Pre-33 Premiums

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by StashTreasure, Jan 20, 2018.

1. StashTreasure

StashTreasure Never pass up silver or gold.

I can buy double eagles, eagles, and half eagles for around spot all day long. However why are the premiums so high on quarter eagles and dollars?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm not much into U.S. gold coins, but articles in Numismatic News are telling me most common dates/grades are going for around a little over spot at this time with better dates/grades holding their own. Something to do with people leaning more towards stocks right now with a lack of interest in common gold coins. But let some others chime in with their own thoughts.

4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Generally spoken: The smaller the gold coin the bigger is the premium.
    A lot of people can afford to buy a Gold coin around 200-300 Dollars...but what's about a Double Eagle?

brandon spiegel likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Most people can afford to buy smaller gold coins, thus, the higher premium.

brandon spiegel likes this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

In addition to the affordability of the smaller coins, they are also more popular among those who would wear gold coins as jewelry, further increasing the demand for smaller coins over large. Large gold coins are quite heavy, and tend not to serve that purpose well.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Is there a survivorship issue, given that the smaller coins may have circulated more, were probably more easily lost, and were certainly used more in jewelry?

8. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

I've recently gotten a double eagle (Liberty) and both types of $10 golds, all slabbed MS63 very close to spot. I think it's a buyers market right now. 10 years ago the 63s were significantly higher than the gold price. This is the time to buy in my opinion!

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That too. There’s literally millions of graded $20s.

Draft saved Draft deleted