Hazy Bullion Affect Resale?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Agilmore01, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I stored some bullion rounds and coins in one of those terrible Lowes Hardware First Alert fireproof safes that actually seem to release humidity into the safe. My dessicant ran out so quick I didn't even notice, so now my rounds have a haze on them that I can't get off. I tried a light rinse in water and acetone, but no luck. I currently have some Sunshine Mint buffalo 1 oz. rounds, some Philharmonics, some Australian Funnel Web Spiders, and an ATB 5 oz. Two questions:
    1. Is there a way to remove the haze, such as using MS70?
    2. Does the haze matter when I go to sell them since they are only bullion? Would you pay less for them because of the haze?

I attached a pic of each kind and picked the worst of them. The ATB was barely affected, so I didn't include the pic.
    uploadfromtaptalk1447191906128.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447191938343.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447191967890.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

who cares, bullion is bullion.

Tho, some may not like them

4. Agilmore01

That's why I was asking. Some may care and pay less, and some may not care. I did not pay spot price for these, but was wondering of this haze would make people not want to pay more than spot when they see them. I will be selling them next week.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Probably just @ spot.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's always gonna retain at least spot. The premium on something like this is in the mirrored and shiny.......fear not, your stuff will always be worth something.

7. Agilmore01

Yeah, I know it won't be worth less than spot, but I don't want to lose too much premium. I would pay spot all day long if I could find some in any form. Even bad junk silver commands a small premium to spot, so I may be ok. Probably throw on ebay and let the bidiots bid it up.

8. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Dipped in e*Z*est, haze all gone. Still just bullion or in this case little premium over silver. I cut the e*Z*est to 1/4 strength and distilled water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    green18, Blissskr and Cascade like this.
  9. Agilmore01

Awesome! Will try that if my MS70 doesn't work.

10. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

I misspelled this, instead of e*E*est it should be e*Z*est. Sorry 'bout that.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

What ron c said... However, this is a method that works but is dangerous to use because anything more than a few seconds and you've ruined the surfaces. A little practice on your bullion would be a good idea incase you need to use the method on old bu silver or expensive premium bullion pieces. Just rember to dilute the dip with 1/2 or so distilled water and be quick about the dip. On the order of 2-3 seconds then rinse with pure distilled water

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Agilmore01 likes this.
  12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Agree with @ron_c, although I'd dilute the E-z-est as it doesn't need to be full strength to remove haze and as @Cascade mentioned at full strength it can result in over stripping the surfaces after a few seconds. I use a 50/50 mix with distilled water myself. I'd also recommend starting out dipping the generic bullion first until you get the hang of it and then progress to the well known stuff. Dipping coins is a valuable skill and it's something I think too many people are afraid of attempting with the constantly pushed 'don't clean or do anything to coins' mantra. Yet it's the perfect solution in cases like these.

green18 and Agilmore01 like this.
  13. Agilmore01

So i tried the MS70 cleaner first with no results. Just got the EZEst today and tried it at 50% dilution. No change. Tried it straight, no change. What in the world is on these things??? I need to get rid of this safe! Any other ideas? I am out.

14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

How long did you dip them for? Could always try a quick couple second full strength dipping.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

16. Agilmore01

Several I dipped multiple time up to 10 seconds each. Even tried about 8-10 seconds full strength. This is bizarre. Tried rubbing them with microfiber cloths and everything. Oh well, will probably just sell as is and move on. Got a lot of ASE's that took their place for a good price on ebay.[/QUOTE]

17. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well I understand you want shiny coins, but the haze really doesn't effect the value much, so why don't you just eBay them as Bullion then buy some nice pieces, you will only take a small hit.

18. Agilmore01

I don't care about the shininess of the coins. I was just wondering if the haze would affect resale. Now it's become a mission to find a way that works on the haze.

19. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

To collectors, of course. Many that buy bullion won't buy things that spot or haze. Maples and Philharmonics are 2 that many will shy away from, and now the brits seem to be infected. If you're just buying it as bullion and plan to just sell it at bullion, then it doesn't make too much of a difference, but it does make a difference.

Put it this way, if you walk up to table at a coin show and they have 1 oz rounds, some are clean and white, others are hazy. They tell you the price is the same, which are you going to purchase?

20. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

I've bought and sold quite a bit of bullion on eBay. The hazing shouldn't affect the premium at all on the private mint stuff but will probably lose about %50 of whatever premium you would have got on the government mint issued bullion. This is what I have noticed in my experience anyway.

Agilmore01 likes this.
  21. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is "milk spots" which e*E*est or MS70 won't remove.

Draft saved Draft deleted