[Poll] #6 David Atherton vs #11 IdesOfMarch01 (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 5, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 12, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#6 David Atherton)

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Value for money (#6 David Atherton)

34 vote(s)
    70.8%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#6 David Atherton)

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Eye appeal (#11 IdesOfMarch01)

35 vote(s)
    72.9%
  5. Value for money (#11 IdesOfMarch01)

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#11 IdesOfMarch01)

36 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello and welcome to the first round of the 2017 CoinTalk Coin Imperator Tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament then you can read about it here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg

Please take a minute to appreciate the excellent coins shown below and cast your votes. A BIG thanks to both our contestants for sharing these cool examples!

#6 @David Atherton

David Atherton_B3EBD2CBA49C4197AFBCA46D6B99D4BF.jpg

Titus
    AR Denarius, 2.87g
    Rome mint, 80 AD
    RIC 112 (C2), BMC 72, RSC 309
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P; Dolphin coiled around anchor
    Ex Berk

Price: $400 (Purchased in 2005: Inflation adjusted to 2017 = $499)

Why It’s Cool:
    This denarius was part of a series struck for the lectisternium (religious ceremony) celebrating the opening of the Colosseum in 80 AD.

Each god had its own sacred couch, in Latin they are known as 'pulvinaria', brought out in pairs, probably in the Forum. The coins commemorate the sacred couches which were set out with 'exuviae' (emblems) representing the gods. This dolphin and anchor type is most likely the 'pulvinar' of Neptune.

#11 @IdesOfMarch01

5d - Claudius AV aureus.jpg

CLAUDIUS 10 B.C. - 54 A.D.
    AV Aureus, (7.79 g.) Rome 44 - 45 A.D. RIC 25
    Obv. TI CLAVD CAESAR AVG P M TR P IIII laureate head r.
    Rev. Battlemented wall IMPER RECEPT enclosing praetorian camp, Fides Praetorianorum left.
    Ex. Metropolitan Museum of Art Collection. Lustrous.

Price: $24,000 (Purchased 2008: Inflation adjusted 2017 = $27,155)

Why It’s Cool:
    With this coin, Claudius honored the Praetorian Guard, who elevated him to emperor immediately after the assassination of Claudius' nephew, the emperor Caligula. Claudius, having heard about the assassination and fearing for his life, was found cowering behind a curtain by the Praetorians. Because Claudius had a reputation as a half-wit and stammerer, the Praetorians considered him a harmless member of the royal family. Claudius became the first emperor to be raised to Caesar by the Praetorians.

Despite commemorating one of the most significant historical events of the first century AD, Berk oddly does not include this coin in his 100 Greatest Ancient Coins.

Claudius went on to be a highly successful emperor, building the Port at Ostia, establish London as a civilian Roman city, and undertaking a large number of public projects.

One of my favorite quotes from the BBC series I, Claudius when Claudius was asking the senate to confirm him as emperor:

"As for being half-witted: well, what can I say, except that I have survived to middle age with half my wits, while thousands have died with all of theirs intact. Evidently, quality of wits is more important than quantity."

The comment section of this thread will be open for shameless lobbying, good natured discussion and for anyone to explain their voting logic if they choose.

I know that I don’t have to tell you fine, upstanding ladies and gentlemen this but remember to keep the banter civil, respectful and POSITIVE lest the mods become upset with us. Remember this is all in fun and will benefit a good cause no matter who wins :)

…and of course PLEASE post your relevant examples pile on style!

Deacon Ray, Paul M., Bing and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Let me be the first to say that that's an absolutely first-rate portrait of Titus on that denarius. It stands out even among the generally high-quality portraits typically found on Titus' denarii.

4. alde

alde Always Learning

Both fantastic coins.

Deacon Ray, Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet => it's definitely gonna be close!!

David, I love your awesome Titus-dolphin example (a total beauty)

... man, it is far nicer than my humble example (your example has amazing centering and gorgeous toning)

:rolleyes:

Titus & Dolphin.jpg

=> good luck!!

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I love both, but IdesOfMarch01 magnificent Claudius Aureus is a show stopper, otherwise David's Titus would have unbeatable. Both have diverse histories. Also the Aureus and the Denarius are great coins for the money.

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!

Both coins are gorgeous...and I can only guess (from acsearch etc) that I.O.M's superb aureus is already at high market value while the Titus denarius may have been purchased at low retail.

In this case coming in second is still like winning the lottery LOL

8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

When I found out that I was to be pitted against @IdesOfMarch01 , I joked with Curtisimo that it was literally going to be a David against a goliath. Boy, was I right. That is a tremendous aureus!

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

David ... a sling is a projectile weapon typically used to throw a blunt object

=> use this info wisely!!

;)

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

How to vote... hmm. They are both really good looking. I really like the design on the denarius but how can I say no to a gold coin like that?

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are outstanding examples. If there are others better in this competition I can't wait to see them. If not, these two should be in the finale. I'm impressed with both equally.

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That Titus portrait is truly phenomenal, but IMHO the Claudius portrait is exceptional in its own right. The aureus reverse type is of special significance to this emperor, and I can see why it would command a price premium compared to other aurei of Claudius. On the other hand, the Titus reverse commemorates the opening of the Colosseum and is very distinctive as well. Tough choice!

13. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

This was the toughest vote for me. The portrait on that Titus looks like a little silver human, but man something in old Claudius' eyes feels emotional in a way you almost never see on these old hunks of metal. Can't wait to see what the winner posts next!

14. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Both fantastic coins but I think that Claudius Aureus is one of the best coins I have ever seen.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Paul M., panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't fear challenging IOM ?
    I would :)

I think we all are so much attracted by the sun, that, for sitting back and thinking about choosing wisely, we need to turn those pictures into black and white....or wear sun glasses !

Both fantastic coins

As we are alowed to, let me toss in my Titus denarius (for some reason I don't have any Claudius aureus to contribute with :D)

[​IMG]

Good luck to both contestants

Q

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Both coins have scratches that detract or they might have brought more. My dolphin has a bigger fault: It is the less popular brother (so only $119 in 1998).
    rb1460b01576lg.jpg

17. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Just FYI, for those of you who haven't viewed the Claudius in hand, I can report that there are no scratches visible to the naked eye, nor any scratches noted by either my dealer or the auction house.

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Oooow, this is one is getting close!! (I love it!)

These match-ups are great ... thanks Curtisimo (well done)

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still some time to vote for those who haven't done so in this awesome battle featuring 2 of the 12 Caesars :)
    IMG_4186.JPG
    The Coliseum (opened under Titus)
    Aqua_Claudia_16.jpg
    The Aqua Claudia (opened under Claudius)

20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This was an extremely entertaining contest with some amazing coins! Thanks to our participants and voters.

Results:
    @IdesOfMarch01: 83 (WINNER)
    @David Atherton : 59

David Atherton came out ahead on value for money but Ides' stunning Aureus took the Eye Appeal and Interest categories to win the match.

I want to send a special thanks to David for being willing to step in at the last minute and fill in for this match. Expect to see Round 2 start shortly :)

21. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Congrats to @IdesOfMarch01 for his win. Heck, between the two coins even I would've voted for the Claudius!

Mikey Zee, Cucumbor and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted