Is this coin an 1832 proof half dollar?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coins776, Mar 12, 2013.

?

IS THIS AN 1832 PROOF HALF DOLLAR?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2013.
  1. MS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PROOF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NOT SURE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. coins776

coins776 no title

i bought this coin in an ebay auction last year, i paid $57.66 for the coin. the seller did not list this coin as being a proof coin but the pcgs holder of the coin says PR GENUINE with surface damage. i sent the coin to a coin dealer last year and they told me that the coin is in fact Picture0020.JPG Picture0019.JPG Picture0018.JPG Picture0021.JPG a proof coin but they did not want the coin because of the surface damage. i then sent the coin to an auction house and they sent the coin back to me and said that the coin is not a proof coin. i then contacted pcgs and provided photos of the coin to them. they said that the coin is a possible MS coin and that i could get a regrade of the coin. i figured it was not worth sending in the coin for a regrade and i sold the coin as just a regular 1832 half dollar (not a proof coin) to a coin dealer for $41.50. did i maybe sell a possible very rare coin for a very low price? i am sorry about the low quality of the photos of this coin. they are the best photos that i have of this coin. please give your opinions of this coin. thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I presume if it's a proof coin the only way to tell would be looking at die varieties, so you would need much better quality pictures to confirm. With that said, it looks like there are nine proof 1832 coins currently known with 'Those nine coins include two examples of O-106, two examples of O-122, and five examples of the proof-only O-123 rarity.'. I don't know diagnostics for Overton varieties, but you may be able to do a web search for it. I would start with O-123 as that attribution would confirm it's a proof.

Keep in mind, PCGS has been known to make errors on the labels in their holders, but something I would look into.

4. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Considering there were only 10 of these minted, if it were a real proof coin, I think it would be worth something. My logic (not always sound) would dictate that 1 of 10 of something that is ~180 years old is worth something regardless of damage (kind of like cull chain cents). That being said, is this a fake, misgraded, etc, I don't know.

5. coins776

coins776 no title

1832 possible proof half dollar

1832 half dollar obv.jpg update on this coin. i bought the coin back from the dealer that i had sold it to. i have uploaded some better photos of this coin.

Attached Files:

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not a proof.

The details would be far better struck, as in the stars' details, the rim, etc

7. coins776

coins776 no title

possible 1829 curl base 2 variety dime

here is an 1829 dime obv.jpg 1829 dime rev.jpg 1829 dime that looks like it could be a 1829 curl base 2 variety, but i am not sure.

8. Treashunt

picture not clear enough.

9. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

When I plug the cert number of your 1832 half dollar into the PCGS database, this is the result...

proofhalf1832.jpg

So unless some mechanical error occurred during grading, some diagnostics must have led the graders to determine your coin is a genuine proof. :thumb:

Here is a specimen graded PR62 by PCGS. Comparing the two coins, your coin does exhibit characteristics consistent with the proof strike.

proofhalf18321.jpg

rzage likes this.
  10. iGradeMS70

The coin has obviously circulated heavily.

Details at the high points (stars in particular) eventually wear down. Just because it's proof does not mean it won't wear.

11. Treashunt

aw, gee, and I though that proofs were indestructible!

Silly me.

Gee, I gotta go back & re-read da book.

Duh, heavily circulated?

Ya think?

I was referring to the strike & rim.

duh.

12. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This is not a proof; it is a mechanical error on the part of PCGS that should have been caught before it left their hands. The proof only O.123 does not match the obverse of this coin.

13. iGradeMS70

Proofs were struck using the O.106 and O.122 die marriages as well. Here is a quote from Heritage...

" There are approximately nine proof 1832 half dollars known, as best we can determine. Those nine coins include two examples of O-106, two examples of O-122, and five examples of the proof-only O-123 rarity. "

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1181&lotIdNo=17076

14. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I realize that proofs were struck from other die pairs, but a coin with this much wear and surface damage that was sent in as a generic business strike would not be identified as a proof.

15. Treashunt

agreed, especially when regular production pieces were also produced from the same dies.

16. coins776

coins776 no title

1856 seated liberty quarter

1856 seated liberty quarter f 12 obverse $28.50.jpg here is another circulated coin that looks like it might have proof like surfaces.

Attached Files:

17. coins776

coins776 no title

another photo

another photo. 1832 half 3.jpg

18. coins776

coins776 no title

the photos of the 1829 dime are from the sellers listing for the coin. i never received the 1829 dime in the mail.

19. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

20. coins776

coins776 no title

More photos.

i scanned this coin and here are the photos. IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0002.jpg QUOTE=coins776;1695459]another photo. View attachment 257539 [/QUOTE]

21. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

1832 O-123 R7+ Capped Bust Half Dollar
    Obverse: 8
    Reverse: P
    Proof Only 5 known Minted in 1833

1832, O-123, Small Letters, Capped Bust, Half Dollar
    Variety Attribution: Obverse-Stars well formed and clear of milling. Date is 8 mm. with rather thick (broad faced) figures. Quickly recognized by the horizontal dash or bar just to left of the base of one, where the one was first started too far to the left.
    Reverse- 50 C. is 1 1/4 mm. and very high. Top of 5 is a short pointed triangle. Arrow to A is 1/2 mm. I is nearly centered under T. There are two dots 1 mm. apart between crossbars 4 and 5.
    1833 Leaman-Gunnet Emission Sequence Number for O-123: 2 (This variety was minted in 1833 after 1833 O-108)

Known as the Dash Date marriage. Same as the 1832 O-112 Obverse.

Dash_Date_1832 CBH.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted