[Poll] SEMIFINAL! #3 Alegandron vs #10 Ancient Aussie - CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 23, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#3 Alegandron)

29 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. Value for money (#3 Alegandron)

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#3 Alegandron)

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  4. Eye appeal (#10 Ancient Aussie)

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. Value for money (#10 Ancient Aussie)

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#10 Ancient Aussie)

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

We have reached the semifinal matches of our tournament and I am excited to say that we have some amazing entries that I think you are all going to love.

If you need to get caught up on all the action from the previous rounds you can do so here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

Semifinal_C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg

Only three matches left until we crown the Imperator!

#3 @Alegandron

upload_2017-4-18_9-7-3.png
    Roman Republic
    Province of Macedonia
    Quaestor Aesillas (BC 90-70)
    AR Tetradrachm, Thessalonika Mint
    Wt.: 16.5 g
    Dia.: 28 mm
    Obv: Head of the deified Alexander the Great wearing Ammon's horn right, Greek legend - MAKEΔONΩN (Macedonians), TH mint mark behind bust (Greek Θ)
    Rev: Club of Hercules center, Coin Chest (Cista) left field, Quaestor's chair (Sella) right field, Latin - AESILLAS (Quaester's name) above, Q for 'Quaestor' below name. Surrounded by a wreath.
    Ref: BMC 81-83; Dewing 1224-1225
    Ex: Collection of Nathan Miller

Price: $500 (Purchased in 2016)(Negotiated as part of a four coin deal)

Why It’s Cool:
    I chose this coin because it has it all... It is a big Tetradrachm! It is of Rome, the Republic, it has Greek style, some cool toning, and Alexander the Great...with flowing hair!

But, it was merely chump-change for a toll booth...

This is a strange coin, struck by Rome, using Latin and Greek legends, encompassing Alexander the Great's portrait to placate the local province of Macedonia as well as Thrace. It also bears a strong message on the reverse to pay your taxes! Note that Alexander does not have a diadem, as there was no room for a Macedonian King in a province of the Rome Republic...

We all know who the Macedonians and Romans were. But who was this Aesillas guy?

Ancient sources reveal nothing about this man, but we see hints on the coin: a cista (lidded basket) used for collecting Roman taxes, a sella (special chair) used by a Roman Quaestor when performing their duties. Ok, a Quaestor. Big deal...

But why did he issue a Roman coin in the name of the Macedonians?

Typically, a military reason accounts for that. Mithradates VI of Pontos started to establish an empire of its own in the east. The Romans wanted to increase their power and influence in Asia Minor anyway. And so a war with Mithradates began.

The Romans had to secure their supplies. They needed the Via Egnatia road which was probably the most important strategic route connecting the West and the East. A major part of the Via Egnatia crossed various belligerent tribes of Thrace. The Romans had to win the Thracians as allies. The Romans created the coins, which they used as payment, in such a way that they could be readily accepted by the Thracians. The Thracians were used to circulating coins that bore the portrait of Alexander the Great. Therefore Romans depicted Alexander on their coins as well, with flowing hair and the horn of Ammon.

By the time of Aesillas the Via Egnatia allowed the Romans to rapidly transport troops to the East. Mithradates VI had no chance. In 63 BC, the Roman general Pompey finally cornered him. Mithradates saw no other way than to take his own life. By that, the Romans became the unchallenged masters of Asia Minor.

Wow, so this Tet was actuallyTOLL MONEYon the Via Egnatia super-highway!
    Alegandron_2_upload_2017-4-18_13-25-16.png

#10 @Ancient Aussie

AA_2.jpg
    DOMITIAN RESTORATION OF CLAUDIUS
    AE AS, Rome Mint, Ca. 81-82 AD
    Wt.: 9.6 g
    Dia.: 27 mm
    Obv: TI CLAUDIUS CAESAR AVG PM TRP IMP PP. Claudius bare head left
    Rev: IPM D AVG REST SC. Minerva advancing right, brandishing spear and holding shield
    Sear 2899, Rare

Price: approx. $400 (Purchased in 2016)(*edit: corrected from AUD to USD*)

Why It’s Cool:
    Vespasian, Titus and Domitian all used the media of coinage to promote their links
    with the "good" emperors. Vespasian minted coins featuring legends similar to those of Augustus as well as images that suggested the first emperor. During his reign, Titus issued a series of commemorative coins. He issued only the denomination Aes in the series, likely an effort to ensure wider circulation than the more valuable coins. The restored types appeared on the obverse of the coin, while Titus, and later Domitian's, titles appeared on the reverse with the explicit statement that they had restored the coin. Types of Divus Augustus, Agrippa, Tiberius, Drusus, Livia, Nero Drusus, Germanicus, Agrippina the younger, Claudius, and Galba were struck, as well as a new coin featuring Britannicus, in honour of Titus' childhood friend, through these commemorative coins.

Domitian also assembled a list, similar to the elite group of Vespasian and Titus, of his own "good" emperors, only nowhere near as vast. The above coin is a rare example of the restored Claudius. Through their restorations, the members of the Flavian dynasty manipulated the way they were literally seen. By distancing themselves from Nero, and by promoting a negative image of him as a rex and dominus, they enhanced their legitimacy, and removed some of the stigma of "usurper." Promoting their arrival as salvation after a dark time allowed the Flavians to promote their reign as one of restoration and rebirth.

In a similar effort to further connect themselves with the achievements of the previous generations of good emperors the Flavians embarked on ambitious building projects to beautify Rome and win favor with the people. The most famous of these built under Domitian is the Stadium of Domitian whose outline can still be seen in the layout of the Piazza Navona.
    AA_2_20151005_120309.jpg
    AA_3_20151005_120533.jpg

By now you all know the drill in the comment section. Feel free to post pictures of coins, angry bulls, or sad guys crying in the rain ;) Whatever you post is fair game as long as you’re having fun. Thanks everyone and thanks to our fantastic finalists!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Mikey Zee, gregarious and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Ancient Aussie , that is a SUPER AE As! Well done. Well centered, great detail, perfect amount of wear, great patina, and Minerva is always a winner! I want this one!

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Thanks, but your silver has beautiful detail and I love all the objects on the reverse, great choice, very clean coin.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It's 9 - 9 at the moment!!

=> wow, we may have an overtime game!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

RAGNAROK, Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

17 - 16

=> it's a slobber-knocker!!

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Until @Ancient Aussie sent me those photos of the stadium of Domitian I had no idea there was any of it left under the current Palazzo. Here are a few of my images from Piazza Navona in honor of your coin AA.
    IMG_4211.JPG IMG_4210.JPG IMG_4212.JPG IMG_4209.JPG

Both beautiful coins and great write ups! Thanks guys.

I should also mention that I initially posted this before converting AA's price from AUD to USD. I was able to fix it pretty quickly after posting. My apologies AA!

Mikey Zee, Andres2, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very sweet reverse on the Aesillas, and the historical writeup has put that coin firmly on my want list after having been a mere "maybe" for a long time. Thanks!!

But that restoration As is RARE people!! Value for money oh yes oh yes. And it's an absolute beauty too.

Had to talk that up, this is the first time I've voted and not been in general agreement with the results to that point!

Mikey Zee, zumbly, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

These get harder and harder as it should be. I want either or both in my collection. Whichever way I vote, it could have just as easily gone the other way. Congrats to both. Lovely coins for sure.

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great coins, guys. The Aesillas is an excellent example of the type, and that rare Claudius restoration is highly interesting as well (and I suspect one that looks better than the photograph is showing it to be). Congrats!

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Two great coins for just one winner : tough, tough !

Q

12. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

both great coins and write-ups!

Curtisimo and Ancient Aussie like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Looks like Gandalf is going for the choke-hold!! ... things have gone south for poor ol' AA since I last checked-out this epic battle!!

=> Sweep the leg, AA ... SWEEP THE LEG!!

14. Ancient Aussie

I was going great guns till you started making these comments, it's all your fault...:mad::mad::mad:

Curtisimo, zumbly and stevex6 like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Quit your cryin' => SWEEP THE LEG!!

Curtisimo, Ancient Aussie and zumbly like this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I know it's still early, but I think Gandalf is already going for his finisher...

00gandalf2.jpg

00gandalf.jpg

17. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin, Alegandron ! Smart move of the Romans putting a portrait of Alexander the great on their ""toll money"" coins . Their enemy King Mithradates VI of Pontos was well on his way to conquer Greece , after his victories in Turkey & Thrace , he saw himseld as the new Alexander the great, untill roman general Pompey the great ended his dream.
    P1180408.JPG

Paul M., Jwt708, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think both coins are beautiful and interesting. This match totally lives up to the semifinal hype :)

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised that @Ancient Aussie had a slow down in voting for his coin on the value category.

Try and find another Claudius Restoration As as nice as that one. AA practically stole that coin lol

19. Ancient Aussie

Just for interest here is another one of these restoration issues, nowhere near as rare as the Domitian of Claudius but still scarce. This one is Titus restoration of Tiberius, AE As Rome 80-81 AD, 27mm, 11.1gm, RIC 432. 20160904_130338.jpg

20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Another tough one for me!! I eventually voted 2 of 3 for the Tet but I still think it's a draw all things considered.

Maybe I'm 'prejudiced':eek: since I have an Aesillas but lack that Domitian restoration:sorry:

rr aesillas tet macedon.JPG

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This contest will close tomorrow but the voting seems to have plataeud a bit prematurely so I figured I would bump it up to the top a bit early.

Thanks all.

Draft saved Draft deleted