[Poll] #4 Mike Zee vs #13 Nicholas Molinari (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 4, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 11, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#4 Mikey Zee)

45 vote(s)
    91.8%
  2. Value for money (#4 Mikey Zee)

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#4 Mikey Zee)

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. Eye appeal (#13 Nicholas Molinari)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. Value for money (#13 Nicholas Molinari)

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#13 Nicholas Molinari)

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello and welcome to the first round of the 2017 CoinTalk Coin Imperator Tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament then you can read about it here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg

Please take a minute to appreciate the excellent coins shown below and cast your votes. A BIG thanks to both our contestants for sharing these cool examples!

#4 @Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee_5D9C3A3CE58A45C79FDAE4C9765A8643.jpg

Julia Domna Augusta 194-217 AD.,mother ofCaracallaand Geta
    AR Denarius, Laodicea ad Mar(Syria)mint 199-207 AD., under Septimius Severus
    Dia.: 20 mm
    Wt.: 3.68 g
    Obv.: IVLIA AVGVSTA, drapedbust right
    Rev.: PIETAS PVBLICA,Pietasstanding left,raising both handslightedand garlandedaltarto left
    Ref.: RIC IV 643(Severus) RSC 156
    Extremely fine,scarce, part of a Hoard of Roman silver coins

Price: $65 (recent purchase)

Why It’s Cool:
    Coins Of Julia Domna from the Laodicea mint are widely regarded as the most lovely and artistic of her series. Purchased for $65.00 hammer, I considered it a bargain for the price. Being the wife of an Emperor and the mother of two others, let alone being well known for her powerful influence, intellect and beauty makes her one of the most remarkable of the all of the imperial ladies and one of the most tragic.

#13 @Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari_IMG_2518.JPG

CAMPANIA, Neapolis, c.317/310 to 270 BC.
    Quarter Unit, Taliercio-; Potamikon-
    Obv.: Head of Apollo to right
    Rev.: Forepart of Acheloios Sebethos as a man-faced bull to right, [dolphin above], D in field between legs.
    Wt.: 1.83g.

Price: $40 (recent purchase)

Why It’s Cool:
    Well struck for the type, and this variety is unique and unpublished (It is not featured in Potamikon)!

The comment section of this thread will be open for shameless lobbying, good natured discussion and for anyone to explain their voting logic if they choose.

I know that I don’t have to tell you fine, upstanding ladies and gentlemen this but remember to keep the banter civil, respectful and POSITIVE lest the mods become upset with us. Remember this is all in fun and will benefit a good cause no matter who wins :)

…and of course PLEASE post your relevant examples pile on style!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Very nice looking Julia Domna denarius/ Mikey:happy: Nicholas/ must be great to own a coin that is unpublished/unique? You both have special coins! John

Mikey Zee and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great coins for various reasons each. Congrats to both and may the best coin win (but being second in this match-up is no bad thing).

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This was a tough vote in some ways. The man faced bull is a crusty coin, that's rare and interesting. The denarius is a wonderful example of an important historical figure. These two are like apples and oranges!

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  6. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

offcourse pietas./ the bull is burning

panzerman likes this.
  7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I'm staying out of this one, since I may be a bit too biased towards the Domna. So instead I will just post some coins. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It's a fricken horse-race!!

=> I love both types ...

Julia Domna
    Julia Domna too.jpg

Campania

Campania Cales Manbull.jpg

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How could I not vote for a Domna. Yes, there are coins of hers that are rare and interesting if you ask me (but nobody did). Three Eastern mints: Alexandria, Emesa, Laodicea
    rk5030bb1263.jpg rk5145fd3443.jpg rk5440bb0525.jpg

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice coins, but why not vote for your favorite? Ah just play along, will ya!

;)

Nice zebu!

icerain and zumbly like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Man, this is the toughest one for me so far . I love that rare, crusty MFB bronze, but at the same time, the Domna is a beautiful coin in the name of a great historical figure. I've changed my votes once already and may do so again the next time I look at the thread.

Nicholas Molinari and Curtisimo like this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

The toughest one vote so far : no need of a 10000+ coin to compete, reason why this contest is cool !!

Q

13. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I'm getting blown away on eye appeal!

stevex6 likes this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, well sometimes inner-beauty is pretty fricken hot!! (a nice personality goes a long way) ... and sensible shoes

:rolleyes:

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Now, if your coin had been matched up against my ragged, recycled Byzantine metal, you might've had a fighting chance in that category. Blame @Curtisimo :p.

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Haha... yeah dang that Curtisimo! :angelic:

This one is interesting in that there is no clear winner yet in two of the categories. I had to go with Quarter Unit on eye appeal despite totally loving Mikey's Domna. Compared to others of a similar type it's a beautiful little bronze.

Paul M. and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Still I wonder why it is that I did not
    go ahead and bid on that Julia. I guess nice guys do win sometimes.
    By that I mean I scored this one after seeing Mikey Zee take that one.
    Both are winners :D Julia Domna-Pietas[RIC 574].jpg

18. Nicholas Molinari

I'm still bewildered by the "eye appeal" rating, although I guess I'm a bit over-the-top when it comes Acheloios.

I will accept my defeat gracefully, and promise not to perform any harmful incantations against Mikey in my shrine tonight.

19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still a few hours left to vote on this contest if anyone hasn't done so already. Poll closes at 4:56 CST. Thanks!

panzerman likes this.
  20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Another great round one contest comes to a close today. Thanks to everyone who played and voted in this one.

Results:
    @Mikey Zee: 96 (WINNER)
    @Nicholas Molinari: 47

This was a close one in both the Value and Interest categories with the Eye Appeal acting as the deciding factor in favor of Mikey Zee. Congratulations and thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to the next round!

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  21. Nicholas Molinari

Yeah real close lol. Congrats Miley Zee, I'm now obligated to root for you!

Draft saved Draft deleted