Poll: $5 spangled options

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Clint, Jul 27, 2012.

?

What's the best way to get a 2012 gold commem?

1. $5 spangled unc

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. $5 spangled prf

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. neither...spouses are way lower mintage

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. none of the above: they're only worth spot

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Clint

Clint Member

Which would you do?

1. Buy the Unc

2. Buy the Proof
    3. Buy a spouse...much lower mintage :hail:

4. None of the above...they're only worth spot :rolleyes:

ETA: I think the wild card is that the proof may rank among the lowest mintages...next to the olympic uncs!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clint

Clint Member

So...I guess it matters WHY you might buy one. Since future value is usually important, take a look at a greysheet. Jackie plus 3 Olympics, FDR and Capitol all get honors in unc. Proofs? Nowhere to be seen. I don't have a recent GS, so it would be cool to hear someone chime in with how last year's Army and MoH are doing. But, if the spangled $5 proof stays below 7,000 wouldn't that be interesting? Or would the unc version just trump it, no matter what, and the proof would get hung out to dry...

Next, although the unc fields have a beautiful shimmer, it's hard to ignore that this design seems custom made for a proof finish. Yeah, the stripes are kinda odd, but in proof they really sing! But is that enough to carry value?

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I liked the silver coin design better than the gold. As far as prices go we'll see what happens. How many of y'all bought the gold?

Attached Files:

5. Danr

Danr Numismatist

heads up on this- the proof 5 is also in the 2 coin set- the unc is only available in the one coin option- that adds to the proof mintge

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

it is above 15,000 due to the two coin set

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Before the metals prices skyrocketed I would buy both a proof and uncirculated example of the modern commem offerings. Now I'm down to only one example and I invariably choose the uncirculated piece because it usually has the lower mintage numbers.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Ditto!

9. Clint

Clint Member

Thanks, I was unaware of that. Is the mint consistent in its reporting mintages like this, such that you always have to add individual with set numbers to get the total?

10. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Yes-you usually have to add them yourself
    I got the info here http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/mint-stats-who-buys-coins-on-vacation the 2 coin set is at 10,475 (that included a proof $5 http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=16604&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=47506) -- individual proof mintage stands at 5,266

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Still gotta budget an (commemorative) example for this collector. Ouchy price wise but I think I'll prevail overall.......:)

12. DrDarryl

DrDarryl Well-Known Member

ssbproof.jpg
    I attended the release ceremony back in March and obtained the proper paperwork for NGC "Release Ceremony" designation. Only 10 gold proofs and 6 gold uncirculated were sold at the release ceremony (documented in news releases). I doubt that there are other gold SSB with this designation. I donated these coins to the Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine. I wrote the story up at http://coins.www.collectors-society....ew.aspx?s=9738

Draft saved Draft deleted