Problem Coins don't have to be a Problem!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 8, 2013.

1. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Same here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

@jwitten once said that he bought a holed 1841-C quarter eagle for under $200 and resold it for over $700.

(He managed to get it for such a low price because there are other people out there who "wouldn't even take it for free".)

@-jeffB said that he has gotten offers of $500 and $700 for a holed re-engraved beat up XF details proof trade dollar. He got it in an Ebay junk lot for $190 which included lots of key date and semi key coins, including a buffalo he sold for a third of the lot's price.

I tagged you guys to confirm this.

jwitten likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I don't remember the exact sale price, but ya, I bought a holed C mint $2 1/2 for about $180. People overlooked it because it was holed. My sale price was close to that I believe (after I got it graded).

mark_h likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yup. (I try not to post about it in every thread; after all, it's not like it's Redwin's cent struck on a dime or something. ;))

To be fair, there was only one person willing to go $700, but one was all I needed. I encountered quite a few people who would've gone $200 or so. This is for a coin that, as an unimpaired lower-grade proof, would go for $1000-2000 or so -- but this coin was impaired six ways from Sunday (holed, graffitied, worn, rim-dented, and probably cleaned to boot).

That $190 actually includes the fee for getting it slabbed, but the lot it covered also included the Buffalo you mentioned, a 1912-S V-nickel, and some semi-key Lincoln culls.

I'm a bottom-feeder. I rarely buy coins that are "showpieces" or even "gorgeous examples". But I have a lot of fun down here in the muck, and I have lots of company.

Draft saved Draft deleted