[Poll] #4 Mikey Zee vs #5 zumbly (round 2) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 13, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 17, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#4 Mikey Zee)

37 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. Value for money (#4 Mikey Zee)

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#4 Mikey Zee)

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
  4. Eye appeal (#5 zumbly)

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  5. Value for money (#5 zumbly)

37 vote(s)
    75.5%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#5 zumbly)

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’m excited to finally be underway with round 2 of the tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament or if you missed the results from round 1 then you can get caught up here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017_Round_2.jpg

Thank you to the participants as well as the voters for making this tournament a success so far and remember to keep in mind that it will all benefit a good cause

#4 @Mikey Zee

Mike_Zee_anthiocho VIII.jpg
    Seleukid Kings of Syria, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypos)
    AR Tetradrachm, Antioch on the Orontes, circa 112-110 BC.
    Wt.: 16.05 g
    Dia.: 27 mm
    Orientation: 12h
    Obv.: Diademed head of Antiochos right within fillet border.
    Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟVΣ, Zeus Ouranios, draped, standing facing, head to left, holding star in outstretched hand and long sceptre, crescent above, monograms in left field, N in inner right field; all within laurel border.
    SC 2302.1.

Price: $495 (Purchased 2017)

Why It’s Cool:
    Gazing upon this coin, regardless of how one feels about the descendants of the successors of Alexander the Great, one can't help but ponder how it all began, from the conquests of Alexander and his generals, back to Macedonia, and even back to the time before Philip II when Macedon was alternatively dominated by Thebes, Sparta and Athens and as chaotically depraved as the Kingdoms of the Seleucids, the Ptolemies and the Antigonids/Attalids that would follow centuries later.

A further glance at the coin and the artistry---the intricate detail of the devices---and the coin becomes ever more desirable. The portrait of Antiochos VIII is one of the best I have come across, clearly displaying why he was nick-named 'grypos' the hook-nosed. Even with the slight doubling of the reverse, the negotiated cost of this tetradrachm seemed nearly a bargain....and very cool.

The portrait of this coin was intentionally styled to make it seem like Antiochos was living the good life, or Tryphe, to the Greeks. It is said he spent so lavishly on parties that he had to send guests home with a beast of burden. In reality his reign was no cake walk. He even had to poison his own mother by forcing her to drink a poisoned cup of wine that she had meant for him!

#8 @zumbly

zumbly_Sicily Syracuse Dilitron.jpg

SICILY, Syracuse
    AE Dilitron. 21.31g, 27mm. Time of Timoleon and the Third Democracy, circa 336-317 BC.
    Wt.: 21.31 g
    Dia.: 27 mm
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus Eleutherios left.
    Rev.: Unfettered horse rearing left.
    Calciati 80; SNG Cop 725.

Price: Purchased as part of a lot ($509 for 14 coins: Average cost = $36.36: zumbly’s estimated weighted cost = $105) values inflation adjusted from 2015

Why It’s Cool:
    This hefty Syracusan bronze represents an artistic high point in the bronze coinage of 4th century Syracuse, as well as a turning point in the city's fortunes following a period of upheaval across Sicily. The majestically-styled head of Zeus Eleutherios (Zeus the Liberator), together with the device of the unfettered horse on the reverse, celebrated the ousting of the tyrant Hiketas in 343 BC, and symbolized the restoration of democratic government to the city. Timoleon, the Corinthian general responsible for Syracuse's liberation, also expelled tyrants from several other cities, and circumvented designs on the island by an invading Carthaginian force. His subsequent efforts at rebuilding and reorganizing Syracuse ushered in a period of prosperity and cultural rejuvation, leading to his being known as the Second Founder of Syracuse. It has been theorized that the excellent style of Syracuse's coinage under Timoleon was the work of one or a number of master engravers brought over to the island from Corinth.

All the comments in the first round were friendly, educational and lots of fun. I very much enjoyed it so let’s keep that going into this round also!

One small change for this round is that the polls will close after 4 days. It seems most everyone who wanted to vote in the first round was able to by about that time. If we need to make another adjustment we can do so in the semi-finals. Good luck to the players!

…and as before PLEASE post your relevant (or irrelevant) examples pile on style!

Mikey Zee, stevex6, icerain and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

nice coins! super writeups too!

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW! on both coins! Very nice. Great write-ups, great coins! Wonderful matchup!

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are excellent examples of their type. It's hard to pick one over the other. It's like choosing which fruit you like best; apples or oranges.

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm a bit like bing in front of his fruits while choosing an ice cream : vanilla/chocolate !

Great coins folks
    Q

7. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

i concur with ya Bing AND Q

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow! 17 to 18! Could this match get any closer? I keep having to hit the refresh button to see what happens lol

Alegandron and Paul M. like this.
  9. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I am really enjoying these threads!

10. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

Most difficult for me so far. Great coins.

Alegandron, Paul M. and Curtisimo like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Excellent coin, Mikey! I'm enjoying all the various match-ups on offer in Round 2, including my own!

12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Another two fantastic coins, and has taken me 30 min to decide my votes, but I finally could not go past the eye appeal on @Mikey Zee TET, life like portrait and every ab and muscle on Zeus visible, as for value and history, close but gave to zumbly as Syracuse history fascinates me.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Paul M. like this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think this is the best match up we have seen yet! Amazingly close so far. One or two people could swing this contest either way.

I think @zumbly has a beautiful Sicilian bronze but I just can't go against that @Mikey Zee Grypos tet. That's the best portrait of Antiochos VIII I've seen and the coin is excellent style!

I would take either of them at those prices but I think I'd have to give a slight edge to zumbly's coin.

As for interest... I think I'll have to flip a coin (don't worry I'll flip a modern clad ;))

I will pile on with my much inferior Seleucid Tetradrachm.

IMG_4008.JPG

Ajax, Severus Alexander, TIF and 8 others like this.
  14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Some awesome coins, you guys are making it hard which to choose. As much as I like the look of that Tet. you can't beat the feel of an old heavy coin.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Both coins are total winners ... and both of you dudes are totally awesome coiners, so it is a burn-burner!!

I want both coins ... but the animal coin always wins my final vote!

Great competition (this one is my favourite challenge to watch, so far) ...

=> it's gonna be close!

:rolleyes:

16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Love your post @zumbly !!! Even I can't make up my mind how to vote LOL

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yeah, it looks like our coins are splitting the votes pretty evenly, eh. Good fun. And that Grypos is beautiful... well-played, sir!

18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Both are great examples of classical coinage, its a tough choice. I would give a slight edge to Mikey's coin. But I agree with Steve....animal coins always win. Esp. hippos;)! Unfortunately, most of my "animals" are in the post ancient category.

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, why hasn't everybody bid on this sweet competition ... just curious?

The numbers don't quite add-up?

This competition = 64 versus 72 (136 total votes)

My "Taurus/Lobo" competition versus Q = 63 versus 105 (168 total votes)

... ummm, but not that I'm counting ...

:rolleyes:

20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

It looks like your and Qs competition got quite a bit of traffic in terms of views on the site. If I had to guess I would say that there was more participation among the US/World crowd for that thread.

I will be watching this thread carefully though. As of the time of this post there is only an 8 point separation between Mikey and zumbly. Too close to call with only a day left to vote!

21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Well, it looks like I have to get my 'staff' to prepare a concession statement (or engage a lawyer to contest the obvious irregularities of this 'rigged' election:grumpy:;))

Seriously, I congratulate 'Z' and I look forward to seeing the winners move on to the final rounds.:D

And thanks once again to @Curtisimo for arranging all of this in the first place:)

Volodya, Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted