[Poll] #3 Alegandron vs #14 Parthicus (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 5, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 12, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#3 Alegandron)

33 vote(s)
    80.5%
  2. Value for money (#3 Alegandron)

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#3 Alegandron)

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  4. Eye appeal (#14 Parthicus)

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. Value for money (#14 Parthicus)

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#14 Parthicus)

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello and welcome to the first round of the 2017 CoinTalk Coin Imperator Tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament then you can read about it here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg

Please take a minute to appreciate the excellent coins shown below and cast your votes. A BIG thanks to both our contestants for sharing these cool examples!

#3 @Alegandron

Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd Le Rider 102.JPG

Kingdom of Makedon
    Philip II 382-336 BCE (Reign 359-336 BCE)
    AR Tetradrachm. 25mm. 14.4g
    Mint: Pella, lifetime issue, struck circa 353-349 BC.
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ,
    Rev: Philip on horseback left, wearing kausia and raising right hand; spearhead below, star below horse's raised foreleg.
    Le Rider 102 (D58/R82); SNG ANS 357

Price:$950 USD Landed (Recent purchase)

Why It’s Cool:
    I enjoy collecting historically rather than numismatically.

Philip II was the father of Alexander III (The Great) of Makedon. Philip inherited a shattered kingdom that was being invaded from all sides. Through diplomacy and brilliant thinking he held his enemies off, consolidated his kingdom, and built the first Nation-State in Europe. He recreated the Army with a two-fold hammer and anvil effect. The Infantry was organized into a Greek Phalanx with the new 21' Sarissa. This was combined with the Cavalry that was copied from the Thracian Tribes' wedge formation. He also engaged brilliant engineering minds to develop catapults, crossbow artillery, siege engines, etc. that were vastly ahead of their time. Philip acquired vast precious metals mining areas which enabled him to finance Europe's first standing national army. He built a Nation-State on a model of conquering peoples, but relocating and assimilating into Makedon instead of enslaving them. Through brilliant diplomacy and military prowess, he was able to create a Hegemony over Greece. His unfortunate death has been attributed to many events. However, with his strategic plans to invade Persia, strong evidence points to Darius of Persia behind the murder. A united and placated Greece; a full treasury; a large, highly mobile, incredibly effective, and fierce army; a Nation-State to pull militia; experienced leaders and military personnel; and a brilliant tactical and strategic mind all combined to later be unleashed to destroy the Persian Empire and push Greek civilization from Europe to India for centuries to come. Without Philip's brilliant achievements, Alexander the Great may had never been.

#14 @Parthicus

PhraatacesMusa.jpg

Phraatakes, with Queen Musa (2 BC- AD 4)
    AR Drachm, Ekbatana mint
    Parthian Kingdom
    Obv.: Bust of Phraatakes left, with two Nikes offering diadems.
    Rev.: Bust of Queen Musa wearing tall tiara, legend around, Ekbatana mint-monogram.
    Ref.: Sellwood 58.9, Shore 324

Price: Approx. $700 (Purchased 2010: Inflation adjusted to 2017 = $782)

Why It’s Cool:
    Musa was born a Roman slave girl, was given by Augustus to the Parthian king as a diplomatic gift, worked her way into royal favor, and maneuvered her son into the royal succession. She then had her husband poisoned and her son declared king, and to top it off, she married her own son, with whom she reigned briefly until they were overthrown by the Parthian nobles. Surely that story deserves a Shakespeare play, or at least a Lifetime Movie of the Week.

The comment section of this thread will be open for shameless lobbying, good natured discussion and for anyone to explain their voting logic if they choose.

I know that I don’t have to tell you fine, upstanding ladies and gentlemen this but remember to keep the banter civil, respectful and positive lest the mods become upset with us. Remember this is all in fun and will benefit a good cause no matter who wins :)

…and of course PLEASE post your relevant examples pile on style!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I would like to open that @Parthicus 's Drachma is a wonderful, detailed, and well-struck example. Its romantic history is incredible. A beautiful coin that I envy for my collection. Well done!

panzerman, dadams, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I love your Tet Alegandron and I love that drachm also.

I had saved this one till last because I was looking forward to it the most! Two very evenly matched entries IMO. Historical interests is off the charts for both coins.

dadams and Alegandron like this.
  5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

And I would point out that @Alegandron's tetradrachm is a lovely coin, full of motion and vitality. Check out that reverse- it looks like Phillip is grabbing onto the rim of the coin with his hand!

panzerman, dadams, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wowie... this one is a tough match-up!

Alegandron, panzerman, dadams and 3 others like this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I consider this 'competition' to be the most evenly matched and hardest to separate for a specific vote than any of the others already presented....I keep thinking it should be a tie in every category since both coins are superb examples of their type!!

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

This one is hard. Again trying not to let personal preferance get in the way of just judgement.
    While I want a few specific Parthian coins I absolutely love the Makedon history. And historical thats an awsome Makedon tet for the occasion.

9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Both Parthicus and Alegandron have great coins, both are excellent purchases, the historical facts are unique to each coin, like Mikey said, it should be declared a tie:happy:

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, guys => those are both fricken gorgeous examples!!

Man, this is gonna be another barn-burner!!

:woot::woot:

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Odd. Of all the round one contests, I found this the easiest choice. I also agree that Musa is a movie begging to be made. Mithradatkart mint really made Phraatakes look like a pinhead.
    op0170bb0664.jpg

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I was so pleased at seeing a Parthian drachm that did not have a seated archer on it, and even more so when I saw the lovely reverse portrait. The Philip II is a solid example and is an iconic coin of a very significant ruler, but in this case, I have to admit that Queen Musa won all my votes.

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Just this morning before Curtisimo loaded this page I was thinking if someone did a Philip II or Alexander it might do as well as Julius Caesar after all their history is just as significant as Caesars, and bang there it was an hour later what a great coin Alegandron, but the Parthian coin is nice as well.

Paul M., panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm partial to parthian coins....

...and to greek tets too !

A Musa drachm is iconic....

...but a Philip II on horseback tet is iconic too !

Well, we all have problems in our lives :)
    Q

Mikey Zee, panzerman, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

So after doing some reading I learned that Queen Musa being gifted to Phraates IV may have been part of the negotiations that returned the eagle standard lost by Crassus to the Parthians... I am amazed I was not aware of her before this contest.
    IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    It's interesting to compare a contemporary sculpture of her (above) to her likeness on coins. I might have to start branching out further east with my collecting habits :) thanks Parthicus

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  16. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

If I've raised awareness of a neglected historical figure, and maybe even encouraged someone to expand their collecting horizons, well, as far as I'm concerned I've already won the contest, regardless of the poll results.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I also learned a lot about Parthian coins/history. I started looking into these, fascinating stuff:happy: I think this little competition has really sparked great interest/ comraderie among members...

Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  19. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I have learned a lot from the contest posts.

Love the sculpture of Musa.

She must have been quite the person to start out a slave and end up an empress.

Murdering her husband and marrying her son is just bonus points. :)

Hate to have her as a mother in law.

Alegandron, Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Seems you know what you're talkin about :)

Q

Alegandron, Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still a few hours left for anyone to submit final votes for this contest if they wish to.

Draft saved Draft deleted