Pocket Change Finds; Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Kevin Mader, Jan 31, 2020.

?

Should this thread be created to capture finds from change and leave CRH threads separate?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2020.
  1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
  1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I have been lucky using change machines in the past. Rather than slipping a dollar into the soda machine 5 separate times, I would slip $5 into the change machine and get an assortment of nickels, dimes and quarters. I snagged several silver coins that way and a few Buffalo nickels.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

4. Kevin Mader

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The folks at gas stations hate me. I will purposely pay 1.01 with 2 bucks. Even when I see they have a give a penny take a penny.
    I want the 99 cent's from the register.
    Haven't picked the take a penny trays lately.
    I got these three in change today from Lowes.
    A nice Maryland Quarter.
    upload_2024-1-5_17-58-17.jpeg
    upload_2024-1-5_17-58-34.jpeg
    And a burnished Jefferson.
    upload_2024-1-5_17-59-45.jpeg
    upload_2024-1-5_18-0-7.jpeg

Kevin Mader and Danomite like this.
  6. Kevin Mader

It’s interesting since the pandemic that various establishments will round up and down without asking. As a result, fewer cents to search. And fewer nickels too. If they can use dimes and quarters to give you change, they will.

7. Pickin and Grinin

They try. If there is a bunch of folks in line, I just make sure they round up. If not, I simply ask for the correct change. Unless there is a language barrier, then it's not really worth the time.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  8. meandyou4ever0

meandyou4ever0 meandyou4ever0

I've noticed that. My local gas station rounds up.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. Kevin Mader

Same here. I’m always mindful of others that may be waiting. Still, I’ve always collected cents and nickels the most so I do miss those opportunities to catch some change.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. Dustin McDaniel

Dustin McDaniel Active Member

Not sure if this is right place to post this since it's not a coin however it did come with my change and from McDonald's of all places. Nothing to special but I don't see bills this old to often in circulation. It's the right year for a silver but of course it's paper.
    When the cashier was pulling out my change from a $10 bill I noticed he paused when he pulled this $1 bill and set it to the side. I asked if I could see it and when I saw the 1963 date I asked if I could have it. He said he was going to put it in the safe where the keep all the odd stuff they get. When I asked if he had anything interesting in the safe he came back with two clad Kennedy halves.
    Anyway this bill is heavily worn but I'll keep it.
    IMG_20240106_201459.jpg IMG_20240106_201511.jpg

11. Kevin Mader

Yes, this is the right thread. I was on a streak a while back where I was catching Star Notes. I haven’t caught one in a few months.

I think the last 1963 I caught was in the late 80’s when I had a paper route. That is an early series survivor - pretty impressive!! The oldest I caught in recent months was a worn 1995. I didn’t think to post the survivor though.

12. Kevin Mader

Some change I’ve accumulated on vacation -

IMG_1714.jpeg

13. Dustin McDaniel

Got this 1940 wheat cent in my change yesterday. I can't remember where from, I went to a few different places yesterday and didn't really notice until I checked my pocket change.
    IMG_20240110_135050.jpg

14. Kevin Mader

I can usually ID the spot I snag an obvious collectible but not always. And almost never on a minor variety. They emerge out of the accumulated pot of coins.

15. Dustin McDaniel

I know what you mean, sometimes for me though depending on where I'm at I just kinda quickly look over my change and check it later because if I stand there and go through it I feel like the cashier thinks I'm double checking them for correct change.

-jeffB and Kevin Mader like this.
  16. Kevin Mader

17. Pickin and Grinin

A satin 22D the majority of these have a smooth mirror surfaces. This is the first in a while that I have found with more satin like dies.
    upload_2024-1-11_18-55-3.jpeg
    upload_2024-1-11_18-55-28.jpeg

ZoidMeister and Kevin Mader like this.
  18. Kevin Mader

I wasn’t aware. I’ll keep an eye out.

19. Kevin Mader

An accumulation of Filipino and Singaporean money.

IMG_1800.jpeg

DEA and SensibleSal66 like this.
  20. Kevin Mader

21. Kevin Mader

Draft saved Draft deleted