[Poll] #1 stevex6 vs #16 dadams (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 3, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 10, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#1 stevex6)

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  2. Value for money (#1 stevex6)

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#1 stevex6)

37 vote(s)
    72.5%
  4. Eye appeal (#16 dadams)

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  5. Value for money (#16 dadams)

42 vote(s)
    82.4%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#16 dadams)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello and welcome to the first round of the 2017 CoinTalk Coin Imperator Tournament. If you aren’t aware of the tournament then you can read about it here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...intalk-coin-imperator-tournament-2017.293824/

C_IMP_Bracket_2017.jpg

Please take a minute to appreciate the excellent coins shown below and cast your votes. A BIG thanks to both our contestants for sharing these cool examples!

#1 @stevex6

stevex6_Otac Hippo.jpg

Æ Sestertius, Otacilia Severa. Augusta,AD 244-249. Secular Games issue., 4th officina. 9th emission of Philip I, AD 248. Rome mint
    Roman Empire
    Dia.: 28 mm
    Wt.: 15.99 g
    Obverse: Draped bust right, wearing stephane
    Reverse: Hippopotamus standing right
    Reference: RIC IV 200a (Philip I); Banti 13
    Other:12h … sweet dark brown patina, with some red
    Ex Robert O. Ebert Collection

Price: $950 (purchased 2013: Inflation adjusted 2017 = $994)

Why It’s Cool:
    Continuing the tradition of Claudius and Antoninus Pius before him, the celebration of the Secular Games at the end of every century since the founding of Rome culminated during the reign of Philip I, as the city celebrated her 1,000th anniversary in AD 248. The legends on these issues almost exclusively read SAECVLARES AVGG, and feature a similar iconography from previous games, such as the she-wolf suckling the twins, the various wild beasts paraded through the amphitheater, and a cippus inscribed for the preservation of the memory of these events.

#16 @dadams

dadams_Hadrian_RIC-80.jpg

Hadrian (117-138)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, 119-122 A.D.
    Dia.: 19 mm
    Wt.: 3.33 g
    Obv.: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG - laureate bust right, drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev.: P M TR P COS III - Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia.
    Ref.: RIC 80

Cost: $85.00 (recent purchase)

Why It’s Cool:
    Publius Aelius Traianus Hadrianus inherited the throne as Trajan's adoptive heir to become the fourteenth Emperor of Rome and brought with him 20 years of stability to the empire. He is oft considered a competent, just, and lawful ruler for which he is now remembered as third among the Five Good Emperors. I'm certain, Hadrian had his faults, but I do believe he had the good of the Empire at heart. I found the present coin attractive and understood the personification of Aequitas on the reverse as his declaration to lead and administer the office of his duty in a moral and responsible way. I further found it somewhat interesting to note that Hadrian was the first of Roman Emperors to have his bearded effigy circulated on coins.

The comment section of this thread will be open for shameless lobbying, respectful discussion and for anyone to explain their voting logic if they choose.

I know that I don’t have to tell you fine, upstanding ladies and gentlemen this but remember to keep the banter civil, respectful and POSITIVE lest the mods become upset with us. Remember this is all in fun and will benefit a good cause no matter who wins :)

…and of course PLEASE post your relevant examples pile on style!

panzerman, stevex6 and dadams like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sweet coin, dadams ... you rock

4. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for that but I think I already fell in love with yours!! That is an awesome hippo!

stevex6, panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You guys have great coins/ history.....but I have to admit my prejudice. I have been trying to get a nice hippo denarius from this empress for six months now. I really love coins that depict wildlife. Probably have 100 coins with animals/ most of these are more modern.;) This is turning out to be a fantastic contest.

stevex6, Curtisimo and dadams like this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Both fantastic coins, I wish you both luck.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow ! @stevex6 starts the competition with heavy artillery : that's a sweet hippo for sure.
    The Hadrian denarius has a great style
    Another interesting face to face to follow

Q

8. Ancient Aussie

Love that Hippo steve, with it's head up high defiant stance, almost as if to say who want's to take me on.

stevex6 and Curtisimo like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks ... yah, this cool ol' hippo is definitely one of my favourite coins (I'm glad that you guys like it)

:rolleyes:

=> ummm, I love dadams' sweet Hadrian winner!!

I must admit that it's a bit *awkward* posing-down beside one of my coin-friends (I feel like a bit of a coin-bully)

=> I love ya, dadams (your coin fricken rocks!!)

emoticon cheers too.gif

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    dadams, panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Don't worry about it steve I won't feel awkward if I come up against you....:smug:

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ahahaha ... I like you, AA

I'll merely pin your throwin' arm and pull your jersey over your face and then it'll go dark!!

:rolleyes:

... coins are fun!!

Oh, but wait-wait-wait ... you might be scrapping dadams (that dawg will knock you outta your boots!!)

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In case anyone is wanting to put Steve in his place, there is a listing in RIC for a hippo aureus but the listing claiming to show one in the plates is in error since the coin shown is just a common antoninianus listed one line below. I have never seen a hippo aureus of Otacilia. RIC lists it as R3. I have been aware for years that there are antoniniani with hippo head up and down but I just noted that RIC lists both in a footnote. They do not list varieties in sestertii. Cohen gave the two separate numbers. Both are common in silver but Steve's sestertius is 'some coin'.
    ro1100bb0341.jpg ro1104b01208lg.jpg

rrdenarius, Sallent, dadams and 10 others like this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Actually, Calico lists an Otacilia Severa Aureus
    Calico # 3269 aureus 248 AD Rome Mint
    rev. SAECVLARES AVGG. Hippopotamus Right R-5

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Correct. Show me one. The British Museum has one and had it when listed by Cohen. Akerman (1834) listed the cippus aureus but not the hippo. Is there more than one or was Calico repeating the BM coin? R-5 suggests Steve is safe from being up-hippoed. :)

stevex6, dadams, Curtisimo and 2 others like this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I admire Hadrian but I LOVE hippos.:)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I figured I might have to come out ready to rumble [​IMG] but as you've seen I'm a lightweight featherweight
    and that ain't likely to happen cause I'm pretty sure I'm already down for the count [​IMG]

It's cool though because that really is an awesome fine hippo! and it just gives me an excuse to step up my game for next year. @Curtisimo mark me down for the 2018 rematch ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  17. Ancient Aussie

It's okay dadams, everyone would be chopped down by that hippo.....but I think stevex6 has fired his best shot.

Mikey Zee, Curtisimo, dadams and 2 others like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... I'm spent

Ancient Aussie, Curtisimo and dadams like this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

If you haven't cast a vote for this contest already you have a few more hours to do so. Thanks to all who decided to vote :)

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for your votes, my coin-friends

Awesome battle, dadams (I love both of our coins)

emoticon cheers too.gif

Ancient Aussie, dadams and Curtisimo like this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats boys !
    @stevex6, I'm afraid we'll have to face each other in round 2. I'm already scared of being hippoed by one of your awesome coins :)

Q

Alegandron, dadams and Ancient Aussie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted