[Poll] #3 Alegandron vs #11 IdesOfMarch01 (round 2) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 13, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 17, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#3 Alegandron)

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Value for money (#3 Alegandron)

37 vote(s)
    75.5%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#3 Alegandron)

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
  4. Eye appeal (#11 IdesOfMarch01)

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Value for money (#11 IdesOfMarch01)

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#11 IdesOfMarch01)

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’m excited to finally be underway with round 2 of the tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament or if you missed the results from round 1 then you can get caught up here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017_Round_2.jpg

Thank you to the participants as well as the voters for making this tournament a success so far and remember to keep in mind that it will all benefit a good cause

#3 @Alegandron

Alegandron_upload_2017-4-11_10-50-33.png

Africa, Zeugitana, Carthage
    EL Stater, (also circulated as a Dekadrachm)
    Anonymous, BCE 310-290
    18.5 mm x 7.27 g
    Obv: Grain-Wreathed head of Tanit left, triple-pendant earring and necklace; pellet before neck
    Rev: Horse standing right; two pellets below ground line
    Ref: Jenkins & Lewis Group V, 259–79; MAA 12; SNG Copenhagen 136
    Ex: Private Collection in Colorado
    Ex: Nathan Miller

Price: Approx. $2,000 (Purchased 2016)

Why It’s Cool:
    Carthage was a Phoenician city-state situated in North Africa. Historically founded in 814 BCE by citizens of Tyre, it lasted until 146 BCE. During the 7th to 3rd Century BCE, the Carthaginian Empire covered much of North Africa and the Western Mediterranean. Carthage struggled through Greek-Punic Wars between 600-265 BCE over Sicily, and further, fought the well-known three Punic Wars with the Roman Republic. The last Punic war resulted in their complete and utter destruction in 146 BCE.

When this Stater was issued 310-290 BCE, Carthage was at the zenith of its power. It was during the Third Greek War in Sicily that Hamilcar, Grandson of Hanno had taken virtually all of Sicily. Syracuse was the last stronghold that Carthage did not control, and they laid siege. In desperation, Agathokles the Tyrant of Syracuse, lead 14,000 troops to the Carthage homeland in North Africa during 310 BCE. He won some victories but by 307 BCE Agathokles was completely defeated.

This EL Stater may have been raised to finance the War with Agathokles, particularly when he invaded the Carthaginian homeland in North Africa. It was probably the first time Carthage was seriously attacked at home. The Electrum Stater, according to Jenkins was worth a ratio of 10-1 silver to Electrum (Dekadrachm), during the reign of Agathokles. The production of EL Staters to finance Hamilcar's Army was critical for the successful defense of Carthage. The issue probably continued on during the height of Carthage's power and before the First Punic war with Rome.

Alegandron_2_upload_2017-4-13_11-58-25.png

#11 @IdesOfMarch01

Bc - Titus AR denarius.jpg

TITUS 69 - 79 A.D.
    AR Denarius, Rome 80 A.D.
    Wt.: 3.31 g
    Obv.: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG PM Laureate head of Titus right.
    Rev.: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P Elephant, wearing cuirass, advancing left.
    RIC 115

Price: Approx. $1,900 (Purchased 2009)

Why It’s Cool:
    Titus ruled from 79 AD to 81 AD, and soon after becoming emperor following the death of his father Vespasian, had to deal with two historically catastrophic events: the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD, destroying Herculaneum and Pompeii, and a fire in Rome in 80 AD. His generosity in helping the Roman populace recover from these disasters was noted by Suetonius and other contemporary historians, who consider him a good emperor.

Titus completed the Colosseum in 80 AD and this coin historically commemorates the inauguration of the amphitheater, with 100 days of celebration, games and wild animals.

Ides_2_Colosseum.jpg

Elephants were exotic animals unknown to most Romans, despite having been used in many military campaigns, most notably by Hannibal. Furthering its historical interest, this coin depicts the now-extinct species of North African elephant.

All the comments in the first round were friendly, educational and lots of fun. I very much enjoyed it so let’s keep that going into this round also!

One small change for this round is that the polls will close after 4 days. It seems most everyone who wanted to vote in the first round was able to by about that time. If we need to make another adjustment we can do so in the semi-finals. Good luck to the players!

…and as before PLEASE post your relevant (or irrelevant) examples pile on style!

dlhill132, Andres2, Nyatii and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow !
    I'm blown away by the quality of those two coins !
    BTW, I didn't know elephants could use a flying carpet ;)

Tough choice once again : I'll take both, thanks ! would you be kind enough to wrap them for me ?

Q

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

ha! don't bother wrapping them, i'm ina hurry:)

Alegandron, Cucumbor and Curtisimo like this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Geez... big guns pulled out here! Awesome coins guys!

7. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

This is the hardest one to vote in yet, both coins are both important and beautiful!

8. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

Very nice, they are both amazing. A lot of really cool history. Just think if Carthage had prevailed instead of Rome how different history would be. The two great superpowers of the Mediterranean are at it again. Also the same coin is on wiki for Ancient Carthage except without the pellets on each side.

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are way out of my budget. Beautiful all the same on both accounts. Tough call for sure. I guess I'm third in line if either of you are giving them away, but I'll pay postage if that tilts the scales in my direction.

Mikey Zee, Cucumbor, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

WOW, WOW, WOW unbelievably fantastic coins, very close one for me to choose but I had to give my votes to Alegandron, as I can't stop looking at the beauty of that gold coin, and good price. But having just recently gone out of my way to get what I thought was the best 79/80 AD Titus bust on a Denarius along comes one that blows mine away, congrats on such a perfect coin @IdesOfMarch01. Here is my example below. 20161209_154923.jpg 20161209_154617.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Both are simply outstanding. The Titus is absolutely Best of Type, but for me, the history and beauty of that Punic stater just can't be beat.

panzerman, Paul M., stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Dang - it's on now!

panzerman, Paul M., zumbly and 2 others like this.
  13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Um, how am I supposed to choose which to vote? They're both gorgeous coins.

14. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

i've learned another thing today to from these illustrious coins, Titus had a beard.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Fun to watch

:rolleyes:

man, ya gotta love the animal coins

Well played, Gandalf

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Domitian did too. My obverse descriptions of both of their portraits describe them as 'bearded'.

D144.jpg
    Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.38g
    Rome mint, 82-83 AD
    RIC 144 (R), BMC 52, RSC 320
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IVPPITER CONSERVATOR; Eagle stg. front on thunderbolt, wings outspread, head l.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  17. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

@Alegandron wasn't that ANoobs coin? :D

Yup, both coins are magnificent!

18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Without a doubt, this is the hardest 'contest' for me to vote on...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BOTH!!!

panzerman, Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Both are amazing. Hard to decide which one is best.

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still a few hours left to vote on this great match-up featuring two of the most beautiful and interesting coins that I've seen.

The the poll will close today at 7:42 PM CST.

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Another of our great match-ups has come to a close. This was a battle of the titans with two of the most beautiful and interesting coins we've seen yet.

Results:
    @Alegandron: 85 (WINNER)
    @IdesOfMarch01: 62

The voters were impressed with Ides' flawless Titus denarius but Alegandron comes out ahead in the total score with his great EL stater. Thank you to both of you for participating in the tournament and teaching us all more about your great coins.

I am looking forward to seeing Alegandron face off with Ancient Aussie in the semifinals of the tournament. Thanks to everyone who voted.

Jwt708, Ancientnoob and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted