Post your slabbed world coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by NLL, Jun 27, 2017.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thanks to @lordmarcovan I have been inspired to create this thread. Last November I won this coin in a contest that @Jason Hoffpauir held. It is also my first slabbed coin! Thanks Jason! So please post your slabbed world coins for our viewing pleasure! 20170622_173241.jpg 20170622_173231.jpg

Mad Stax, ddddd, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like to self slab mine. 2012 Moose 1.JPG

Mad Stax, ddddd, Curtisimo and 3 others like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have thousands raw.. not too many slabbed, but these are 2 of my favorite -
    East Africa 5C.JPG East Africa 10C.JPG

dwhiz, ddddd, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

A few, I'll start with this one

Iceland 1986 500 Kronur slab.jpg

tobiask, dwhiz, ddddd and 4 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not all of mine in the "Eclectic Box" are slabbed yet, but a number will be going off for certification and encapsulation soon. I'm hoping to "catch up on my plastic" by the end of summer, so I can get back to paying attention to the coins.

I do try to have good pictures of all of the coins in this, my primary collection, but up to now, the slab pictures I've had have been of rather poor quality, often done myself, on a flatbed scanner. They're a pretty big contrast with the professional coin photos.

Still, rather than post all of mine, I will do as @paddyman98 did and post just two of my favorites.

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great Britain: gilt copper proof halfpenny of George III, Soho Mint, 1806

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    tobiask, Stork, FitzNigel and 7 others like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

One of my favorite toned world coins:
    IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG

H8_modern, Stork, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

And a coin from the Austrian Niobium series:

IMG_5651.JPG IMG_5652.JPG

Stork, Curtisimo, sonlarson and 5 others like this.
  9. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I found a similar looking coin to your first one in a dime roll.

10. lordmarcovan

11. lordmarcovan

Post a picture of it. Would be pretty hilarious/amazing if you found a Viking-era hammered silver penny in a dime roll! LOL

Wouldn't happen, though, for three reasons:
    1. It's bigger than a dime.
    2. It's wafer thin, like all hammered coins. Would immediately stand out. Though larger than a dime, it is thinner than one. You could bend or break it easily.
    3. It's a thousand-year-old coin. Sure, they're found buried in pots in the ground in England (this one was a hoard coin), but I don't imagine they're found in many piggy banks in modern suburbia. ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I will post a picture in the morning. I agree with you that it does sound ridiculous but maybe I found a different type of silver penny or a crude fake.

13. lordmarcovan

You could have found a replica, 'tis true. They're out there. There are movie prop coins that look like this. And I think some of the Lord of the Rings movie coins did, too. Even a replica or fantasy coin like that would be a fun coin roll hunting find. You have my curiosity piqued.

14. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

So I just took a couple quick pictures. 20170627_232959.jpg 20170627_233012.jpg
    What do you think @lordmarcovan?

Stork likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Holy crap! You were right!

That coin is a copy, all right... but it's a copy of an Aethelred II penny like mine!

That's nuts! What a bizarre coin roll hunting find!

And cool. Maybe only worth a buck or so as a novelty, but ... that's a trip!

16. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

So what gives it away as a copy?

17. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help on this coin. I had an idea that it was a replica of a Aethelred ll penny but I never asked anyone because I was afraid of the truth. Can I ask you some questions later about metal detecting? Thanks for your time and I hope you have a good rest of your night.
    Nick L

18. lordmarcovan

1. It looks cast.
    2. The details aren't as sharp as a struck piece. They're "mushy".
    3. It's a bit too round. (Then again, maybe not- my real one is pretty round.)
    Edit to add:
    4. I'm not sure the color is right for silver. ​

I am 99.5% sure it's a fake, but just to be totally sure, post it in its own thread for other opinions. Title the thread "Is this medieval penny a copy?" or something like that. Tell the story, and link back to this thread, if you like.

dwhiz likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

It's a cool find, even if it isn't worth much. Could have been a movie prop!

Sure- ask away on the metal detecting questions, either in a PM conversation or in a General Discussion thread, as you prefer.

20. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for always being kind and helpful. Oh and I might mention you might see me on CU if I get accepted.

21. lordmarcovan

"Excepted?" o_O

Oh! You mean "accepted"?

I don't think that will be an issue. Pretty much anyone can join.

That's a good place to learn. There are some real heavyweight people there - the movers and shakers in the US coin market. I think they'll like a bright young YN with a good attitude like you. In the last 16 years there, I've seen more than a couple of YNs move up from being young collectors like yourself to becoming professionals in the industry.

I spend most of my time over here now (I hate the new software on the CU site), but tell 'em lordmarcovan sent you and you should have some folks looking after you. I am probably the #7th member over there by post count (but not by expertise or budget!).

PS- you'll also already know a lot of the folks who post in both places. There is a good bit of overlap.

Draft saved Draft deleted