SECVRITAS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Securitas, as one might expect from its similarity to the English security, personifies security and confidence. She is typically portrayed seated or standing, leaning against a column. She usually holds a patera or scepter, but sometimes a cornucopiae, palm branch, globe or crown.

Coins were issued by nearly all the emperors from Otho and Vitellius to Constans and Constantius II which have for their reverse type this figure of Securitas, and present for their legend the word SECVRITAS with the addition of the words, AVGVSTI or AVGVSTORVM (security of the emperor or of the emperors); ORBIS (security of the world); PVBLICA (public security); PERPETVA (perpetual security); POPVLI ROMANI (security of the Roman people); TEMPORVM (of the Times); IMPERII (of the empire); SAECVLI (of the age); REPVBLICAE (of the republic), etc.

This common billon Antoninianus of Gallienus is typical, and proclaims perpetual security, even though his reign is best described as characterized by perpetual insecurity. Let's see your SECVRITAS coins!

Gallienus SECVRIT PERPET antoninianus.jpg
    Gallienus, AD 253-268.
    Roman billon Antoninianus, 2.68 g, 18.6 mm, 11h.
    Rome, AD 265-267.
    Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate head right.
    Rev: SECVRIT PERPET, Securitas standing left, legs crossed, holding scepter and leaning on column, H in right field.
    Refs: RIC 280K, Göbl 595a, RCV 10359; Cohen 961.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one, Roman Collector. I recently got a Gallienus Ant. with SECVRIT ORBIS - it is a HOG at almost 6 grams.

Gallienus Securitas Ant May 2018 (2).JPG
    Gallienus Securitas Ant May 2018 (5).JPG

Gallienus Æ Antoninianus
    (c. 260-268 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right / SECVRIT ORBIS, Securitas, seated left, holding sceptre, rt. hand raised to head. Officina letter VI in exergue.
    RIC (S), Rome 278; Göbl 555g.
    (5.84 grams / 22 mm)

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

here's a rarer example

D9e3c2Ewk75Ce6NbBmg49nRNnP7p85.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 307- 308
    23x26mm 5.2gm
    IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and draped bust right, seen from rear.
    SECVRIT PERPET DD NN; Securitas stg. l.; leaning l. with transverse sceptre on column, r. raised to head.
    In ex. PLC
    RIC VI Lugdunum 278

and one from London

9cFMXCp7L8xy3qH7it4GMPa2dG5EA6.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 312- 313
    23x24mm 4.1gm
    CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    SECVRITAS AVGG; Securitas standing facing, head left, legs crossed, right hand on head, left arm leaning on column; * in left field.
    In exergue PLN
    RIC VI London 277

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is my only Securitas type.
    OTHO new.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Nero, dupondius, Lugdunum mint
    rb1090fd1615.jpg

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is a later SECVRITAS:

upload_2018-6-9_17-40-41.png
    RI Julian II CE 360-363 AE1 maiorina Diademed R - SECVRITAS REIPVB 2 stars Apis Bull stg R ANT-Gamma 2 palms ANTIOCH RIC 217 LRBC 2641

8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

mSL26z8LNZr3Gt6Q9WqKfdT7Ps4Xa5 (1) (1).jpg

Securitas is one cool deity, always shill and taking things easy as she relaxes next to her column.

9. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I have a web site "SECVRITAS: The real meaning"

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/interesting/SECVRITAS.html

I wrote it after the late Ted Buttrey gave me a Latin lesson on the type.

SECVRITORBIS.jpeg
    A denarius of Caracalla, Roman emperor (198-217), originally under his father (Septimius Severus, 193-211 AD).
    SECVRIT ORBIS (security of the world)
    A languid, care-free, Securitas seated leaning back, right. She holds a vertical scepter and behind and to the right there is a lighted and garlanded altar.
    Silver. 18 mm. 3.61 grams.
    Struck 198-199 at Rome.
    BMC V (SS and Caracalla) 118.

The types hint that the modern "security" interpretation was more appropriate in the fourth century, while earlier the meaning was closer to "care-free" which the etymology suggests. See the site for more.

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Lot - Otho2.jpg OTHO
    AR Denarius. 3.19g, 17.6mm. Rome mint, 15 Jan to mid-April AD 69. RIC I (second edition) Otho 8 (R2); Sear 2161. O: IMP M OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P, bare head right. R: SECVRITAS P R, Securitas, draped, standing left, holding wreath in right hand and sceptre in left.
    Notes: Same reverse die as S141 (Bologna museum) in Jyrki Muono's die study of Otho denarii, with an obverse die unknown to him but close to that of the Bologna coin and in his opinion "undoubtedly cut by the same engraver".

Constantius II - Securitas Rare 2459.jpg CONSTANTIUS II, as Caesar
    AE4. 1.28g, 15.4mm. Rome mint, AD 337. RIC Rome VII 403 (R5). O: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: SECVRI-TAS REIPVB, Securitas standing facing, looking right, leaning on column, legs crossed, holding sceptre; R leaf S in exergue.
    Notes: Scarce type, and very rare with Constantius as Caesar.

gogili1977, TIF, randygeki and 7 others like this.
  11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

My first coin ever bought....Gratian Securitas Gratian.jpg

gogili1977, TIF, randygeki and 7 others like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

13. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

When I purchased the coin below I did some research on Secvritas. I started by looking at the etymology of security, what I found was very revealing of Roman culture. The prefix se means to free or to separate as in segregate, seclude, secede. While cura means something like concern or care as in accurate (done with care) or curious. So security for Romans literally meant to be separated from their concerns, which I found to be a very insightful meaning.

Antoninus Pius AE Sestertius with Securitas seated left RIC967
    antoninus_securitas.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Being freed from cares by having a just and stable government might seem a situation worth issuing a coin to commemorate. Perhaps Nero and Otho are not exactly what we have in mind but truth in politics has never been a prime concern. The use of the type with a young ruler or after a time of civil war would seem more appropriate suggesting that Rome was being cared for and in good hands for the future.

TIF and Roman Collector like this.
  15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Gordian III - SECVRITAS PERPETVA
    072-13A.jpg 072-13B.jpg
    Gallienus - SECVRIT PERPET
    090-02A.jpg 090-02B.jpg
    Probus - SECVRIT PERP
    112-33A.jpg 112-33B.jpg

maridvnvm, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted