Featured Post Your Renaissance Coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ycon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Thank you so much talerman for sharing your knowledge with all of us, it is very much appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmezner

As panzerman posted a Dukat from 1531, were both Forint and Ducat used at that time?

4. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Good point. According to Huszár (Münzkatalog Ungarn), the gold coins before 1659 were all forints (in German gold gulden), not ducats. The difference between the two seems quite small. I found the following on the website
    https://goldducats.com/about-ducats/:

Shortly before the first gold ducats were minted, in 1252 the Florence and Genoa mints started minting florins. Subsequently, gold florins were also minted in 1256 by Lucca and Perrugia in 1259. However, in 1284 the first gold ducats, Venetian ducats (aka zecchinos), were approved to be minted. They were supposed to be heavier than florins (3.545 gm instead of 3.53 gm), but were also struck in pure gold. Minting of gold Venetian ducats started in March 1285. Due to wide acceptance of gold ducats in international trade, other countries also minted these coins. The most recognizable were Hungarian, Spanish and finally Dutch type ducats.

Panzerman - what is the weight of your coin ?

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone! None to share but cool enough to get me interested.

6. cmezner

that would mean that panzerman's coin is a Forint (Gold Gulden) ?
    I also have one like panzerman's but from the year 1530, (21 mm, 3.55 g) minted in Kremnitz - KB; reference is Huszár 895; Friedberg 48

7. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

As I imagine you know, Huszár 895 is described as a Goldgulden. Panzerman's coin also seems to be a Huszár 895. Your weight of 3.55 g would appear to make it a ducat so perhaps Huszár is wrong and the transition from forints to ducats came earlier.

cmezner likes this.
  8. cmezner

I got the description of the KB coin from acsearch at https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3069889 where they call it a Dukat.
    Searching in numista, at https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces111819.html they just describe it as "common coin". However, this same coin for the years 1527 - 1564 is also described in numista as a Forint: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces48233.html

Don't know who is wrong but it seems that different types/values are used for the same kind of coin, very confusing :confused:

panzerman likes this.
  9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Always wanted one of these. Not the best example, but it fits in my collection.

Great Britain Half Groat Henry VIII Canterbury 1526 1544 obv A.jpg Great Britain Half Groat Henry VIII Canterbury 1526 1544 rev A.jpg

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Its 3.52g.:happy: I got it from Rauch Auctions in 2014.

11. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

One more Renaissance Newp. Just paid for. This may be my last coin for awhile as my budget is totally shot, but I'm very pleased with my recent purchases. A rare Giulio of Cosimo I de' Medici, with dies engraved by Cellini's successor at the mint, Pier Paolo Galeotti:

439D.jpg
    FIRENZE. Cosimo I de’ Medici. 1536-1574. Giulio 1571. 3.1 gr. – 26,1 mm. O:\ Crowned Medici coat of arms. R:\ Saint John the Baptist and Saint Cosmas, facing. CNI 284/285; MIR 170/2. R2. BB/SPL. Dies by Galeotti.

12. cmezner

And then they started minting huge coins, how did those people carry them? :-o

IMG_2993-490a.jpg IMG_2996-490b.jpg
    AUSTRIA, Josef I. Speciesthaler. Silver, 43 mm, 28.62 g, Hall 1707
    Ref.: Moser & Tursky 810; Voglhuber 245; Davenport 1018; KM 1438.1, Her 127-131
    Obverse: IOSEPHUS • D : G : ROM : IMP : SE : AV : G : HV : BO : REX • Laureate and armored bust right, wearing Order of the Golden Fleece. The top of the head divides the legend. No inner circle.
    Reverse: ARCHID : AVST : DVX : BV : COM : TYR • 17 07 • Composite arms with ancient Hungary, Bohemia, Austria and Habsburg, at bottom the 5 eagles of Lower Austria (Niederösterreich). At the center a small shield of Tyrol. Around the chain of the Golden Fleece

alde, talerman, sonlarson and 3 others like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Same way they carried these!

[​IMG]
    Ptolemy II, BC 285-246
    AE, 42mm, 63.51g, 12h
    Obv.: head of Zeus-Ammon right
    Rev.: ΠΤΟΛΣΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΣΩΣ; two eagles standign left on thunderbolt, Θ between legs of left eagle

Other members have larger coins from antiquity...think @TIF 's is the biggest.

Guess other than praising coins...this is about the only way I can sneak an ancient into a Renaissance coin thread. :D

robinjojo, alde, NLL and 3 others like this.
  14. panzerman

Here is one I just won from Venice.... lf (8).jpg lf (9).jpg

Hrefn, robinjojo, tibor and 7 others like this.
  15. panzerman

Here is another:happy:
    Valencia
    AV Ducato ND 3.51g. Valencia Mint FDC
    Fernando V 8b5f801c2769c37868f9cf9e20f57e6e.jpg of Aragon 1452-1516AD

robinjojo, tibor, alde and 5 others like this.
  16. cmezner

Yours is just a perfect coin! Congrats panzerman, excellent choice! I posted one like this, but not nearly so well preserved as yours.

panzerman likes this.
  17. panzerman

And another...
    AV Ducato ND Milan Mint 3.56g.
    Filippo Maria Visconti Duke of Milan 1412-47AD 4f448c3300d29637d7e757d919eacbe1.jpg

robinjojo, tibor, alde and 6 others like this.
  18. panzerman

Thanks, Venice struck muh gold coinage, from the tiny 1/4 Zecchino to the massive 105 Zecchini example (360g/ 10+ oz.)
    John

cmezner likes this.
  19. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Forgot I had this one

Poland 6 Graschen 1627 obverse USB.jpg
    Poland 6 Graschen 1627 reverse USB.jpg

robinjojo, Siberian Man, alde and 4 others like this.
  21. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I just posted a write up over in the Ancients section, but here is my latest acquisition: a struck Paduan.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-0Juzv60EHPIKS6.jpg
    Tiberius (14-37 AD). Struck Medal, around 1550. Dies by Giovanni da Cavino. O / TI CAESAR AVGVSTI F IMPERATOR V. Bare head facing left with short beard. R / Altar of Lugdunum; below, ROMETAVG. Cease 86. Klawans pg. 27.2. Lawrence 5. Molinet pg. 95, IV. Montigny 4. Keary pg. 119. AE. RR. 36.00 mm. Very rare. Superb bronze patina with golden reflections. XF.

robinjojo, DonnaML, Cucumbor and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted