Featured Post Your Renaissance Coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ycon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

I think it’s on rev. at 3 o’clock!

KSorbo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I was looking for a mintmark, not a coat of arms. I think that the 2 fish arms are the County of Pfirt, just south of Ensisheim and Upper Alsace. According to Wikipedia, the coat of arms of Ensisheim is
    Ensisheim
    [​IMG]

KSorbo and PaulTudor like this.
  4. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Henry VIII second coinage halfcrown with the initials of Henry and Katherine of Aragon divided by the Tudor Rose & H(enry) R(ex) divided by the shield.
    upload_2020-8-9_23-33-7.jpeg

robinjojo, panzerman, tibor and 3 others like this.
  5. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@PaulTudor is right. The two carps are at 3 o'clock. The images of two carps also appear in the coat of arms of coins from the Ensisheim mint. Maybe the coat of arms that you found in Wikipedia is a contemporary one? Take a look at the pictures here:
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ferdinand_I,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

On the picture of Ferdinand I in 1531, he has what I think are two carps hanging on his chest (it doesn't look like the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece) :confused:

6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great info! I didn’t realise my coin was struck posthumously. Do you happen to know the actual time period?

7. cmezner

All the references I have seen just state undated. Doing a bit of research one can find that the mint at Ensisheim started minting coins in 1584 and until 1632/1634; during all this time it was a branch of the Hall mint.

As Ferdinand died in 1595 and the mint stopped working in 1632/1634 we do know that this type was struck between 1595 and 1632/1634. :D

Reference: Moser & Tursky 577-8; Davenport 8092

talerman and KSorbo like this.
  8. talerman

The Habsburgs were also Counts of Pfirt (Ferrette in French)
    Also from Wikipedia:

Ferrette
    (German: [​IMG]Pfirt )

[​IMG]
    A general view of Ferrette
    [​IMG]
    Coat of arms

KSorbo, cmezner and PaulTudor like this.
  9. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I looked through a lot of examples of these talers online and the ones from the Hall mint appeared to be much more common. Also the designs are easy to tell apart.

cmezner likes this.
  10. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

More common, but a ton of varieties , you can check the catalogue of Ivan Lux on Ferdinand's Hall talers.

gg.jpg

panzerman, tibor, talerman and 3 others like this.
  11. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Henry VI groat, Leaf-Pellet issue 1445-1454. Leaf on breast, pellets by crown and extra pellets in the CIVI and LON quarters.
    upload_2020-8-10_23-40-39.jpeg

12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Just came across this thread again. Some really nice pieces. Keep 'em coming.

ycon likes this.
  13. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

composite_15971726584523.jpg
    Here's a newp I'm waiting on. It's a bronze soldo of Giovanni Sforza (1489-1500 & 1503-1510) from Pesaro. Michael Chimienti and Guglielmo Cassanelli attribute the dies of this small coin to Francesco Francia. I'd love one in really superb condition, but for now this will do.

14. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Elizabeth I 1573 sixpence, mm. Acorn (rev. over Ermine).
    upload_2020-8-12_0-44-17.jpeg

15. talerman

Fabulous condition !

16. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Thanks, I like it too. :)
    Just to balance up the quality, it's amazing what 25 years or so can do. A Henry VIII posthumous groat struck at Durham House c.1547-8 under Sir Martin Bowes, hence the Bow initial mark. ex H A Parsons 346, Sotheby 28/10/1929 and V J E Ryan 984pt, Glendining 22/1/1952.
    upload_2020-8-12_13-11-19.jpeg

17. talerman

The Renaissance had reached Sweden by 1560, although this handsome portrait still has perhaps a touch of the Middle Ages

SWEDEN Gustav Vasa Mark 1560

Sweden Gustav Vasa Mark 1560 LD obv 516.jpg Sweden Gustav Vasa Mark 1560 LD rev 522.jpg

18. robp

robp Well-Known Member

GB. James I rose ryal. This coin has the obverse initial mark cinquefoil over trefoil over tower over mullet over coronet and the reverse mark is cinquefoil over trefoil over tower. The obverse die is a little worn as it had been in use for at least 4+ years and possibly as many as 8. Gold was revalued upwards by 10% in 1612, so being struck during the period 20th October 1613 to 17th May 1615 this was current for 33 shillings, up from the 30 shillings applicable to the earlier coins. C2043-James I rose ryal cinquefoil.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    robinjojo, panzerman, ycon and 5 others like this.
  19. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I recently posted these in the ancients forum, but maybe they belong here instead?

EdwardVI_01_01.png
    EdwardVI_01_02.png

Edward VI
    - Shilling Second Period, debased - Tower Mint
    Spink 2466
    1549 (MDXLIX on reverse)
    Obverse:
    EDWARD VI : D • G • AGL • FRA • Z : HIB • REX
    Reverse: Arrow Mintmark, TIMOR • DOMINI • FONS : VITÆ • M : D : XLIX; E - R across fields

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edward VI
    - Shilling Third Period - Fine Silver Issue
    Spink 2482
    1551 - 1553
    Obverse:
    Tun Mintmark, EDWARD . VI: D . G . AGL . FRA . Z: HIB . REX:
    Reverse: Tun Mintmark, POSVI DEVM:A DIVTOR E . MEV .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edward VI
    - Sixpence Third Period - Fine Silver Issue - London Mint
    Spink 2483
    1551 - 1553
    Obverse:
    Y Mintmark : EDWARD . VI: D . G . AGL . FRA . Z: HIB . REX :
    Reverse: POSVI DEVM:A DIVTOR E . MEV . Y Mintmark

20. cmezner

@ewomak those are awesome coins of Edward VI - the first one has a very sweet profile. Thanks for sharing :)

PaulTudor and ewomack like this.
  21. cmezner

Guess this one is an angel noble, which was introduced by Edward IV in 1465:

London, 1483(?)
    26 mm, 4.981 g
    Spink 2091; North 1626;

Ob.: Standing facing Archangel Michael slaying dragon with lance; beaded circle surrounding EDWARD DI GRA REX ANGL Z FRANC (Edward by the Grace of God King of England and France)
    Rev.: galley at sea overlaid with quartered shield upon hull, ‘E’ and rose flank thick cross-like mast, ropes 2/1 with long bowsprit; PER CRVCEM TVA SALVA NOS XPC REDEMPT (By Thy Cross save us Christ our Redeemer); rose mint mark before PER

upload_2020-8-24_23-2-52.png upload_2020-8-24_23-3-24.png

Draft saved Draft deleted