Precious Metals And The Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Joe2007, Feb 21, 2020.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Too simplistic in my mind. If you know some genetics ( DNA, RNA, Mutations), The virus has already produced several mutations from the original found in bats, and of course no one can predict which will be next and what effect it will have. And the virus can do this and incorporate it in hours or days, unlike humans . A good viral mutation, makes it more capable of infecting and also surviving in the host ( Humans), keeping them alive as they reproduce ( sometimes host death interrupts them). Nature prefers viruses to keep the host alive until all are affected. So figuring the weak die and the healthy will stay alive is often not true in the long run, they may be producing stronger viruses that can evade the immune system of most. Epidemiologists know this, most others yapping one way or the other may not. I do not know the leaning of this publication, but they have the science.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/coronaviruss-genetics-reveal-its-global-travels-67183

Jim

ripple likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yes it is simplistic. I haven't heard anyone question the effects that air pollution and 5G have on Chinese immune systems. And they're not talking much about what a tyrant's dream it must be to quarantine cities and have drones fly around enforcing everything--just a happy coincidence.

What's next? The UN holds an emergency session and declares that money is a virus carrier that must urgently be replaced with digital currency?

Before this is over they won't be able to piss in a Shanghai alley without a picture and report going to the Ministry of Urination Control.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  4. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

Like in 1918. A mere 5% of the population died.

5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Can I choose the 5% of the population that gets to die this time? I have some great ideas.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Here's something I don't get about actual prepping -- laying in enough freeze-dried and canned food to last for a few weeks, or months, or years.

The stuff keeps a long time, but not forever. If I buy it now, but don't need it for ten years -- well, eating ten-year-old canned stuff may not be that much better than starving.

"No problem," I've heard, "just cycle through the stuff so that you replace it every few years." The problem: I don't eat this stuff under normal circumstances. I do go through a little bit of canned soup, and canned baked beans are easier to deal with than cooking a huge batch from scratch. But canned vegetables? Nope, fresh or frozen taste better and retain more vitamins.

If I make canned food part of my routine diet, I'm probably shortening my lifespan, by cutting my vitamin intake and increasing my salt intake. If I need to do that as part of a prepping plan, it really CAN hurt to be prepared.

The best plan I've been able to come up with is to lay in a short supply of canned/non-perishable goods, and figure on replacing it six months or a year before expiration, and donating the rotated-out stuff to a food bank. (If I couldn't afford or couldn't obtain food for my family, you bet I'd be willing to eat from cans.)

How do other people deal with this? Or am I just way too fussy about eating from cans?

Rono and medoraman like this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I think you're missing the big picture. Prepping is akin to eating or starving. I prefer to eat.

crazyd likes this.
  8. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

As much as I despise many preppers. I think you're totally missing the point. Hoarding canned food and having to replace it before it goes bad because you never had an emergency is hardly any different than having a fire extinguisher than you eventually have to throw out and replace, or a smoke detector you have to replace batteries in because you never used them.

We have to endure a small cost for these minor insurance policies. "Prepping" with canned food or gallons of water is no different. Perhaps it is only different if you decide you don't want it to go totally to waste, so therefore you eat it.

Lastly, if you are compelled to eat it, don't worry one but. Almost every canned food can be purchased without added salt, so your point about hurting yourself with excess sodium is moot. And if you're worried about not getting enough sodium when the zombies attack, buy a container of 79cent salt that never goes bad. Not to mention, just because you buy certain canned items that have slightly lower vitamin content than their fresh or flashfrozen counterparts, no one is saying you shouldn't still be eating fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables, right? So what's your worry?

9. desertgem

But if a real emergency happens quickly, the commercial internet will be gone, so how can preppers look up how to preserve fresh food and clean water to drink, or make a spear to catch feral dogs and cats for snacks? Oh Myyyy Godddd I have no service, no phone, no Utubie, and no real books to look it up.

apologies to Meow, Coincorgie, and all other furries. Jim

10. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

It's shelf life is 25-30 years and its good until that time if stored in a mostly cool mostly dry location. In 10 years, or even 15 it will good as new. . Freeze dried and vacuum sealed - open and add hot water. Buy it and forget about it. I finally got to 30-60 days of food over the course of two years buying 2-3 cans (or pouches) here and there when there were sales. I will not be buying anymore. I am done for 25 years.

I understand the concerns about eating freeze dried canned food - I had them myself but the brand I get is used extensively by backpackers and campers. I have watched you tube videos of families trying it. I tried some during some winter storms when I did not want to run out ....and it was delicious. You can get some to try yourself (but not now of course).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s why owning a lot of ammo will make you the most popular guy in the neighborhood!

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think you're the most popular guy by definition once you're the last survivor.

13. longnine009

Why is there so much hate toward Preppers? Oh that's right, like Stackers they're betting against the continuity of the precious status quo.

Speaking of which, how about "my precious" up 1,300 points? Congratulations, it's a scene right out of El Cid. Remember at the end where El Cid is deader than dung pucks so they strapped him into his horsie and "thus the Cid rode out the gates of history and into legend."

And that poor horse, riding the beach with a corps on it's back forever. Well, I suppose the load got lighter as it rotted.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  14. longnine009

^Corpse--sorry about that Cid.

15. longnine009

Oh look Grandmaster Zomb cut 50 basis points.

EL CID rides again! To the Bop horsie.

slackaction1 likes this.
  16. longnine009

Let's see now, Zombie Fulfillment Center cuts welfare check for 50 basis points and dow drops 400. Yo Grandmaster Zomb maybe you need to throw in a free limo for everyone. And don't forget Cid. His horsie must be getting tired.

17. desertgem

Well here comes step 3 of dunking the stackers. Change rate down 1/2%, stocks go down and PM go up ......people buy PM ( Sell folks, sell) instead of buying property or good cheap stocks.........PM sellers rake in the cash.....Then Rinse and repeat. Stocks go up, PM go down......etc. IMO, Jim

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  18. longnine009

Giddy-up! Giddy-up!

19. longnine009

We're not allowed to give our reasons for buying (and holding) PM's instead of "good cheap stocks." That would be political. Or if someone could manage to tip toe around the politics and explain it, the silver haters would immediately go into their big act of pretending they don't understand. Then your tip toeing around the politics and the punji sticks the silver haters are laying with their questions and soooooo confused head scratching act. The more "game questions" a Stacker replies to, the more likely he'll hit a punji stick-- "ding-ding."

Maybe that's why so few Stackers bother with this place anymore.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    longarm likes this.
  20. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I have a 401K with a balanced fund based on retirement age, I have some stock in with the company i work for , I am getting closer to owning my own home, and I have some (but not a ton) of silver and gold. I enjoy investing in all these - feels good to be diversified.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  21. longnine009

Draft saved Draft deleted