Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

New photos for 1926, replacing the iPhone photos in post #4099.
    Sometimes I think I should replace the 1926-S. Then I decide that whatever happened to it, it's not like any other coin I have. Besides, I can always wonder what could happen to a coin the make it so porous.
    01c 1926 #02 full 02.jpg 01c 1926-D full 02.jpg 01c 1926-S full 02.jpg

yKnot, Mad Stax, rlm's cents and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

May I have opinions on a grade and what it could be worth please?

Attached Files:

4. RonSanderson

These are new photos that replace the ones in posts #4034 and #4055.

The seller managed to light up the toning on the 1927 spectacularly, but I am still working to find the magic angle to take the photo.

By this time, the San Francisco mint has lost just about all of the detail that used to be in Lincoln's beard. The wear really shows in the ten years between the 1917-S in post #4247 and this one.
    01c 1927 #02 full 04.gif 01c 1927-D full 02.jpg 01c 1927-S full 01.jpg

robec, yKnot, Mad Stax and 5 others like this.
  5. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Just got an upgrade on this beastie from MS63 to MS64.

[​IMG]

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

...which makes it now only one grade below what it deserves. :p

That said, when you look close, you see what could be a multitude of small marks far away from visual areas of concentration. They're masked - psychologically and in reality - by the color, and it may well be that in-hand I'd reluctantly agree that 64 is what it deserves. PCGS has one of the best hands in the business shooting their coins, but his style is to bring out the coin's best-possible appearance, and as a result his images can be difficult to see strict technical merit in.

WingedLiberty and BadThad like this.
  7. Friday

Friday Active Member

The are my penny. IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0193.JPG

dwhiz, robec and BadThad like this.
  8. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

9. CREATIVECRHUNTER

Above you will see a 2016 D cent I found CRH this past week. Today I am going through each coin, under the scope, and I believe I have found something that might be new to the error and/or varieties cent coins.
    Looking at the reverse: E PLURIBUS UNUM, there is definitely something running behind the U & R of PLURIBUS. Additionally, there seems to be the same at bottom of the E and between
    the U & N.
    Any help identifying what exactly I have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

10. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Just got this one in a agreement with someone yesterday. Will end up paying a arm and a leg for it,but find me a early minted San Fran Wheat with eye appeal,color and a semi decent die state IMG_20170207_061415.jpg IMG_20170207_061430.jpg IMG_20170207_061445.jpg IMG_20170207_061504.jpg

robec, yKnot, DBDc80 and 7 others like this.
  11. RonSanderson

Upgrades to photos in posts #4047 and #4109. I wasn't going to post another animation for a while, but the first coin seems to cry out for it. The 1928-S is chewed up, but I like the brick-red color.

One good thing about Lincolns is that you can appreciate a lot of different coins within a budget. For the entire group, under $100, here are two mint state coins - one with brilliant color, and the second one with a beautiful tone and a novel planchet gouge on the reverse. There are two AU's, one a woody and one with an unusual deep red color. They are all a pleasure to look at and wonder about. 01c 1928 full 01.gif 01c 1928-D #01 full 01.jpg 01c 1928-D #02 full 01.jpg 01c 1928-S full 01.jpg

dwhiz, robec, Jdiablo30 and 4 others like this.
  12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

WingedLiberty and Jdiablo30 like this.
  13. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Yea I've been searching for awhile. This one was on eBay but I know someone who knew the guy so I got it for a lot cheaper,but still more expensive then a normal 25-s. The early San Fran wheats are pretty challenging to find with decent color and strike. 1914-S,23-s,24-s and 26-s are going to be fun as well

WingedLiberty likes this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Good luck....especially with the 24-S. I consider the 24/25 S&D issues to be some of the toughest Lincolns. The vast majority are absolute crap.

mas4492 and Jdiablo30 like this.
  15. CREATIVECRHUNTER

*CORRECTION: I meant to say, "running behind the B & U of PLURIBUS. Sorry for the mistake.

16. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

End of planchet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, robec, yKnot and 7 others like this.
  17. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

18. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

IMG_5361.JPG IMG_5375.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    robec, jello and rlm's cents like this.
  19. RonSanderson

The 1929-D was in an ANACS holder as MS64 BN. I took it out to put it in a plastic 2x2 that fits my trays. I only take out the ones that I feel would regain the same grade easily if I ever were to sell it.

A discussion in another thread is weighing the pros and cons of breaking out coined slabs. I like the digital album solution.

All my images, whether of slabbed coins or raw, are stored in the same format on a network server in my house. These files are accessible remotely through my iPhone. Each image is named consistently, so I just spin through the images until I find the one I want. Wherever I go, the entire collection is at my fingertips. I can go into a shop and immediately show the dealer an example of what I am interested in.

But, really, it's just for me. I can take a look at any coin while I'm upstairs watching TV, or at work, or anywhere.

01c 1929 full 02.jpg 01c 1929-D full 03.jpg 01c 1929-S full 02.jpg
    The 1929 photo improves on the one in post #4038; the 1929-S replaces #4039. This 1929-D replaces the one in post #4109.

dwhiz, robec, yKnot and 6 others like this.
  20. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

I found eight 1953 cents in a bag of cents purchased recently. 1953.jpg 1953..jpg

dwhiz, robec, BadThad and 2 others like this.
  21. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted