Post your Athenians!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Seattlite86, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hey Folks,

I've got a friend who is in the military and working extremely hard to pursue higher education. She's not a coin collector, but showed some interest in coins I've brought in from time to time. I'd like to get her a coin with Athena on it, since she's the goddess of both wisdom and war. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to begin. I figured a great start is to see what's all out there. Please post your Athenians (not for sale, just for show) so I can learn about them! References welcomed too.

Thank you,
    Brandon

Shea19 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

Hi Brandon,
    I’m fairly new to collecting so I only have a examples.
    My latest purchase from a store on vcoins.com cost £11 or approx $14.
    Anyway, i love this as it has Zeus, her father, on the other side.
    Good luck.

6CCBB1E7-83E4-4418-9B48-10FD8025C02B.jpeg
    Autokane, Aeolis. 3rd century BC. AE 10mm, 0.7g
    OBV: Wreathed head of Zeus right
    REV: Helmeted head of Athena right, AYTOK bottom right field.

ominus1, Ryro, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  4. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Brandon, here's a Bactrian coin you might like:
    Bactrian Menander.jpg
    BACTRIAN KINGDOM, Menander I Soter, (ca. 165/155-130 BC), Silver drachm

Obv: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΩΤΗΡοΣ ΜΕΝΑΝΔΡοΥ, diademed bust of Menander I left, seen from behind, one tie falling across right shoulder blade, wearing aegis on left shoulder and brandishing spear
    Rev: Helmeted Athena Alkidemos seen from behind, standing left, brandishing thunderbolt in right hand and holding shield covered with aegis (head of Gorgon in middle of goatskin) on left arm, wearing aegis (stole with central portion made from goatskin) over himation (mantle) above chiton (tunic), Kharosthi legend around, monogram in lower right field
    Ref: SNG ANS 723-732. Bopearachchi Series 7

Menander I was the first Indo-Greek ruler to introduce this representation of Athena Alkidemos ("Athena, saviour of the people") on his coins.

ominus1, Ryro, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  5. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Here are two I bought just over a year ago. With the influx of Athen's tets, I doubt they are worth what I paid for them now. But I still think they are great coins.

[​IMG]
    Attica, Athens. Ca. 454-404 B.C. AR tetradrachm (22 mm, 17.21 g, 7 h). Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye / ΑΘΕ, owl standing right, head facing; above and behind, olive sprig and crescent; all within incuse square. Kroll 8; SNG Copenhagen 31. Lightly toned. Choice extremely fine.

[​IMG]

Attica, Athens. Ca. 454-404 B.C. AR tetradrachm (25 mm, 17.19 g, 6 h). Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye / ΑΘΕ, owl standing right, head facing; above and behind, olive sprig and crescent; all within incuse square. Kroll 8; SNG Copenhagen 31. Nice crest on Athena. Lustrous. Extremely fine.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

AMISOS PONTOS 5.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE30
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Athena right
    REVERSE: AMI-ΣOY across fields, Perseus standing facing, looking left, holding harpa and head of Medusa; Medusa's body at his feet right, AMTE and ΩΣ monograms to left and right
    Struck at Amisos 109-89 BC
    19.87g, 27mm
    BMC 30; RecGen 17h; SNG Tuebingen 2049; Malloy 16L

buckeye73, ominus1, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Athena? Wow, we could easily take this thread to 100 pages :D

[​IMG]
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    circa 375-300 BCE
    AR stater, 22 mm, 8.55 g, 1h
    Obv: Pegasus flying left; qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena left; A-P flanking neck truncation; to right, chimaera rampant left
    Ref: Ravel 1010; Pegasi 428; BCD Corinth 102; HGC 4, 1848
    ex CNG Inventory 828126 (November, 2008)
    ex Gorny & Mosch 170 (13 October 2008), lot 1381
    ex Giessener Münzhandlung 21 (22 March 1982), lot 37

[​IMG]
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    345-307 BCE
    AR stater, 8.65 gm
    Obv Pegasus flying left, qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena left wearing necklace; mask of Silenus behind
    Ref: Ravel 1046. Calciati 408. Scarce variety.
    from Heritage Auctions, June 2013

