Platinum?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by FryDaddyJr, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I have thought for the last few years that since the down turn in the market and with high oil cost the auto industry has tried to eliminate it from converters or at a min become more efficient in design. This has placed pressure on the metal. I'm not sure if it will bounce back or not. I only own a couple of tenth ounce eagles and almost bought another today. I rarely see them in any of my local shows and believe that those who own them are into them for a lot more than what they are going for now and are choosing to hold them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think the lower prices are a part of the reason that you see so few for sale. Also, the mintages are lower than gold Eagles and the demand is also lower (there is still a bit of a stigma that platinum looks too much like silver while gold stands apart-and everyone, even non-collectors, tend to know that gold is valuable).

By the way, 125 isn't a bad price for 1/10 bullion platinum eagles. The average ebay price is in the 135-145 range. If they were proofs, then 125 is a pretty good price.

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

It wasn't a proof. I really am thinking about selling an ounce of gold and trying to put together a date set of the 1/10 oz coins.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

If you want a challenge, try the proofs! The cool thing about them is that the design changed every year while the bullion stayed the same. The bullion set would be cheaper and it doesn't really have key dates (while for the proofs the 2004 and 2008 can get quite pricey).

6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I bet it would look good. I was liking the cheaper option but I'll have to check out the proofs. I sure wish I knew where to speculate with coins right now.

ddddd likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

So would I! A few years back I picked up a proof 2004 1/10 in NGC PF 69. It hasn't gone up, so my speculation wasn't great. It is a really nice design, so I'm still glad I have it.

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Well if you figure it out let me know.

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

A lot of guys at my coin club were buying platinum the last year. Looks like it hasn't paid off yet. I think I just want an ounce and maybe an ounce of palladium for the PM collection.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I sold my one and only 2000 1oz., for around $1800 back when it was on a tear up to over $2000 (topped out at over $2200 If memory serves). Liked the reverse changes on the proofs, but too dang expensive to collect. At least for me.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So the impression I am getting in this thread is that a Platinum Coin is more for collecting/Numismatics than bullion investing. It's not as liquid and common as gold and silver.

13. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

That's my assumption. For collectors with deep pockets.

14. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I find them liquid, but as flat as the metal has been recently you can never gain the premium back let alone enough profit to justify the time and resources.

15. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Platinum and PGMs in general are definitely liquid. Depending on what you are expecting back on the selling side, you might be disappointed with recouping premiums. But as of right now, there are plenty of people that want it. That might be different in 30 years when Who Killed The Catalytic Converter is a trending documentary.

Platinum eagles seem to be more of a collectable than other PGM bullion coins, especially the fractionals. They are also real lookers in my opinion. Liberty's RBF is fantastic! I have a couple just because I like them. I will probably get one of those palladium eagles when they come out too. But I have no long term expectations in PGM values. I would definitely not touch PGM bars. Well known established coins only...

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Palladium is the diamond in the rough ! though to my knowledge you can
    Only get the coin forms from Russia or Canada, but it does have plenty of
    Bang for the buck !!

17. mpcusa

The most popular by a wide margin has to be the South African (Gold) Krugerrand
    Foe some many reasons, i cant mention !!

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

19. mpcusa

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Past history is the past. In the future it could go up or down. I think JM Bullion might have too many in stock and is trying to clear some out.

I just posted the deal since some members were interested in seeing what kind of premiums to expect when buying platinum.

Tater likes this.
  21. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Platinum is just overpriced silver. I've never cared for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted