Premium Apportionment

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by avr5700, May 15, 2016.

?

What portion of your physical 'bullion' is composed of premium issues?

1. >90% - What is this 'spot' if which you speak?

42.9%
  2. 75-90

14.3%
  3. 50-74

7.1%
  4. 25-49

14.3%
  5. 10-24

7.1%
  6. <10% - I named my dog 'spot'.

14.3%
  1. avr5700

avr5700 Member

Just curious about where I fit in the cosmos of physical metal buying...vote away!

For this poll's purpose, any silver that is almost always priced at $2 or more per troy ounce over spot is a premium item. Many of the more uncommon rounds/bars are premium by this definition.

I estimate my collection is >90% premium, some of it at crazy levels, but most of it in the $3-5 over zone (silver).

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

What exactly does that mean?

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It means you paid more than 190% of spot price for bullion coins/rounds/bars.

I had to vote that because my one and only bullion piece right now is a wildly toned ASE that I paid well over 15x spot for. :p

brandon spiegel likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Holy crap - who would do that?

Paul M. likes this.
  6. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

No I think he's saying 90% of his holdings were bought at a premium.

As for me, my bullion is as close to spot as possible while being a government prodcut. So I have a lot of silver maples.

7. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

I think he means greater than (>, is the symbol for greater than) 90% of his bullion is "premium" (more than $2 above spot price) bullion.

I mainly buy government issued bullion so the majority of mine would be "premium" according to the OP.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I misread a little bit. :) lol

9. avr5700

avr5700 Member

That's right, over 90% of my holdings were attained at spot +$2 or more.

Also worth noting that the $2 is a silver focused amount...hard to achieve that one with gold...HA maybe with gold, it would be more like $50 an ounce. I do far better with hitting spot there.

10. Markus1959

All depends what your holdings are - just silver bullion or actual coins that are collectible and go up in value from their rarity? If you are banking on just Silver, forget it as it only goes up or down by a minuscule amount per day!! Realistically you you have to deal in the millions of dollars to make any money in todays market!!

slackaction1 and Paul M. like this.
  11. avr5700

avr5700 Member

Indeed, I'm very silver focused at the moment. Silver is pretty volatile but day trading it isn't an aim of mine. That could lead to some serious pepto bismol overdoses. Buy and hold...and for that I'm pleased to see the drops, despite the pesky premiums tending to stick or even rise in relative percentage terms.

To answer your question...bullion, not collectables. There is certainly a gray zone on this one though. The bullion based items that come with significant premiums do tend to act like collectables and do some strange things that belie their sheer number in the marketplace. So it might be said that folks buying the higher premium 'bullion' (e.g. Australian Lunars) are in a quasi-collectable mode of acquisition. I'm none too sure how wise it is to buy heavily into that segment of the market. It could crash or go out of vogue...

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Desire_Silver

Desire_Silver New Member

I am fairly new at silver collecting so I don't have a ton yet.

However, government issued coins interest me much more than rounds/bars; even though I have some rounds at low premium over spot to increase my total ounces. Because of my interest, I feel the majority of my silver is premium (+$2 or more). Even an ASE or Maple would fit that.

Draft saved Draft deleted