The Gigantomachy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Aug 28, 2016.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This coin was acquired in April at CICF. I had previously seen a couple of others at auction but was either unsuccessful in my bids or had money committed elsewhere at the time.

GordianIII-Gigantomachy-RT.jpg
    CILICIA, Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Gordian III
    238-244 CE
    Æ 27 mm, 11 gm
    Obv: ...ΓOPΔIANO radiate and draped bust right; C/M dot within triangle (Howgego 670?)
    Rev: CEΛEVKEΩN; Athena advancing right, holding her shield with her extended left arm & preparing to hurl a spear at an anguipede giant (Enceladus?) who is throwing stones at her.
    Ref: c.f. SNG Levante 763

This reverse type was struck in Seleucia ad Calycadnum (Cilicia) during the reign of several emperors in the Crisis and Decline period. What I didn't notice until studying the coin later is that the ethnic is different than all others I've seen-- Calycadnum is not written on the coin as it is on others. So far I've not been able to access any old references which clarify the matter. On other coins with this reverse, Calycadnum is abbreviated behind Athena (see comparisons at the end of this post). At first I was worried that my coin had been aggressively smoothed or tooled, removing that part of the legend. That is not the case, nor does the coin appear to be inauthentic. Maybe the die engraver was in a hurry or just forgot to add the full city name?

If I correctly understand the naming of ancient cities in this area, the "ad Calycadnum" means roughly "at the river Calycadnum (Calycadnus)", so the addition of "ad Calycadnum" just helps clarify the location of this Seleucia. Founded by Seleukos Nikator in ~296-280 BCE, Seleucia remained independent despite many surrounding conquests until CE 72. Its current name is Silifke, marker 9 on this map:

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 1.01.33 PM.jpg

As for the reverse scene, I'm still trying to sort out the myth of the Gigantomachy. Various books and online resources tell the story differently, sometimes confusing it with the Titanomachy, which took place some time before the Gigantomachy. Accounts vary; you may find slightly different versions from what I've outlined below.

The Gigantes' origin is, like much Greek mythology, confusing to me. In a nutshell, the Giants sprung forth from the blood which spilled upon and impregnated earth-goddess Gaia when Cronus castrated his father, sky-god Uranus. (Nice, huh?)

The Gigantomachy was an epic battle for cosmic supremacy pitting the Giants against the Olympian gods. The Olympians prevailed with the assistance of Herakles. Athena personally took on Enceladus, throwing the island of Sicily at him, burying him under Mount Etna. Other giants were similary entombed under the earth. Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes were attributed to their movement in these subterranean tombs.

Vivid statue of Enceladus, showing him partly buried under rocks (park of Versailles; image from Wikipedia):
    [​IMG]

Mosaic featuring anguipede (serpent-footed) giants, Villa Romana del Casale, c. 3rd century CE (image from www.theoi.com):

[​IMG]

Frieze of the Gigantomachy on the Pergamon Altar (image from Wikipedia):
    [​IMG]

Here's my coin's reverse shown with a similar Gordian III coin from CNG's archives. The comparison coin has the "full" legend (although the extent of the legend and placement varies a bit from coin to coin), with KAΛV behind Athena. If any of you have a reference or more information about my coin's legend variation, please let me know. Perhaps it's an unimportant detail but lack of "Calycadnum" on my coin is curious.

GigantomachyReverseComparison_edited-1.jpg

As usual, please post anything you feel is related to this coin :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Fantastic coin and write up. Thanks and congrats.

TIF likes this.
  4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

That's a very cool and imaginative mythological explanation for earthquakes!

Nicholas Molinari, Orfew and TIF like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Granger => that's an amazingly cool reverse (well played)

I need to go buy some groceries, but I'll stop-by in a bit and pretend that I have something relevant for your cool new thread (I like you)

TIF likes this.
  6. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Super coin and post! Amazing the information from one coin! Looks like they fit the city name anywhere they could on these.

calycadnum.jpg

Cilicia, Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Gallienus. Æ27. Athena/anguipede Giant
    Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: Athena advancing right, brandishing spear and shield at anguipede Giant, raising both hands.
    27mm, 7.9 gm.
    SNG Levante 789

TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 16 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My only coin from Cilicia:
    CILICIA KORYKOS.jpg
    CILICIA, KORYKOS CITY COINAGE
    AE 19
    OBVERSE: Turreted head of Tyche right; A behind. Circle of dots
    REVERSE: ΚΩΡΥΚΙΩΤΩΝ, Hermes standing left, holding caduceus, ΕΥ/ΕΠΙ/ΕΡ in left field
    Struck at Cilicia 1st century BC (100-30 BC)
    5.87g, 19.42
    SNG Levante 792; SNG France 1075

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Okay, I'm back from groceries ... snagged some sweet snacks!!

:D

Well, Bing went straight for the Cilicia thing ... ancientone was a bit more specific with Cilicia, Seleucia (both amazingly well played!!)

Ummm, I'm gonna try and encompass both strategies ...

=> here is my example from Cilicia, Seleucis and Pieria ...

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria, Philip I

Æ 8 Assaria
    AD 244-249
    Antioch mint
    Diameter: 30 mm
    Weight: 16.39 grams
    Obverse: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip I right
    Reverse: Turreted, veiled, and draped bust of Tyche right; above, ram leaping right, head left; Δ-Є and S-C across field
    Reference: McAlee 990

Syria Gordian Tyche.jpg

Oh, and here are my other sweet examples from Cilicia ...

Cilicia Obol Eagle on Lion.jpg

Cilicia Tarsos countermark.jpg

cilica.jpg Cilicia Aigeai Tyche & Horse.jpg Cilicia Ninica-Claudiopolis.jpg Cilicia Tarsos Club.jpg

Sadly, I have zero coins associated with giants emerging from the earth (maybe I'm forgetting something in my collection?)

Either way, I like you Hermione ... congrats again on scoring that super-cool OP-winner!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 17 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice write up and coin @TIF!

This is my only Cilicia that I can contribute... And I have no coins depicting any of this Epic Battle Myth...

Cilicia - Tarsos turret counterstamped Bow Pompei Pirates AE 19 164 BCE Tyche-Zeus seated O-R.JPG
    Cilicia - Tarsos turret counterstamped Bow Pompei Pirates AE 19 164 BCE Tyche-Zeus seated

TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 14 others like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice! I've been looking out for one of these too. What's not to like about serpent-legged giants?

Carausius and TIF like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what a great provincial...and good write up. had no clue what the "gigantomachy" was!

i don't really have any closely matching coins, but i do have my coins that closely matches alegandrons..

[​IMG]

TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 15 others like this.
  12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Some of my coins from Cilicia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 15 others like this.
  13. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Awesome coin a write-up TIF.

Here is my only Cilician coin:
    TarsosCiliciaO1.jpg TarsosR1.jpg

TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 16 others like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Great post TIF. As a child I experienced some big earthquakes. Now I know what caused them. :)

Here are my coins of Cilicia. All three are 2016 purchases.
    Tarsos Stater Collage.jpg
    Tarsos Stator Facing Collage Best 1.jpg
    NN image of collect89 Obol.jpg

TTerrier, Andres2, Okidoki and 15 others like this.
  16. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Another from Calycadnum.
    Calycadnum.jpg
    Cilicia, Seleukeia ad Calycadnum. AE18. Athena/Helios
    Obv: Helmeted and cuirassed bust of Athena r. with shield and spear.
    Rev: Bust of Helios ? r. / SELEYKEWN EPI DHMIORGOY DHMH.
    SNG LEVANTE 0702(1)

TTerrier, Okidoki, Mikey Zee and 13 others like this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very nice write-up. I enjoyed the mythology lesson.

I have a newspaper from December 1755 (written a month after the great Lisbon quake) that had the current hypothesis as to the cause of earthquakes. It wasn't too much different. :)

TIF likes this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

So it took awhile for me to play catch-up here, but Leu 1 allowed me to finally check this box off :).

I'm tagging it on to this thread because of @TIF's excellent write-up about the reverse scene, to which I have zip to add except to note the degradation of style that occurred in the 15-20 years between TIF's Gordian III and my Gallienus. Hmpf!

Gallienus - Seleucia Gigantomachy.jpg GALLIENUS
    AE27. 8.77g, 27.2mm. CILICIA, Seleucia ad Calycadnum, circa AD 253-268. SNG Levante 789 (same obv die). O: AY K Π ΛΚ (sic!) ΓΑΛΛΙΗΝ/ΟC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. R: CEΛΕVKEΩΝ K/AΛVΚA/ΔN, Athena advancing right, holding shield and brandishing spear at snake-legged giant advancing left and raising both arms.

TTerrier, Jwt708, Andres2 and 17 others like this.
  19. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Stretching the theme a little bit, the greatest rendition of the battle between giants and gods is Giulio Romano's amazing, freaky fresco in the Palazzo Te in Mantua. It was commissioned in the sixteenth century by Federico II Gonzaga, scion of a family greatly interested in Roman history.
    giulio r.jpg

chromerunner, Jwt708, TIF and 4 others like this.
  20. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

TIF, super cool new coin. I really injoyed your write up on it.

~Doug

TIF likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome stuff

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted