Featured Post Your Renaissance Coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ycon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Oklahomacoinguy

Oklahomacoinguy Active Member

Philip ii of spain as duke of the spanish netherlands. One of my favorite coins. Also has his titles as king of England as he was married to Mary I

Attached Files:

talerman and ycon like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oklahomacoinguy

Henry viii half groat. Probably one of england's most famous and infamous kings

Attached Files:

talerman likes this.
  4. Oklahomacoinguy

Edward vi fine silver shilling. I still need one of Elizabeth.

Attached Files:

5. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Jeanne D'Albret Teston, 1579 download.png

panzerman likes this.
  6. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I posted this coin today on the Rulers who had been given nicknames thread. I am taking the liberty of also posting it here since it has a fine Renaissance portrait and I think the two threads have somewhat different audiences

LORRAINE Antoine the Good 1/4 Teston 1533

Lorraine Antoine Qtr Teston 1533 obv 765.jpg Lorraine Antoine Qtr Teston 1533 rev 773.jpg

robinjojo, Chris B, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great idea! Its definately a renaissance coin.:happy:

8. panzerman

Here is one from France
    Ecu d'or 1567-C Saint-Lo Mint
    Charles IX 1560-74

Charles became King when his brother Francois II died in 1560. At first his mother Catharine de Medici acted as regent. This time in France saw religious wars between the Calvinist Huguneots and Catholics. In 1574 Charles died of TB. He was succeeded by Henry III. charles-ix-cu-d-or-au-1362595-XL.jpg

robinjojo, AuldFartte, tibor and 2 others like this.
  9. talerman

Italy MILAN Ludovico Maria Sforza, il Moro, Regent for nephew Giovanni Galeazzo Maria Testone n.d. (1481-94) with both busts

A typical Italian Renaissance history. The 7-year-old Gian Galeazzo Sforza inherited the duchy after his father, Galeazzo Maria, Ludovico's brother, was assassinated in 1476. After a bitter struggle for the regency with the boy's mother, Bona of Savoy, Ludovico emerged as victor in 1481 and seized control of the government of Milan and ruled as Regent for 13 years. In 1494 Gian Galeazzo died under suspicious circumstances and Ludovico became duke. However, in 1498 Louis XII of France, who had a hereditary claim to Milan through his Visconti grandmother, descended upon Milan. Ludovico was captured in April 1500 and spent the rest of his life in imprisonment in France. He died in 1508. In 1512 Swiss mercenaries under the Pope & Emperor would restore his son Massimiliano as Duke.

Ludovico Moro Reg for Gian Galeazzo Testone nd LD obv 194.jpg Ludovico Moro Reg for Gian Galeazzo Testone nd LD rev 197.jpg

KSorbo, robinjojo, tibor and 6 others like this.
  10. talerman

A modest little bianco in not great condition but quite a nice portrait

Italy REGGIO EMILIA Ercole II d'Este Bianco n.d. (1542-44)

Reggio Emilia Ercole II Bianco w rosettes on rev nd obv 231.jpg Reggio Emilia Ercole II Bianco w rosettes on rev nd rev 234.jpg

panzerman, KSorbo, ycon and 5 others like this.
  11. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Here is my latest acquisition, arrived this morning. A very rare pattern testone or medalet of Francesco II Gonzaga. Although it is ex. jewelry and damaged it still displays an amazing Renaissance portrait, and reverse bearing the unmistakable influence of the Mantua court painter, Andrea Mantegna. The testone itself is likely the work of either Gian Marco Cavalli or Bartolomeo Melioli, both masters of the Mantuan mint, and important renaissance medalists.

88D.jpg 88R.jpg

MANTOVA. FRANCESCO II GONZAGA (1484-1519) Pattern of double testone or medal attributed to Gian Marco Cavalli or Bartolomeo Melioli.
    Cu gr. 14,84 O/ FRANCISCVS MAR MANTVE IIII armoured bust L. R/ DVINVM DARE HVMANVM ACCIP Il Il Marquis in front, on a pedestal, gives alms to three persons; exergue: LIBERALI / TAS. CNI 24. Armand II, 99, 3. Ex Nummis Historia VII, 111. Ravegnani Morosini 7.

12. panzerman

Papal States/ Roman Senate Issue
    Rome Mint
    AV Ducato ND (1450) MS-66 4232825l.jpg

13. talerman

Italy SAVOY Carlo Emanuele I Ducatone 1590

Savoy Carlo Emanuele I Ducatone 1590 D8378 obv 151.jpg Savoy Carlo Emanuele I Ducatone 1590 D8378 rev 152.jpg

ycon, PaulTudor and Chris B like this.
  14. talerman

Very nice but it looks to me as if the Renaissance had not yet reached Rome in 1450 - or at least not the coinage

panzerman likes this.
  15. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1495 I - Pfalz Heidelberg copy.jpg
    The new ID is I-A333 in Bob Levinson's book, 2nd ed.
    Listed as R6, unique or likely unique. Pictured in Bob's book.

16. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1436-i28b.jpg
    An R5. Less than 3 collectible. 1436-i28b.jpg

17. panzerman

I think scholars are all over the map with the precise timeline of the Renaissance Period. You are correct that Northern Italy (Milan/ Florence/ Venice/ Genoa) experienced it earlier.:)

18. Larry49

Larry49 Active Member

VeniceA.jpg VeniceB.jpg
    ITALY. Venice. Mocenigo, ND. Andrea Gritti (1523-39). NGC EF-45.

Just after the establishment in Venice of the first Ghetto (1516). The Jewish of Venice was growing following the expulsion from Spain (1492), and Jews were restricted to this part of the city. Today the Ghetto is a hip and popular neighborhood. The synagogues are still there.

talerman and panzerman like this.
  19. kyle young

kyle young New Member

I've never been on a forum before and I'm not sure I'm doing this right, I just joined.
    I am a 3rd generation veteran. I never met my grandfather who was in WWII. He re-uped after retiring from the Navy when WWII started. He was a Chief Machinist Mate and traveled all over the world. This coin is the only thing I have of his. Does anyone recognize what country it is from or can you tell me anything about it?
    Thanks in advance for looking.
    Kyle

20. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

My stimulus coin:
    image.png
    Milan, Charles V. 1535-1554. AR Testone da 25 Soldi (27mm, 7.73 g, 8h). IMP • CAES • CAROLVS • V • AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / SALVS A[V]G VSTA, personification of Po River reclining right on upturned urn from which water flows below, left hand holding scepter resting on raised left knee; to right Salus standing left, feeding serpent rising from altar at left and holding scepter; PΛDVS • MLI in exergue. CNI V 50; Crippa 12.

The dies of this coin were executed by Leone Leoni, making it, in my opinion, one of the true masterpieces of Renaissance coinage.

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

High Five!

ycon and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted