Please help in translating the reverse of Herennius Etruscus piece

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by johnmilton, Sep 21, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Herennius Etruceus Anton O.jpg Herennius Etruceus Anton R.jpg

The obverse reads,
    Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C “Quintus Herennius Etruscus Messius Decius noble caesar”

The reverse reads,
    PIETAS AVGVSTORVM - something about piety and augustus, but I can't crack what "AVGVSTORVM" is from any of my books or on-line seach.

The items are a whip, ladle, jug, patera and lituus (emblems of the priestly colleges) Sear 9521, Ric 143

Does anyone know what "AVGVSTORVM" means?

Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    johnmilton and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That’s the genitive plural of Augustus. It typically means “of the Augusti“ and signals possession. So the “PIETAS of the augusti.” So I guess there’s more than one Augustus being referenced here.

Pietas is untranslatable in present-day English. It’s a single Latin word for the combination of duty to family, country, and gods. That’s why I typically leave it untranslated.

5. johnmilton

So "piety" or "duty" and "security of the emperor" go together?

Most of the word phrases I have seen were better related, not I'm not grateful for the help.

Of course, neither Herennius nor his father, Trajan Decius, knew what was in store for them. They both died in battle at the hands of the Goths.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. johnmilton

So would "piety of the emperors" be the meaning of what they are saying here?

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Relatively few emperors were selected due to their Pietas. Most wanted everyone to think that the empire and everyone in it was better off because they were in power. Just as today, there might have been differing opinions on who had a good basis on Pietas and who was just trying to make us think they did. Today most of us think highly of Nerva, Antoninus Pius and Pertinax as the kind of people that we might believe in and be glad we served. Today we hear very different politicians claiming the components of Roman Pietas. They just use different words.

Kentucky, johnmilton, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  8. johnmilton

Yes, usually when a politician wears his or her religion on his or her sleeve, he or she is up to something. If they go out of their way to tell you they are honest and trustworthy, they usually aren't.

Nixon's "I am not a crook" statement comes to mind.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

If I were to "translate" the reverse image+legend of the coin, it would be that the coin celebrates the Roman virtue of pietas (duty to family, country, and gods) that accounts for Roman greatness. Accompanied by the priestly implements, the reverse seems to stress the religious elements of Roman pietas--"piety" in its contemporary English sense. The plural augustorum implies that this is a virtue that uniquely distinguishes the Emperors, as it did for Rome's legendary founder "pius Aeneas."

johnmilton likes this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice coin jm :)...

johnmilton likes this.
  11. johnmilton

Means and intentions are often more useful and literal translations. Thanks @Gavin Richardson

12. johnmilton

I think the dealer called it "Mint State." If it's not, it's darn close to it. The fact that it has a silver wash eliminates the need to get hung up on mint luster.

ominus1 likes this.
  13. johnmilton

Thanks everyone!

ominus1 likes this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin. Here's an Etruscus of mine:

Herennius Etruscus (250-251 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus, 23mm 3.0 grams

Obverse: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, Bare-headed and draped bust right

Reverse: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Herennius standing left, holding rod and spear.

Translation: "Prince of the Youth"

Reference: RIC 147c, RSC 26. Sear 9523

etruscus1.jpg

etruscus2.jpg

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Pietas means dutifulness or devotion. Augustorum means "of the emperors."

ominus1 likes this.
  16. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi @Gavin Richardson,