[​IMG]
    EGYPT. Ptolemy I Soter
    AR tetradrachm, 27 mm, 17.0 gm (Attic standard)
    Alexandreia mint, struck 313/12 BCE
    Obv: Head of the deified Alexander III to right, wearing mitra of Dionysos and elephant skin headdress, with aegis around his neck, and with horn of Ammon on his forehead
    Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Athena Alkidemos advancing right, hurling spear with her right hand and with shield over her extended left arm; to right, eagle with closed wings standing on thunderbolt to right with ΔΙ below
    Ref: Svoronos 33; Zervos series D, issue XIII; SNG Copenhagen 14; BMC 7

[​IMG]
    CILICIA, Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Gordian III
    238-244 CE
    Æ 27 mm, 11 gm
    Obv: ...ΓOPΔIANO radiate and draped bust right; C/M dot within triangle (Howgego 670?)
    Rev: CEΛEVKEΩN; Athena advancing right, holding her shield with her extended left arm & preparing to hurl a spear at an anguipede giant (Enceladus?) who is throwing stones at her.
    Ref: c.f. SNG Levante 763
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-gigantomachy.283117/

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Antigonos II Gonatas
    277/6-239 BCE, struck after 270 BCE, Amphipolis mint
    AR tetradrachm, 31mm, 17.06 g
    Obv: head of Pan in center of Macedonian shield, lagobolon over shoulder; shield decorated with stars within crescents
    Rev: BASILEWS ANTIGONOU, Athena Alkidemos walking left, brandishing thunderbolt and shield; helmet left, EMP monogram right
    Ref: SNGCop 1200v, EMP (maybe); R. Martin, "A Third-Century B.C. Hoard from Thessaly at the ANS," ANSMN 26, 536 (same obv. die).
    ex Demetrios Armounta Collection

[​IMG]
    ATTICA, Athens
    c. 454-404 BCE
    AR tetradrachm; 17.21 gm, ~25 mm
    Obv: head of Athena right, with frontal eye
    Rev: owl standing right, head facing, closed tail feathers; olive sprig and crescent to left; AΘE downward in right field; all within incuse square
    Removed from an NGC slab; AU 5/5 strike, 3/5 surfaces, "Parliament Collection"

[​IMG]
    CILICIA, Tarsos. Valerian I
    253-260 CE
    AE 32 mm, 19.06 gm
    Obv: AVKΛΙΠOVΛΙOVAΛЄPIANOCCЄ; Π - Π; radiate, draped, and cuirassed (?) bust right.
    Rev: TAPCOVMH TP OΠOΛЄΩC; A/M/K - Γ/Γ in fields; KOINOBOVΛION ЄΛЄVΘЄ__ in exergue; Athena seated left on throne, holding cornucopia and dropping a voting pebble into amphora to left; shield below.
    Ref: SNG Levante 1193; SNG BN 1821-2 (I do not have these reference books; references taken from similar ex CNG coin)
    ex Doug Smith

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Syracuse. Dionysius I (400-345 BC)
    Æ 20 mm, 8.23 gm
    Struck c. 390 BCE
    Obv: head of Athena left, wearing wreathed Corinthian helmet pushed back on head
    Rev: hippocamp left
    Ref: Calciati 35. SNG ANS 426
    Formerly slabbed

[​IMG]
    LUCANIA, Velia
    305-290 BCE
    AR didrachm, 17.5 mm, 7.3 gm
    Obv: Head of Athena right, wearing crested helmet, decorated with griffin; at left, A
    Rev: YEΛHTΩN; lion standing/walking right on exergual line; above dolphin between I and Φ
    Ref: SNG ANS 1375-6

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Kamarina. 420-405 BCE. AE tetras, 3.34 gm. Large head of Athena left, wearing crested helmet with wings. Owl standing left, with lizard in talon; KAMA (retrograde) upward in right field; three dots in exergue. Westermark / Jenkins 198 (see FIG. Pl. 35 / 198.24), SNG ANS 1230 Calciati III no. 28/4 (dotted-border type)

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Kamarina. 420-405 BCE. AE tetras, 3.11 gm. Head of Athena right, wearing winged Phrygian helmet; dotted border. KAMA (legend from top to bottom), with owl standing left, lizard in talons; three dots in exergue. Westermark / Jenkins 202, SNG ANS -., Calciati III No. 39.

and on and on and on :D

Kentucky, Edessa, Broucheion and 13 others like this.
  8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I’m sure you’ll find some great examples in this thread. Here are a couple of my Athenas.

A833D4F2-70EE-4F89-B94D-ABE7074B8D52.jpeg
    KINGS OF CAPPADOCIA. Ariarathes V Eusebes Philopator (AR Drachm, 17 mm, 3.99g), Eusebeia-Mazaca, circa 131 B.C. Diademed head of Ariarathes to right. Rev. BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ APIAPAΘOY EYΣEBOYΣ, Athena standing left, holding Nike, spear and shield set on ground.

38FA92AE-76AC-4F89-8F71-2A181F7EED7B.jpeg
    Thrace, Mesambria, Circa 175-100 BC. (Orichalcum, 20 mm, 6.12 g), Diademed female head to right. Rev. METAM-BPIANΩN Athena Promachos advancing left, holding shield left and brandishing spear with her right; to inner left, Λ.

10. Seattlite86

First of all, thank you all for sharing your beautiful coins! I hope there are more to come. :)
    I love the Zeus/Athena duo! She often talks about how her father taught/shaped her as a kid. I'm going to check out Vcoins and see what's out there.

You're absolutely right, that coin is fascinating! The detail is amazing. No wonder most of you folks stopped collecting modern coins ;)

I love the owls and the detail on Athena's head. Despite their availability, I'm not certain I'll be able to afford one of these beauties any time soon. I did have the pleasure of holding one once :)

@Bing your coin stands out as being "different" from just about all the others. Can you possibly help me understand why?

I hope this thread keeps going! Your coins are awesome. I can't tell if I like the Dionysis or the Macedonian shield better. Thank you for sharing!

Awesome!
    I really like the Athena holding Nike, great coin :)

Orielensis and Shea19 like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have beau coup of them. However, here are a few that are not the Athens Tets:

upload_2019-11-23_12-41-9.png
    ARKADIA Tegea AR Tetartemorion 0.2g 6mm 423-400 BCE Helmeted Hd Athena Alea T within incuse BCD Peloponnesos War 1721 HGC 5

upload_2019-11-23_12-41-59.png
    Athens Attica 454-404 BCE ARr hemidrachm 16mm 2.08g Athena frontal eye - facing Owl wings closed olive branches COP 70 SG 2528

Elaea-Aeolis AE10 1.4g 3rd C BCE Athena Left-Barley.JPG
    Elaea-Aeolis AE10 1.4g 3rd C BCE Athena Left-Barley

Sicily Kalakte AE unit 2nd C BCE Head Athena in Helmet - Owl rev RARE.JPG
    Sicily Kalakte AE unit 2nd C BCE Head Athena in Helmet - Owl rev RARE

upload_2019-11-23_12-44-13.png
    Thrace -Lysimachos AR Tet 14.3g 28.7mm 305-281 BCE RARE Alexander head-Ammon horns - rev Lysimachos Athena

Bruttium Lokroi Eizephyrioi 300-268 BC AE 23 Athena Pegasus.jpg
    Bruttium Lokroi Eizephyrioi 300-268 BC AE 23 Athena Pegasus

RR Prv Macedon Province 168-166 BC Tamios Quaestor Athena Cow - Eeyore.jpg
    RR Prv Macedon Province 168-166 BC Tamios Quaestor Athena Cow - Eeyore

upload_2019-11-23_12-45-59.png
    Sicily Kamarina AR litra 11mm 0.56g 461-440 BCE Nike flying swan below within wreath Athena spear shield SNG ANS 1212-6

upload_2019-11-23_12-46-50.png
    Calabria Tarentum AR Drachm 18mm 3.1g 3rd C BCE Athena Corinthian Scylla OWL olive TAP ZOP HN Italy 975 Vlasto 1052

upload_2019-11-23_12-47-40.png
    Larinum Frentani 210-175 BCE AE Quincunx 22mm 9.8g Mars or Athena corinthian helmet- Galloping Horseman spear sheild tbolt 5 pellets NH Italy 625 BMC 2 SCARCE

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

People with only one ancient coin will usually choose the traditional Athenian tetradrachm and the large hoard has brought the price of less than perfect ones down a bit and slaughtered the price of very nice ones. You need to be careful not to pay the prices held over from last year.

For something a little different, I like the later New Style tetradrachms of Athens. In addition to the goddess and owl, you get a minor device (here eagle) and some magistrate names. Mine is worn. Perfect ones are expensive.
    g41330bb0079.jpg

13. Bing

These Amisos Pontos coins are iconic showing Perseus holding the head of Medusa. Better examples show the body of Medusa below the head with flowing body fluid. These are not expensive coins. In fact, mice cost less that $50 shipped.

BTW, your friend sounds like she may be more than just a "friend". My wife is my best friend and has been for more than 53 years. Good luck.

TIF and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

My 2 favorite coins with Athena:

[​IMG]
    Syracuse, Sicily - Pyrrhos AR Oktobol (278–276 B.C.). 'Old collection toning'.
    Obverse:
    Head of Persephone to left, wearing wreath of grain leaves and pendant earrings; poppy seed behind.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΠΥΡΡΟΥ; Athena Alkidemos advancing left, brandishing spear with her right hand and holding shield aloft in her left.
    5.20g; 20mm

[​IMG]
    Alexander II Zabinas (128 B.C. - 122 B.C.) AR Drachm.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Zabinas right
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, Athena standing left, resting hand on shield, spear propped in left elbow, extending right hand beyond legend and holding Nike left, in left field Δ, monogram above.
    4.12g; 16mm

Bing, ominus1, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  15. Seattlite86

I really like that hemidrachm :)
    I feel like I've seen this coin before. I like it a touch better as well. Good to know that the tetradrachm prices should be falling.
    Quite a detailed and gory coin!

As far as my friend, she and her wife are happily married, as am I and my wife. I recently gifted some coins to a couple of people in our social circle (reference: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/baltimore-whitman-coin-expo-summary.350240/) and she seemed pretty hurt that I hadn't gotten her anything. I thought a bargain coin was an easy way to give her the mental boost she needs. I doubt you intended anything sinister by your comment about her being more than just a friend, but I just wanted to dispel that notion. :)

I can't believe that drachm retained so much detail after over 2 millennia.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Orielensis likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]
    THESSALY, Thessalian League
    48/7 BCE
    Magistrates Nikolaos, Ni..., and Gorgias
    AR stater, 23 mm, 6.3 gm
    Obv: head of Zeus right, wearing oak wreath
    Rev: ΘΕΣΣΑ / ΛΩΝ Athena Itonia striding right, hurling spear with her right hand and extending shield in her left; above spear, ΝΙΚΟ -ΛΑΟΣ; below shield, ΝΙ; to left and right, Γ-ΟΡ/ΓΙ-Α/Σ
    Ref: CNG 78, 14 May 2008, 485 (same dies). Grose 4928 var.
    ex Höher collection

[​IMG]
    ISLANDS off CARIA, Rhodos. Ialysos. 480-408 BC
    AR Obol (or some other size-appropriate fractional name), 9 mm, 0.6 gm
    Obv: forepart of winged boar left
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena right within incuse square.
    Ref: SNG Keckman 315; Karl 373

[​IMG]

