POLL: Should there be another Forum called “Bullion Collecting”?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Good Cents, Aug 11, 2019.

?

Should there be another Forum called “Bullion Collecting”?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. I don't like having opinions

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. What's a Forum?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Is this Planet Earth?

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

This forum is called “Bullion Investing”, but there is no forum for “Bullion Collecting”.

It gets confused on here at times. There are people who collect Silver Bullion (like me) who like to post on this forum. Alternatively, there are those who comment on these posts about how silver coins or rounds purchased from dealers is a bad Silver Investment and the reasons why, or other things related to Investing, while the thread is about Collecting but there is no way to state it as such.

It gets confusing.

A new Forum called “Bullion Collecting” would avoid all confusion and would be a great forum for bullion Collectors who want to post about their nice finds, new issues, good deals, etc. as opposed to those who want to talk specifically about investment prices going up and down, premiums on investments, etc.

I’m curious what others think about asking CT moderators to consider creating a new Forum called “Bullion Collecting”.

I started a poll for this.

Votes are NOT publicly displayed.

(If you don't care one way or another feel free not to vote.)

Tracy62 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't see that happening. Way too specialized.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There’s already a thread called Post Your Silver Bullion, which has been quite active with folks posting their purchases in collecting fashion. Go check it out.

5. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

There are posts on there about how stupid it is to buy silver coins and rounds from dealers. Hardly an inviting place to post your finds or talk about cool silver from a collector's standpoint.

Because the Forum is "Bullion Investing" those who talk about the investing aspect while others are talking about the collecting aspect leads to confusion and conflict. A forum strictly for one or the other would avoid conflict and confusion.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I see your point, but I think those types of remarks would follow any thread or forum with the magic word “silver” in it.

Maybe one of the moderators will shed some different light on your idea. I’m not saying your idea is bad — I simply have doubts it would achieve what you’re hoping for.

Garlicus and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Don't overthink it. Use Coin Chat for anything that isn't already covered. That's probably the best forum since you're likely willing to pay more than spot for a collectible piece.

8. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I've said the same thing about maybe there being a forum for varieties instead of people posting things like doubled dies and WAM CAM ect.. in the error forum but for the most part some people wouldn't know the difference and would post in the wrong one so it would be a wasted effort.

Good Cents and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I’d call most pure bullion stuff (silver rounds, gold bars and such, not bullion coins) exonumia. As such, I’d say you can post that stuff wherever tokens and other exonumia belong.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have a substantial collection of French and American-made silver medals, and I have been asking since 2010 if we could have a forum devoted to Tokens, Medals, Medalets & Jetons to no avail. What makes you think you should have a forum dedicated to Bullion Collecting? It's hardly an historic subject.

Chris

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Bullion is used to try and increase ones over all worth, so not sure if collecting
    Would be the appropriate word, just my tow cents.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

And I would like a Metal Detecting forum.. that will happen when pigs fly :jawdrop:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. Coin buyer

Coin buyer Member

What? , you haven’t seen “Pigs” flying yet?
    Instead of looking down while swinging that coil, you need to look up once in awhile, Lol

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, that's a perfect illustration of the problem @Good Cents is talking about. It's exactly like someone coming into Coin Chat or US Coins and saying "coins are used to give and receive change in commerce, so not sure if collecting would be the appropriate word".

CoinTalk is for people with a broad range of interests, but the vast majority of people here are collectors. It's just that "Bullion investing" tends to concentrate speculators and flippers.

Good Cents likes this.
  15. Tracy62

Tracy62 Well-Known Member

I get your point. There are a few people on the forum who seem to go out of their way to tell us how stupid we are for buying bullion. I guess they need to do that to try to feel superior. Seems kinda sad to me that they feel the need to do that, but that’s why there is an “ignore member” option.

I don’t think a new thread would change that.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

And, if we had a forum for everyone who wanted a specified "watering hole", myself included, the list of forums would be several pages long.

Chris

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Moderators get countless reports " XXSTPYY posted in Forum 1 rather than forum 2 , can you get him to stay in correct forum", but there are no specific rules to post in one forum or the other, except for the B/S/T forums. I personally would prefer LESS forums as we get many who know zero about coins and may not post at all. Only trolls join to look stupid , not people interested and who will become participating members. The site should be to integrate members to other aspects of numismatics rather than separate them.

As a counterpoise, moderators get many calls to dump certain forums as they are not true "Numismatics". You members are smart and can learn to search a thread or subject, We try to help when possible. Someone asked for my opinion, Jim

Good Cents likes this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I voted for “I don’t like having opinions”. Not because it was a silly option, but because I do feel that way about things like this. I see guys get excited because they got a good deal on some silver. All they want is to feel good about it and inevitably somebody comes along to say silver is bad, gold is good, yadda yadda..... I understand that thought and appreciate it. But ultimately I am afraid adding another sub forum like that would be an opportunity for investors to bash collectors and the like.

Good Cents and Tracy62 like this.
  19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

For some people on this forum, there,s a fine line between collecting and
    Investing, you either do one or the other with in the same realm, just
    Dont be confused about the purpose of each, one,s going to cost you
    Money the other is supposed to make you money :)

Good Cents likes this.
  20. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

It does not have to be confusing. IMO, most people in here are silver collectors. Who cares what they call this place. Call it the eternal wallstreet commercial if you really want an accurate name.

But if you buy rounds because you like them or pay a high premium and don't care because you like the design, you most likely are a collector or collector/investor much as other collector/investors in numismatics with such dreams. Suck it up and you take away the silver haters and wallstreet shills ammunition.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Good Cents likes this.
  21. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

bullion coins are a minor subset of numismatics & bullion bars are a subset unto themselves - keep them separate from actual collector coins ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted