. Unfortunately, Blue Ribbon cannot be sold "legally" in the US but yet can be found at extremely high prices on Ebay. Another option is acetone or isopropanol or something similar for your copper coins that will not remove any of the metal surface but can in some cases remove some or most of the haze. Not a perfect solution by any means but at least it won't alter the coin's metal (something that you cannot say about EZ-dip or any of their brethren).
    In the future, be sure to store your coins near some form of desiccants like silica or even boxes of baking soda to limit the coins exposure to moisture, especially if you live in an area prone to high humidity. Temperature changes can also have a negative effect on coins albeit much less detrimental if you live in a dry area.

Inspector43 and Scalight like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've been told (not sure if it's a matter of fact) IF you feel you just have to clean a coin.
    In a plactic bowl fill with water & just a drop of mild dish soap, I imagine like dawn.
    Wash your hands. Use your finger gently go from middle to edge.
    Rinse under running watter
    In a separate bowl with distilled water rinse coin.
    Put on a towel to dry.

I don't know if it really works or is safe, but would like to know

6. Scalight

Scalight Active Member

Thank you for the replies,
    Here are two images of the haze/cloud:

Attached Files:

7. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

MS-70 works wonders on coins like this. That is always a good first step.

TJ1952, Clawcoins and Paul M. like this.
  9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I have some 86 comm. Statue Liberties none have that. Some are proofs I put in airtites long ago. I live now in Oklahoma weather changes all the time, hot,cold, wet & dry can never decide on what for long

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

This would badly damage the surfaces of a proof coin. There should be no rubbing.

Inspector43, TJ1952, imrich and 3 others like this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Insider, ms70 is for loosening and removing thick crud or gunk on a coin not for toning or haze. The op just needs to dip it in ezest for a second then run under a cold faucet to rinse then set it on toilet paper and pat dry with another piece of toilet paper. Haze is a SIMPLE fix. Just have to do it properly, and it's NOT rocket science :)

Cheech9712 and micbraun like this.
  12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I read this on another coin thread not CT. Been curious if it would really work but didnt want to try it myself

13. tequilaDave

tequilaDave Junior Member

Since these are not copper coins, I would suggest EZest. However, unless you take precautions on the rinse, you'll end up with additional problems down the road. Many people dip their coins properly but then muck up the rinse and are surprised a year or two later when their coin looks worst than before they dipped it. The key is to thoroughly rinse after dipping in the EZest with tap water followed by a quick dip in a dilute solution of baking soda (to neutralize any residual acid that didn't rinse off) and then a final and thorough rinse in distilled water. If you only rinse in tap water you'll be introducing a number of solublized ions and minerals like Ca, Cl, Mg, etc., that will, over time, create their own issues on the coin.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Insider is correct, MS70 works wonders when it comes to removing haze from Proof coins. What's more, MS70 is far, far, safer to use than E-Zest.

15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I use 50% clear household ammonia and 50% distilled water. Don,t clean copper coins... as for proof silvers and clads, It works very well. Never touch the surface while dipping. Rinse well in tap water and than again in distilled water. Blot dry with soft cotton but never in a side to side motion. Finish drying with a hair dryer. This method works especially well on brown box Ikes and hazy proof sets produced before 1990. If more dipping is needed, it will not harm the coins, but use caution with clads as they contain some copper so don,t use more than 50% ammonia, and experiment with less valuable coins at first.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe I'm just not using ms70 correctly but I've only used it a couple of times as it sucks and I don't trust it. The name alone should tell you to run. Ezest, if used properly, is almost a safe as acetone. Only real risk imo, and again if done correctly, is not knowing if a coin has been dipped previously.

17. Scalight

Scalight Active Member

So, In order of safety to the coin, would it be Ammonia > MS70 > EZest ?

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Additionally, it seems to be the consensus of opinion (not unanimous though) that any contact between a coin and anything else should be limited to pure solvents (water, acetone, xylene) or some of the dips (EZest, MS70).

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Please don't describe something which permanently removes original metal from the coin as "safe." E-Zest is a desperation measure which is as intrusive in the technical sense as a grinder.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I get where you're coming from but I thought the qualifiers I used were suffecient. What are your thoughts on ms70 Dave?

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Sorry you posted this as you are totally misinformed about MS-70 and how to conserve a coin properly!:facepalm: I was going to stay :muted: on this except for my initial post but I fear your methods are going to get a lot of coins ruined and hairlined.

Here is what I have learned from professionals in the conservation business. Hopefully the chemists on CT will educate you and I more.
    1. You NEVER dip a coin in EZest as a first step in conservation.
    2. You should NEVER USE tap water.
    3. You NEVER dry a coin with a paper product or by patting it with anything.

That should cover it except for this: Some large US silver commemoratives "blow-up" o_O:arghh: and become permanently stained (even though most of the haze disappears) when any of the usual conservation chemicals are used. :(

As of last week, the professionals :artist: doing the work that I speak with STILL do not know how/why this happens to some commemoratives that look like an easy and quick conservation job..

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted