Post your Bust Halves!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DimeMonster, Jan 30, 2012.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/is-this-coin-an-1832-proof-half-dollar.224305/#post-1683719
    please see an earlier post of mine here on cointalk. why would the coin be worth at least $3,000 if it is not a proof coin and just a mistake by pcgs?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. But WOW I would have left it in that PR holder in all likelihood. Did you get multiple opinions on it? If there was any chance it was a circulated proof I would exhaust my efforts to ensure I knew for certain. Anyway, even if it is a business strike I would have been a buyer at more than 50. Despite the damage it still has nice detail!

4. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

wish it was a proof but my newest is a nice details F-12 1832 Crap plastic but I have to agree with the grade
    1832.jpg 1832o.jpg 1832r.jpg

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Well I learned there were a couple proof Busties . I never heard of any official proofs but figured with the way the mint acted back then there must be a few floating around . Does anyone know the # of proofs made and their dates ?

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My newest... off to PCGS for grading. DSCN8345.JPG DSCN8350.JPG DSCN7631.JPG DSCN7634.JPG

8. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Nice busties everyone!
    1828 O-120(PCGS XF45)
    1830 O-122(PCGS Secure AU53)
    1807 O-112(PCGS VF25)
    1813 O-103(ANACS XF45)
    1822/1 O-101(raw, for now)
    1826 O-103a(PCGS Secure AU53) photo copy.JPG 28438981_CertVerificationThumb2.jpg photo 1 copy.JPG photo 1 copy 2.JPG $_57-3.JPG 28224968_CertVerificationThumb2.jpg

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

10. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpg image.jpg I sent some raw ones off to pcgs recent here's a couple

geekpryde and Effigy303 like this.
  12. Mainebill

image.jpg image.jpg And a couple more

geekpryde, giorgio11 and Effigy303 like this.
  13. Mainebill

I got about a dozen more raw capped busts I need to go through attribute and for most send off a couple have problems and ain't worth grading unless a rare Overton this along with the more then a dozen I already have in slabs like this image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

giorgio11 likes this.
  14. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

1825 O-116 XF45 PCGS

This one is coming to me soon ... seller's photos.

50c 1825 O-116 Obv CU XF45 PCGS.jpg

50c 1825 O-116 Rev CU XF45 PCGS.jpg

Enjoy!

Best Regards, :)

George

geekpryde, mackwork, Weston and 2 others like this.
  15. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Hello I'm sorry if I'm bothering anyone but at a coin show about a year and 3 months back I had purchased an 1831 bust half dollar and I'm carouse as to what r-3 and o-112 means about the coin. Can someone please tell me. thanks!.

16. brandon spiegel

And you have some cool coins

17. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Hi brandon,
    R-3 is a scale on the "R" rarity system that designates estimated surviving pieces. (http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-RARITY-SCALE-Defined-/10000000001508416/g.html)
    The o-112 stands for its "Overton" number, a system of cataloguing die pairs I think.

18. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Hi Brandon,

The O number is the Overton number of the different die marriages of the obverses & reverses.
    The "r" number is the Rarity number of the known graded examples.
    r-1 is common, r-3 is scarce, r-5 is rare, r-8 is unique

Here is link to different 1831 CBH like yours.

>> http://www.maibockaddict.com/1831-capped-bust-half-dollars.shtml

100_5333.jpg 100_5334.jpg

19. brandon spiegel

Cool thank you so much I really appreciate it :) thank you for the very valuable knowledge

20. brandon spiegel

Can you please explain to me what a die marriage is if that's all right with y'all

21. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

A die marriage or die pair is the specific combination of obverse and reverse that was used to strike the particular variety (Overton varieties in this case). For example all of the 1815/2 half dollars are O-101 because only the single obverse bearing the 1815/2 date was used in combination with a single reverse to strike all of the known examples. For other dates, 1828 for example, there were 13 different obverse dies and 17 different reverse dies used to strike a total of 23 different die marriages. Sometimes one obverse or reverse die can be shared among several different combinations of the other side. The whole of early U.S. numismatics is based on similar principles of identifying different die marriages and varieties, and there are specialized reference books for every U.S. coin series to help numismatists identify those differences and classify them according to rarity. For Bust halves one such reference is Al Overton's (Don Parsley is editor) United States Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836. Another useful reference is The Ultimate Guide To Attributing Bust Half Dollars by Glenn R. Peterson, M.D.

Best Regards,

George

Best Regards,

George

non_cents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted