[Poll] SEMIFINAL! #5 zumbly vs #8 Cucumbor - CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 22, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#5 zumbly)

50 vote(s)
    84.7%
  2. Value for money (#5 zumbly)

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#5 zumbly)

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. Eye appeal (#8 Cucumbor)

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. Value for money (#8 Cucumbor)

26 vote(s)
    44.1%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#8 Cucumbor)

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

We have reached the semifinal matches of our tournament and I am excited to say that we have some amazing entries that I think you are all going to love.

If you need to get caught up on all the action from the previous rounds you can do so here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

Semifinal_C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg
    Only three matches left until we crown the Imperator!

#5 @zumbly

zumbly_Tarentum Nomos - Prow.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Didrachm, CALABRIA, Tarentum, circa 290-281 BC.
    Fischer-Bossert Group 80, 1131 (V417/R873); Vlasto 587; HN Italy 934.
    Wt.: 7.75 g
    Dia.: 22.3 mm
    Obv.: Warrior, holding shield and two spears, preparing to cast a third, on horseback right; SA below.
    Rev.: TARAS, Taras or Phalanthos riding dolphin left, holding distaff and stretching out hand; pellet to left, prow below.
    Ex Thomas Bentley Cederlind Collection; Ex Numismatica Ars Classica 84 (20 May 2015), lot 1358

Price: $714 (Purchased in 2016)

Why It’s Cool:
    SHORT VERSION: It's got a guy riding a dolphin like a friggin' superhero!!

LONG VERSION: Tarentum, in Calabria, was the only colony the Spartans ever established. Its legendary founder was Taras, a son of Poseidon, who was carried to shore by a friendly dolphin when his ship was wrecked in a storm. By the 4th century BC, Tarentum had grown in prosperity to become the greatest city in all of Magna Graecia. Unlike the Spartans, who famously spurned the idea of coinage at the time of its invention, the Tarentines were quick to adopt its use, their iconic 'Dolphin-Rider' didrachmae becoming a symbol of the city's growing power and wealth.

The 'Dolphin-Rider' series, spanning almost three centuries, is one of great numismatic interest, and within it are to be found some of the most beautiful of all Greek coins. While maintaining its traditional motifs of the dolphin-rider and the horse-rider, the series also displayed dynamism in design, nuance and purpose. On the obverse, the horse-rider can be found in a great number of different poses, ages and attitudes, the composition of the scene occasionally changing to include secondary figures. The device of city's legendaryoekist(founder) riding upon the back of a dolphin was not a stagnant one either. The dolphin-rider is sometimes seen as an adult man, sometimes a cherubic child, sometimes lean and muscled, and at other times almost corpulent. Interesting accompanying control symbols and secondary devices also add to the variety to be found amongst these coins.

On my coin one sees a lively horse-rider design, first devised a few decades earlier by a masterful engraver known as the 'Kal-' artist. Tarentum was famous for horse-breeding and its cavalry, and this obverse type, as with all the others in this series, are thought to show scenes of games held in Tarentum's hippodrome. The reverse benefits from excellent centering, losing nothing of the dolphin's snout and wonderfully expressive face. The dolphin-rider is himself well-proportioned and naturally posed, with remarkable realistic details captured on his upturned face.

#8 @Cucumbor

Note from Q: I post two pics of the coin, the first being the seller's, showing better details, the second being mine, better showing the overall aspect of the coin in-hand IMO, patina in particular)

Q_1_Athene-tetradblanc.jpg
    Q_2_Athene-tetradb.jpg
    ATTICA, Athens.
    AR Tetradrachm, Circa 454-404 BC.
    Wt.: 17.08 g
    Dia.: 24 mm
    Or.: 8h
    Obv.: Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye
    Rev.: Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig and crescent behind, all within incuse square. ΑΘΕ in the right field
    Ref : Kroll # 8; HGC # 4,1597
    Ex CNG e-sale # 376

Price: $977 ($850 Hammer + 15%: 2016 Purchase) Although… Technically zero, nothing, zilch! as it was a gift from my dear wife for my birthday

Why It’s Cool:
    Ask anyone on the street if they've heard about what an ancient coin is. Most of them will have the image of an Athenian Owl tetradrachm coming to their mind: another iconic coin!

At the time they were in use, they were the international standard for trade and business, as would be the denarius for the Romans a bit later, or closer to us the Venitian florin and nowadays the US dollar. Furthermore, this is the coin that financed the building of the Parthenon and bankrolled the Peloponnesian War for the Athenians. Socrates and Pericles may have used these (maybe not that one though)!

Of course, it's cool because my wife gifted me with it. Please read what I wrote about that very coin in my presentation thread :https://www.cointalk.com/threads/between-my-wife-and-i-an-owl-story.280813/

And what's cool too is that @zumbly has been the first to positively comment on it in the thread

By now you all know the drill in the comment section. Feel free to post pictures of coins, angry bulls, or sad guys crying in the rain ;) Whatever you post is fair game as long as you’re having fun. Thanks everyone and thanks to our fantastic finalists!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

OMG, I fold, I quit! There is NO WAY I can vote on these...

Can we get SIX VOTES PLEASE, instead of just three???

Guys, these are SUPERB! EXCELLENT match-up!

I lovem both... both would be awesome in my collection... Great job.

Nice.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Bing: Be forever thankful that dealers do not have the time to put full care into each photo. They benefit from more satisfied customers when coins look better in hand. We benefit when we learn to guess what a certain dealer's photo will look like. I know a couple dealers that are truly horrid photographers. At least this one shows every pimple so you could not be upset when you saw the coin. It is a nice owl but I voted for the dolphin anyway.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Oh so right. Not sure how I will vote yet. I like both a lot.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm having one hell of a time deciding how to vote on this one:confused:....I LOVE the Attic Owl but the sheer artistry of the Taras dolphin keeps drawing me in.

Hey, wait a minute...Didn't 'Z' just whip my butt???:shifty::D

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

As @Alegandron said. This was a tough one to vote on.
    Leaves me both curious and hopeful as to what coins will be chosen by the winners to represent them in the final.

8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

There isn't to much I don't like about both coins, fantastic. The hardest part as most are finding is what to vote for, for toning and eye appeal I have to give it to zumbly, and as for historical, you can't go past the iconic 440 BC owl.

9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like owls (and I love Q) ... but I think that Z-Bro carpet-bombed this puppy (that's a stunner!!)

=> not nearly as sweet as my Taurus, but still a fairly worthy combatant

:rolleyes:

sad photo.gif

... not that I'm bitter, Q (you *edit*)

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This one is so hard. I love both of these coins and either would be the crown of my collection if it was in mine. I like the design of zumbly's coin more. I think Q's is a better "value" because of how nice his is and what the price was.

12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Interesting enough, I was looking for the same Athena/ Owl coin a few days ago. But I wouldn't mind looking for a dolphin rider either. With mainly looking is the key word, would love to add either to my collection. Well what I'm trying to say is they are both beautiful... now I'm not sure how to vote. :(

13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Just got home from work! I have to say Zumbly's coin is really nice/ the guy riding the dolphin is so neat. The history behind this coin also is fascinating. Cucumbor got his coin from his wife...cannot beat that for value on all fronts:happy:

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, Q, what a curve ball :wideyed:! Not at all what I was expecting... but let me say that just before seeing this thread and knowing for sure what coin you fielded, I privately expressed the opinion that if it was your Athens tet, then I was going be in deep trouble.

But yes, I meant what I said in your original thread... outstanding coin! Well-played! :)

15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This one raises an interesting question for me on the "eye appeal" category. I typically vote style over grade but style in this case is tricky.

That Attic tet is of archiac style and is kind of the victim of its own success. It was so recognizable and universally accepted that it was never allowed to develop the classic artistic beauty that you see on coins like zumbly's. I really like the archaic style with the full eye that shows influence from Egyptian art and this is a great example of the type. There is also no denying that zumbly's coin is a stunner with high classical style! Tough choice.

I think @Cucumbor is selling his tet short. I have, after extensive research, found the provenance for this coin.

Ex Pericles Collection, Live Auction Sale #17, Lot 4, 430 BC
    :shifty::wacky::happy:

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Two great coins and write-ups.

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

@zumbly : well done my friend, that dolphin is to die for

Q

Edit to add : in order to see the poll results I allowed myself to cast a vote. To keep it balanced I ticked one for Z and one fo Q

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks, Q. I was under the impression we had to cast all three votes. I have to admit, I gave myself two and you one. Just to be honest with myself :).

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

No problem, I'm not sure one less vote for you would be enough for my tet to win !

Q

20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I demand a bronze medal game so we get to see another coin from whoever "loses" this round!

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It's gonna be close ... I coughed-up a vote for Q-value (due to the birthday gift)

Draft saved Draft deleted