[Ancients] Announcing the First Annual CoinTalk Coin Imperator Tournament (2017)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

2017_Coin_Imperator.jpg
    I was recently gifted a great coin by one of our members, @Sallent, and I pledged to do my own give away in honor of his generosity. So here goes…

Inspired by the great coins and amazing posts I see on this site every day I thought it would be fun and in keeping with the spirit of march madness to have an annual tournament that pits some of our favorite coins and favorite members against each other in a good-natured competition for ancient coin supremacy!

My hope is that we can get some great participation from both our well known members as well as our newer collectors so please don’t hold back from entering just because you fall into one of these categories.

Here is how to enter
    1. Post below to this thread saying you would like to enter. Once we have between 16 and 32 people entered I will close the entry period, set up the bracket, and we will get started.
    2. Once we have our bracket set I will PM the participants asking for a photo of the coin you would like to enter for the first round. Please also include the following information:
    a. Attribution information, with description, date range etc.
    b. Price paid for the coin (not including shipping)
    c. A short description (2 sentences or less) on what makes the coin extra cool!​

Here are the rules:

1. 1 coin per round, per participant.
    2. Coins can be from any region, culture or time period before AD 1500
    3. There is no restriction on value or price you paid for any coin you enter for any round of the tournament. (Try to keep it to relatively recent purchases)
    4. I will make a separate thread with a poll for each head-to-head matchup. Members will each have 3 votes in the poll and will issue a vote for which coin comes out on top in each of the following categories.
      a. Eye Appeal
      b. Value for money
      c. Historical or numismatic interest​
    5. Polls will close after 1 week for each thread. The participant with the highest cumulative number of votes will win the match and advance to the next round.
    6. Participants will be seeded based on number of comments they have posted to CoinTalk.
    7. Winners in their round can choose to submit a new coin each round or continue to submit the coin from the previous round.
    8. Have fun!
    The winner will, of course, be granted a Triumph (you’ll see), be able to call themselves the Coin Imperator for the whole of the next year and will receive as their spolia opima the following coin.
    Gordian_Sestertius.jpg
    I understand that many of our long time collectors would rather have the newer members reap the benefits of give-aways and contests so with that in mind (and to get some of you regulars more involved) the two following options will also be open to the Imperator of the tournament at his/her imperial whim.
    • Nominate another member to receive the above coin on the Imperators behalf, or
    • I will donate $35 to the ACCG or a charity of the Imperators choice!
    ACCG.jpg
    So enter for yourself, enter for someone else or enter for a good cause! No matter who wins, everyone wins!

I will post the bracket and update results to this thread once we get underway. Good luck and let’s have some fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
    TIF, alde, Nyatii and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I don't think I'll participate, but I do want to thank you for the honor you did me with the mention, and I'd like to offer to match your $35 donation to the Imperator's charity of choice.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sure I'm in

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'll give it a shot:link::)

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a try.

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Count me in too.

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Yea I will play as well.

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Sure - sounds fun!

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

Id love to join in

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I am in. Thanks for doing this. It does sound like fun.

Curtisimo likes this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm in!

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

14. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow @stevex6 !
    From the previous pictures of you I've seen before, you didn't look at all like that in my mind :) Very threatening sight !!!

Great idea @Curtisimo and very generous from you, please count me in

Q

Curtisimo, Alegandron and zumbly like this.
  16. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Quick question: Is there a limit for how long you've owned the coin? I have several coins that I've owned for around 10 years. I paid less than $100 for them, but they would probably cost more than that today.

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is no limit for how long you've owned the coin. If you bought the coin a long time ago but feel that it's worth close to $100 or less today then I say it's fair game. If worth a great deal more than $100 then maybe go with a lower cost example and wait to play that coin if you make the championship round! Can I count you in as well? :)

The whole reason behind the $100 limit is that I didn't want to discourage our newer members for fear of going up against AJ and his Euainetos signed Syracusan Dekadrachm in the first round lol. Next year I'm thinking about upping the limit.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. I think @stevex6 and @ValiantKnight have put the competition on notice ;)

panzerman likes this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would love to be in, but I do not have any coins in that category, why not have no price paid limitation? Open it up to all ancient coins/ ?
    John

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

My assumption was that most collectors start with sub $100 coins so I could capture the greatest number of participants by restricting the entry limit.

It's kind of like in boxing where they have weight classes. You and AJ and a few others are in an elite class of your own ;) Nobody wants to step into the ring with Ali and get knocked silly in their first match lol. That's why I made the $100 limit because I figured even our advanced collectors had a few of their first coins left. Next year once we get this established I will make the tournament no limit and see what happens :)

Would $250 with a $500 championship be a more reasonable entry requirement?

Would anyone have an objection to a change of rules in that way?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    stevex6 and panzerman like this.
  20. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I'm in. I like the $100 limit- it will encourage more participation and while it is easy to get a real winner at $250, it is more difficult at $100.

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Ditto.

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted