Not the usual lot of wheats (more News from the Poke)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by -jeffB, May 14, 2013.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Continuing to pore over, analyze, and photograph last week's eBay "pig in a poke", this time focusing on the roll or so of wheat cents it promised to include. When I got it, I saw right away that there were a lot of steelies, in really terrible shape -- rusted, roasted, and otherwise generally abused. I finally fished out maybe 40 or so; I'm thinking about (ugh) cleaning the worst of the rust off them, and using them to make local "take a penny" boxes more interesting.

There were also a few novelty memorial cents, gold-plated or otherwise PMD'd -- and these five other cents.

First one I turned up:

22d-obv.jpg 22d-rev.jpg

I was pretty surprised -- yeah, it's a bit abused, but not the sort of thing I expected to find in a lot like this.

Oh, yeah, that five-attachments limit -- guess I'll break this into multiple posts...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

Next, interspersed with lots of nickels and IHCs, these two:

10s-obv.jpg 15s-rev.jpg

15s-obv.jpg 10s-rev.jpg

They've both led a hard life, and that 1910S looks like it's been busy as a zombie, but hey, legible dates. :)

4. -jeffB

After quite a bit more searching, I turned up this one:

24d-obv.jpg 24d-rev.jpg

Had to stare pretty hard before I was sure that it was really a 24D, but it's pretty definite in-hand.

The VERY LAST coin in the bottom of the bag was this hideous green lump:

green-obv.jpg 31s-rev.jpg

So much verdigris on the obverse, I could barely see that there was a date. I didn't even really want to pick it up; it looked like just about the worst of the bag. But I figured I'd try oblique light on it, and here's what I found:

31s-obv.jpg

Alas, I found no SVDB or 14-D -- at least not in this batch. :) I can't imagine where this batch came from; I mean, it came from a seller who claims to represent a pawn-shop, but how did this set of culls fall in with a bunch of dateless Buffalos, bent IHCs and rusted-out steelies?

In any event, I've also now obtained my first bottle of Verdi-Care, and I think this 31-S will be my star patient -- AFTER I practice on a number of commons.

5. -jeffB

BTW, BadThad, if you're reading this, I'd welcome advice on the best approach to using Verdi-Care (soak or swab?) on the 31-S, 10-S and 15-S...

6. f0rte

f0rte Barber of Seville

Send that 1931-S to NCS, they seem to do a nice job of restoring coins.

7. -jeffB

I think it's WAY too far gone to be worth NCS treatment. Pretty sure there are pits under there; even if it ended up with F details, I don't think I'd ever be able to sell it for more than the cost of conservation + slabbing. I might consider that path for an SVDB -- but, again, it wasn't that good a lot of culls. :)

8. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Those coins really look like metal detector finds. I'm not too sure there will be much you can do to restore them. Still a nice score and good luck!

9. -jeffB

I'm pretty sure you're right. There were quite a lot of other coins (large cents, nickels) that have that look as well. It struck me as weird, though, that I got all those junk steelies, these five semi-keys, and hardly any other common Lincolns. Almost makes me think the lot might have been searched, only in reverse...

Draft saved Draft deleted