IONIA, Klazomenai
    4th century BC
    AE 10.7 mm, 1.53 gm.
    Obv: head of Athena right
    Rev: ram lying left, winged boar above, Φ in left field; ANOK (ANOY?) below
    Ref: Not in literature consulted, including Imhoof-Blumer, F., Kleinasiatische Münzen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PONTOS, Amisos
    85-65 BCE, time of Mithradates VI Eupator
    AE, all are ~27-29 mm
    Obv: helmeted head of Athena right; helmet decorated with griffin
    Rev: AMIΣOY; Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and head of Medusa, Medusa's body at his feet, blood gushing from the neck

[​IMG]
    Ionia, Klazomenai. Mid-late 4th century B.C.
    Æ18 mm, 4.35 g
    Obv: Bust of Athena facing slightly right, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet
    Rev: KLAΖOMEN/AIΩN in two lines above, ram walking right; in right field, trophy
    Ref: SNG Munich 484; SNG Copenhagen 86.

17. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

.."bookoo"..:rolleyes:

Alegandron likes this.
  18. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

A few Greek AE's with Athena.
    1.jpg Obv: Athena in crested helmet r.
    Rev: forepart of facing bull r.
    17mm, 4.0g.

2.jpg
    Aspendos AE14. Obv: Shield
    Rev: Head of Athena r., O-Θ
    14 mm., 2.62 g.

3.jpg Attica, Athens. 87/86 BC. AE18. Obv: Head of Athena, wearing Corinthian helmet.
    Rev: Zeus standing, hurling thunderbolt; star between crescents to right.
    18mm., 8.7 gm.

4.jpg Cilicia, Seleukeia ad Calycadnum. AE18. Athena/Helios Obv: Helmeted and cuirassed bust of Athena r. with shield and spear.
    Rev: Bust of Helios ? r. / SELEYKEWN EPI DHMIORGOY DHMH.

5.jpg Lycia, Phaselis. Obv: Prow of galley right.
    Rev: Athena standing right, wielding thunderbolt and aegis.

6.jpg Macedonian Kings, Philip V. Bronze AE17. Aegis shield. Macedonian Kingdom, Philip V, 221 - 179 B.C. Bronze AE 17, obverse laureate head of Zeus right; reverse B-A / Φ, Athena Alkidemos standing right, brandishing javelin in right, aegis shield in left hand with head of medusa, dolphin lower right. SNG Cop 1244-1246 var. no aegis.

7.jpg Mysia, Pergamon. Ae (310-282 BC). Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right.
    Rev: ΠΕΡΓΑ. Forepart of bull right; to left, owl standing right, head facing; ivy leaf above.
    SNG France 1572.

8.jpg Phokis, Federal Coinage. Circa 371-357 BC Obv: Head of Athena facing.
    Rev: Phi within wreath.
    AE 13mm.
    SNG Copenhagen 113-116.

9.jpg
    Syria, Seleukis and Pieria. Laodicea ad Mare. Æ14 Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right.
    Rev: Owl standing right, head facing.
    1st century BC. Æ14, 2.5 g.

19. Bing

I didn't. But sometimes my mouth (fingers in this case) run ahead of my mind.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Seattlite86

I took it as well intended and joking/prodding. If I were in anyone else's shoes, I'd have come to the same conclusion. No harm, no foul. :)

I'm really enjoying seeing all these different varieties of Athena. I probably should've included Minerva in this thread. I can only imagine how many coins have her on them as well.

21. Bing

An example with Minerva
    SEXTUS POMPEIUS FOSTLUS.jpg
    SEXTUS POMPEIUS FOSTLUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS POMPEIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Head of "Minerva or Pallas" (personification of Rome) with winged helmet, earrings and necklace, looking to the right.
    Below the chin, it is the "X" (although its value then was 16 aces) and behind the bust is a small jar
    REVERSE: FOSTuLVS left and Sextus. Pompeius. to the right of the field. She-wolf suckling the twins Romulus and Remus.
    Behind Ruminal fig tree is represented with three birds in their branches. On the left, the pastor Faustulus figure in an attitude of admiration for the wonder he sees. ROMA in ex
    Struck at Rome 137 BC
    3.63g, 19.5mm
    Cr235/1a; Syd 461; Pompeia 1

Draft saved Draft deleted