Featured Post Your Renaissance Coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ycon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

A striking bearded portrait of King François I wearing a hat with a little crown on top

FRANCE François I Teston de Bretagne n.d. (1515-40) 4th type minted at Rennes

France Francois I Teston de Bretagne nd 1515-40 obv 641.jpg France Francois I Teston de Bretagne nd 1515-40 rev 644.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

Italy SICILY Emperor Charles V 2 Tari 1540

Sicily Charles V 2 Tari 1540 obv 108.jpg Sicily Charles V 2 Tari 1540 rev 110.jpg

4. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

@talerman, love that unusual portrait of Francis I

talerman likes this.
  5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Is this considered a Renaissance Coin?

IMG_20210624_110058.jpg IMG_20210624_105953.jpg

Kurisu, Theodosius, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  6. talerman

Mkm5 likes this.
  7. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'm quite fond of this one! It's a pocket carry and toning nicely!

8. talerman

Austria-Hungary FERDINAND I (Archduke of Austria and King of Rome, Hungary & Bohemia 1531-58 and subsequently Emperor 1558-64) Groschen 1554 Vienna mint

Not a rare coin but a nice Renaissance portrait

Austria-Hungary Ferd I Groschen 1554 Vienna obv504.jpg Austria-Hungary Ferd I Groschen 1554 Vienna rev 509.jpg

9. talerman

Poland (at the time) RIGA Stefan Batory Groschen (grosz) 1582

Riga Stefan Bathory Groschen 1582 obv 308.jpg
    Riga Stefan Bathory Groschen 1582 rev 314.jpg

10. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Nice(!) Maybe even nice enough to slab. Touch of strike weakness more evident than wear, very close to mint state.

panzerman and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. talerman

Interesting you say that. The auction house graded it AU/XF+. Given the strike weakness or wear on the legend on the obv. and on the crossed keys on the rev., I graded it VF +. For me an EF coin has to have totally legible legends. But maybe I am too tough/old-fashioned.

12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Italy  I-VII 7a.jpg
    An Early Dated Italian copper piece, this one is cast.
    1494= MCCCCLXXXXIIII
    Levinson: VII-7a

13. talerman

Italy MILAN Francesco II Sforza in name of Emperor Charles V Testone n.d.(1522-35) With Charles V's bust and the Pillars of Hercules

When Charles V re-conquered Milan from the French in 1521, Francesco was appointed duke, the last of the family to hold that title. His sovereignty remained circumscribed by the military occupation of Milan by Spanish troops. This coin in the name of Charles reflects this.

Milan Francesco II Sforza in name of Chas V Teston nd 1522-35 obv 954.jpg Milan Francesco II Sforza in name of Chas V Teston nd 1522-35 rev 957.jpg

lordmarcovan, Egry, Chris B and 6 others like this.
  14. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

image00587.jpg
    House of Savoy-Emanuele Filiberto (1553-1580)
    Lira of 3 for Scudo 1562 - Mint: Chambéry - Obverse: armored bust of the Duke on the right - Reverse: legend on two lines within an oak crown - gr. 12.37 - Hole due to a minting defect, otherwise better than BB (CNI I / 200/101) (Sim. N. 32/4) (Ravegnani III / 148/7)

One of the iconic Savoy coins, the Instar Omnium Lira is known in Pietmontese as the "Testa d 'fer". The obverse shows a magnificent armored and draped bust of the Duke, while the reverse has the motto INSTAR OMNIVM, surrounded by an oak wreath. They were minted in Aosta (or Asti?), Bourg en Bresse, Chambery, Nice, Turin, Vercelli and perhaps another unidentified Savoyard mint.

The dies for the coin were engraved by the great medallist Alessandro Cesati, who was commissioned by Emanuele Filiberto as part of his currency reform.

The motto translates to "Equal for all." It is likely inspired by a line from Cicero ("Brutus", 191) where he writes "Plato mihi unus instar est omnium" ("Plato by himself is in my eyes worth them all").

15. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

@talerman posted his gorgeous copy of this iconic coin recently, and here is mine:

image00187-1.jpg

cmezner, PaulTudor, tibor and 2 others like this.
  16. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Ducat, struck in Harderwijk (the provincial mint of the Gelderland province) in 1648
    Delmonte 649, Friedberg 237

upload_2021-9-24_21-11-24.png

17. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Arrived today:

2106423_1628839768.l.jpg
    Venice, Lira Nicolo Tron undated (1471-1473) Obverse: Bust of Doge left TRONVS. DVX. NICOLAVS, Reverse: Lion within inner circle MARCVS SANCTVS, 6.45 grammes, Biaggi#2901, Paolucci 2

The Lira Tron is a very significant Renaissance coin for several reasons: It represents the first use of the Lira--money of account since the monetary reforms of Charlemagne--as an actual minted and circulating denomination.

Secondly, it is the first and only portrait of a doge in the whole of venetian coinage (excepting one other trial proof for Tron's successor-- and Tron's own ae coinage). There was an uproar that the coin was two imperial and the deeply republican Venetians banned all Doges from having their likeness on money, following Tron's death.

Finally, the coin represents one of the first realistic portraits on a coin during the renaissance--following the ducat of Francesco Sforza, but predating and prefiguring by two years the testone of Gian Galeazzo Sforza.

The name of the engraver is known: Antonio della Moneta, or Anthony of the mint.

18. talerman

Spanish Netherlands OVERIJSSEL Philip II of Spain Filipsdaalder 1563

Overijssel Philipsdaalder 1563 obv 152.jpg Overijssel Philipsdaalder 1563 rev 154.jpg

Kurisu, lordmarcovan, ycon and 2 others like this.
  19. Tony0585

Tony0585 New Member

Can anyone help me with this coin? Any info about it or a value?
    3 Ducats - Ferdinand
    Maria wedding of Ferdinand Maria and
    Adelheid

thank you

20. talerman

I am in New York. I just went to an exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum, The Medici: Portraits and Politics 1512-1570. An exceptional exhibition of wonderful Renaissance portraits, including some like those in Florence coins of the period. Heartily recommended.

ycon likes this.
  21. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

funny, I was there today as well

talerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted