Prepping threads have no place in a bullion forum

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, May 12, 2017.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I find posts about prepping to be totally inappropriate for a bullion forum. This would be as if someone went to a foodie forum and kept starting threads about how they are stocking their panic room with bags of flour and canned goods.

There are prepping websites out there. Why don't you people go find them and have your discussion there?

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Face it, my man. It's who they are. For many guys on here, if there were no apocalypse to prep for, there would be no need to be interested in bullion. They can't pronounce it, but it's their raison d'etre.

scottishmoney and rickmp like this.
  4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL myownprivy and V. Kurt Bellman HAVE SPOKEN.

Lighten up, guys. If you don't like someone's post, don't read it.

If you seriously have a problem, report the poster to the moderators and let them handle it as they see fit, if at all. You, like other posters, are guests on their platform.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? lol :happy:

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  5. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

If prepping threads have no place in the bullion forum, what about anti-prepping-thread threads?

6. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing a anti-pseudo-intellectual thread or maybe a anti-Keynesian-clown thread.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Of course it is only my outlook of the past, and not official CT view, but the bullion section was IMO ,teetering on being moved over to the politics, religion, and current event sister site due to its internal friction at one time. The function of the site is education, namely numismatics, but some overlap was allowed as long as they did not interfere with the primary. Many would argue bullion has no place at all on a numismatic forum, but the owner has graciously included it, so one should be happy as there are plenty of other sites with different rules. The rules stand. Any posts outside of the rules will have repercussions. I would be happy with what we have, no matter which 'side' of the 'coin' I was on. Jim

Alegandron and Kentucky like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Allow me an attempt to summarize: CT is pretty much the ONLY significant numismatic site to have the guts to include a Bullion Investing section, because it rapidly can turn into a "problem child" because of the other opinions it "hangs around with". Be glad and participate, or don't - your call.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

There's your problem, longarm - that's INSTANTLY politics. Go ahead, make my day.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Setting aside the other controversy, the substance of the econo-politics, your post and the reactions to it, prove my point. You seem to think bullion is separable from prepping. Some people just don't.

By the way, once Family Guy has spent an entire episode making fun of a movement, as they have with preppers, its Warholian 15 minutes are up.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's the wrong way to prep if someone were a prepper but they are closely tied. I do disagree with the notion of just wanting something swept away because you don't agree with it though even if I don't agree with their position.

Also there are plenty of collectors that have become collectors because they had started as a bullion/prepper during the run up so it isn't all bad

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Bullion is entirely separable from prepping. Here's why.

Prepping is an activity of accumulating things necessary for survival in the event of a natural disaster, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, UN invasion, biblical end times, breakdown of government and society, or anything else within that realm of the unlikely to the impossible. Prepping is done by people who believe those things are more likely to happen than the general public's concern. For them, bullion, but particularly easily recognizable 90% American silver circulating currency is stockpiled for a future bartering tool.

Bullion investing: Bullion is precious metals issued in typically 99%+ purity, issued in consistent denominations, to be used as an investment, often physically purchased and stored by the investor.
    1) However, many government issued coins containing silver or gold have also become bullion when their numismatic value is particularly low.

2) Due to a wide variety of bullion being issued in recent years, it has become highly collectible. Some of bullion is now issued as semi-numismatic (e.g. privy bullion coins), adding to the collectibility of the bullion and adding a whole new dimension to the world of numismatics.

For those two reasons, bullion investing is part of the numismatics world. Prepping is not. Prepping carries with it political and economic assumptions and is far removed from the collecting component of numismatics.

Preppers should post in this forum if they want to talk about the bullion and currency they like and buy. They just shouldn't post constant threads about why they are buying it and what they want to do with it (that act is prepping).

The key point here is this:

Bullion investors can and do talk about the bullion they buy and what it's worth, but we don't talk about why we buy metals as part of our investment.

Preppers cannot talk about prepping without talking about that they are preparing for some unlikely event in the future.

If bullion investors/collectors were constantly talking about buying their silver and gold because of how terrible the economy is, or how bad the president is, or how big banks control everything, then their topics would be political and should be removed. However, people like myself are fully capable of talking about bullion in terms of the investment and collection that it is for me, without going into why I invest such and such of my income into it.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?"

Chris

14. mynamespat

It's always better in the morning.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

JBGood likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This is me. I came to numismatics from accumulating 90% silve U.S. coins. I found the Peace dollar interesting and fell in love with the design (still like it!) and looked at more types of U.S. coins I never even saw before that I thought were very cool. Large cents? Odd denominations? Two types of three cents? Well things sort of went from there and I became less interested in acquiring junk U.S. silver and more interested in other things.

Alegandron and Stevearino like this.
  17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

How about prepping for fun and profit ??

JBGood likes this.
  18. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I don't know. The Reptilian people keep stealing it.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Even you have NO IDEA just how truthful that statement is. But what you miss is that there are at least 5-7 regular posters on CT who are EVERY BIT as much preppers as bullion collectors, and like all other preppers, they are consumed by apocalyptic thoughts, and have an irrepressible need to spread their, umm, vision (???). Either that, or they believe that the country's central bank and its Board are the locus of all evil.

20. mynamespat

Anyone who wants to fill up their basement with a lifetime's worth of perishable goods is ok in my book. By the way, have I mentioned my uncle's gun shop....

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Speaking of... local "Friends of the NRA" dinner tonight in my home territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted