Featured Post Your Renaissance Coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ycon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Wonderfull examples, as usual:)
    Here is another of mine...
    AV Dukat 1590 Prague Mint
    Rudolf II HRE 2c5ffa050724cbedab559f6cdb40f968.jpg

scottishmoney, Cucumbor and talerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Wonderful example, as usual

panzerman likes this.
  4. talerman

Italy PAPAL STATES Pope Clement VII 1/4 Ducato n.d. (1527)

These 1/4 Ducats (and similar 1/2 ducats and ducats) were struck to pay the 400,000 ducat ransom for the Imperial troops to leave Rome after they had sacked the city. Clement VII was a Medici and the obverse features the famous 6 ball arms of the Medici family.

Papal States Clement VII Qtr Ducato nd 1527 LD obv 621.jpg Papal States Clement VII Qtr Ducato nd 1527 LD rev 628.jpg

5. panzerman

Nice coin!

400.000 Dukats was a lot of $$$$ in 1527;)

6. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I've not paid much attention to this denomination before (it lacks any pictorial flair) but it's quite interesting and I think unusual to see the denomination incorporated onto the coin design at this point in time...

talerman likes this.
  7. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Edward VI 1551 3oz shilling with mm. lion. Despite appearances, it's actually not a bad example. Quality of portraiture was not matched by quality of metal used!
    upload_2020-9-30_10-23-27.jpeg

Eduard, tibor, talerman and 4 others like this.
  8. panzerman

AV Florin d'or de Bourgogne au Saint Andre
    Lowlands/ Flanders
    Karel le Stoute (Charles the Bold) 1467-77
    Burges Mint
    ex: CNG auction
    Charles was picking fights with his neighbours/ finally in 1477, he ended up dead on the battlefield. The Swiss annilhilated his army/ he ended up sliced and diced by Swiss infantrymen. a60011f8c7b35738fd37fff87a45941e (1).jpg

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Not the prettiest coin, but a incredibly rare example of a Scots penny from whence Queen Mary was a wee lass in the early 1540's:

[​IMG]

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

11. talerman

Another minor in not great condition but with a certain charm
    Italy PAPAL STATES Sede Vacante Giulio n.d. (1521-22)

Papal States Sede Vacante Giulio nd 1520-21 obv 081.jpg Papal States Sede Vacante Giulio nd 1520-21 rev 084.jpg

tibor, Chris B and panzerman like this.
  12. talerman

The Renaissance had reached Poland by 1529. At that time Poland ruled West Prussia, while East Prussia was the independent Duchy of Prussia (former territories of the Teutonic Knights before they were secularized in 1525) under Polish suzerainty. King Sigismund's title on the obverse of this coin is SIGIS*I*REX*PO*DO*TOC(t)I(us)*PRVS (lord of all Prussias). The reverse bears the Prussian eagle l. holding a sword with the legend GROSS*COMV*TERR*PRVSS (groschen common to all Prussian territory).

POLAND Sigismund I The Old (1506-48) Crown Issue for Prussia Groschen 1529 Thorn mint

Poland  Crown issue for Prussia Sigismund I Groschen 1529 obv 250.jpg Poland  Crown issue for Prussia Sigismund I Groschen 1529 rev 254.jpg

tibor, panzerman, ycon and 2 others like this.
  13. panzerman

I must say that coin is exceptional in many ways/ quality/ workmanship/ portrait of King/ obscure place (Thorn)
    Very nice:cat:

talerman likes this.
  14. Christina Pernock

Christina Pernock Active Member

It isn't a great quality photo so i do apologize. Technically not a coin, but a restrike of a pope leo x medal. I also have a clement vii and alexander vi medals on the way! leox obv.jpg leox rev.jpg

tibor, panzerman and talerman like this.
  15. Christina Pernock

Christina Pernock Active Member

These are the two other medals i have on the way :) alexander vi.png clement vii.png

tibor, panzerman, Chris B and 2 others like this.
  16. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1402-i5a-2.jpg
    Aachen, Germany mint. A groschen. 1402 A.D. (Secundo)

ANNO DOMINI MILLESIMO CCCC SECUNDO
    MON ETA URB AQEN

SCS KAROL MA-GNVS IPERAT

Eduard, chlorinated, talerman and 3 others like this.
  17. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1403-i6.jpg
    Aachen, Germany mint. 1403 A.D. (Tercio)

ANNO DOMINI MILLESIMO CCCCTERCIO
    MON ETA URB AQEN

SCS KAROL MA-GNVS IPERAT

Eduard, chlorinated, talerman and 2 others like this.
  18. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Here's my newest pickup, which I'm waiting on from NAC (already posted in a few other threads, but it belongs here):

1448785_1602603400.l.jpg
    Cosimo I de'Medici, III period: grand duke, 1569-1574.

Mezza Piastra 1571, AR 16.24 g. COS MED MAGNVS DVX ETRVRIÆ Armored bust facing right. Rv. S IOANNES - BATISTA St. John the Baptist standing on a rock, in the act of preaching, processional cross in hand; 1571, below. Dies engraved by Pietro Paolo Galeotti, student of Benvenuto Cellini. Galeotti LXIII, 7/8. Ravegnani Morosini 18. MIR 167/3. Very rare.

19. robp

robp Well-Known Member

York episcopal mint halfgroat (2d) of Henry VII struck under Abp. Bainbridge.
    upload_2020-11-30_20-39-10.jpeg

Eduard, chlorinated, tibor and 4 others like this.
  20. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Nice one, doubt there are very many of these around. If only the coin could tell the story about how its circulation was halted at some point to preserve its condition. No doubt nearly all the others were worn to oblivion.

talerman and ycon like this.
  21. talerman

Germany POMERANIA-WOLGAST Ernst Ludwig 1/4 Reichstaler (Reichsort) 1581

Pomerania Wolgast Ernst Ludwig Qtr Taler Ort 1581 obv 716.jpg Pomerania Wolgast Ernst Ludwig Qtr Taler Ort 1581 rev 720.jpg

Eduard, panzerman, Chris B and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted