[Poll] #2 Bing vs #15 gsimonel (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 3, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 10, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#2 Bing)

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Value for money (#2 Bing)

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#2 Bing)

45 vote(s)
    90.0%
  4. Eye appeal (#15 gsimonel)

44 vote(s)
    88.0%
  5. Value for money (#15 gsimonel)

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#15 gsimonel)

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello and welcome to the first round of the 2017 CoinTalk Coin Imperator Tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament then you can read about it here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg

Please take a minute to appreciate the excellent coins shown below and cast your votes. A BIG thanks to both our contestants for sharing these cool examples!

#2 @Bing

Bing_Marcus Antonius Geg III.JPG

MARCUS ANTONIUS
    AR Denarius, Patrae 32-31 BC
    Dia.: 17 mm
    Wt.: 3.19 g
    Obv.: ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley, thyrsos behind prow
    Rev.: LEG III. Legionary eagle between two standards
    Ref.: RSC 27

Price: $75 (Purchased in 2017)

Why It’s Cool:
    Legio III Gallica was levied by Julius Caesar around 49 BC, for his civil war against the conservative republicans led by Pompey. The legion took part in all Julius Caesars campaigns against his enemies, including the battles of Pharsalus and Munda. Following Caesars death, III Gallica was integrated in the army of Mark Antony for his campaigns against the Parthians. They were included in the army levied by Fulvia and Lucius Antonius to oppose Octavian, but ended by surrendering in Perugia, in the winter of 41 BC.

After the battle of Actium and Antonys suicide, the III Gallica was sent again to the East, where they garrisoned the province of Syria. III Gallica was used in Gnaeus Domitius Corbulos campaign against the Parthians over the control of Armenia. Corbulos successes triggered emperor Neros paranoia of persecution and eventually the general was forced to commit suicide. After this, III Gallica is transferred to Moesia province, in the Danube border.

#15 @gsimonel

gsi_monel_Probus.JPG

Probus, A.D. 276-282
    AE Antoninianus, Serdica mint
    Obv: IMP M AVR PROBVS AVG - Probus, radiate and helmeted bust, left, holding shield and spear over right shoulder.
    Rev: S-O-LI INVICT-O - Sol in spread quadriga, holding whip.
    KA[dot]Gamma in exergue.

Price: $3 (as part of a batch of 20 coins for $60 – Recent purchase)

Why It’s Cool:
    This coin was an unrecognizable black blob--around 1/4" think--when I received it, and I cleaned it up using electrolysis. There were several other coins in the batch that cleaned up very nicely, too, but this was easily the best.

The comment section of this thread will be open for shameless lobbying, good natured discussion and for anyone to explain their voting logic if they choose.

I know that I don’t have to tell you fine, upstanding ladies and gentlemen this but remember to keep the banter civil, respectful and POSITIVE lest the mods become upset with us. Remember this is all in fun and will benefit a good cause no matter who wins :)

…and of course PLEASE post your relevant examples pile on style!

stevex6, Smojo, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Amazing cleaning result on that Probus! Nice type too.

I don't have an Antony legionary denarius yet. I want to check out the various legion numbers and see which ones are the coolest (historically), but I haven't done that yet. Sounds like III Gallica is definitely one of them! (Other suggestions are most welcome.)

panzerman, dadams and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nice legionare coin @Bing I usually see them with more wear. I lack any, but always looking for one in budget.
    I do have a different style but a Probus Sol driving quadriga
    Probus-Sol_quadriga[RIC Vb 911].jpg
    The silvering is way better in hand. Difficult coin to photogragh.

Andres2, Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 10 others like this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Awesome cleaning on that Probus Ant.:happy: Looks beautifull. Mark Anthony denari are tough to obtain, nice coin Bing;) Great writeup....

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

That is one great write up Bing, that amount of history in a few sentences, well done.

panzerman, Mikey Zee and Curtisimo like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Although @Bing's legionnary denarius has a great historical interest (to my eyes), @gsimonel did a great artwork by cleaning his Probus ant : a tough battle to say the least, both having their own merits

Good luck to both of you !
    Q

8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

One thing about these Antony galley coins that Bing is onto, they are a collectors theme on there own so many types and grades, here's mine one day I will stop using seller's pics and photograph it properly. 20160923_101722.jpg

dadams, zumbly, icerain and 8 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Probus coins would get more Interest votes if Probus had spent more time blowing his horn and less time trying to save the Empire. The coin has nice style for the period and unusual frontal chariot, KA purity mark and military bust make the coin a great deal more appealing to me than the fact that it only cost some fraction of $60. Many people try to collect the set of Legions by number but a few are also into Probus by wardrobe. He was quite the dude tramp. There are hundreds of varieties including some that sell for sky high prices (I don't have them). Few will cost $3 so this one is a keeper. I love that little shield. The one below was $25 and I though that was a good price.
    rs2890bb1529.jpg

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very tough! The Probus was a great score from an uncleaned lot and came out very well from this picture. The legionary denarius is very interesting historically.

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

This is a tough one:confused:....

The Probus Ant is an exceptional value at only $3.00 and has terrific eye-appeal, but I LOVE the 'Legio' series and all the historical context that comes with each and every one---and the details are still quite strong for this 'well traveled' type.

Both are Great buys!!!:)

ro1974, panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I think we owe a debt of gratitude to Curtisimo for starting this awesome competition, hopefully we can keep this going in future, after this initial contest ends. Maybe even get more members involved next time.

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still a few hours left to cast your vote if you haven't done so already... Thanks all! :)

panzerman likes this.
  14. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

both are beautys, to hard for me

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  15. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

indeed

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay in announcing the results. This was an interesting match-up that was fun to watch. Thank you to both of our players.

Results:
    @gsimonel: 87 (WINNER)
    @Bing: 61

Bing comes out ahead in the Interest category but gsimonel wins the Eye Appeal and Value of Money categories to carry the match. Congratulations to gsimonel. I'm looking forward to the start of round 2 tomorrow!

Draft saved Draft deleted