Platinum?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by autograf, Jul 6, 2015.

1. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

I reached out to Provident today and asked them when they would be getting any private mint platinum in. I got a canned answer. Who knows what's going on out there. If there is such a glut, do the low cost dealers not want to try and move it? Plenty of expensive platinum out there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

Someday I hope this "glut" is realized and I can add some platinum to my collection. I refuse to pay 40+% markup for an Eagle.

SD51555 and ThinnPikkins like this.
  4. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

That's exactly right. Spot is irrelevant if the product isn't available or the markup is through the ceiling tiles.

5. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Blame us. My wife has a "dirty diesel" TDI. Can't wait to see what the outcome is. And it's due for smog in January. Will be interesting.

Getting 45mpg on the highway just isn't good enough for the EPA I guess.

6. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

I had a TDI Jetta wagon for 3 years. I liked the car but hated the service at the dealership. It was under warranty when I would take it in for service but they always made me feel like I was an inconvenience. Got rid of it 2 years ago and now I feel lucky. I guess I should change my mood.

7. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

Gold, Silver, Lead and brass. :)

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

9. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

I want to get some platinum put even on APMEX the 1/4 oz platinum eagle is almost $100 over spot. And I cant really afford a 1 oz Platinum Eagle.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  10. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

1/4 oz Platinum Eagle (APMEX): Its $90.25 over spot via check/wire. And $102.95 over spot for CC/Paypal.

11. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

$75 over spot via check/wire for the 1/10 oz platinum eagle. And $81.64 over spot via CC/Paypal.

They're really making it harder for me to want/like Platinum even when its at $910.00 an oz (Ask)

12. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

Sorry one more post lol.... Its $360 over spot via check/wire for a 1 oz Platinum Eagle, and $410.80 over spot via CC/Paypal. Are they nuts!!!!

13. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

They are not nuts for asking that price. Buyers are nuts for paying $400 over (my opinion).

14. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I bet they bought the platinum at a higher price than what it's worth today. They're trying to recoup their cost at the expense of the buyer!! Just my opinion!! [emoji4]

15. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

My local dealers within a 10-20 mile radius never really carry fractional gold/platinum eagles, maple leafs etc. So online is really the only place I can go for that type. And I want some Platinum but not at those prices.

16. autograf

autograf Member

My LCS was selling 1/4's in the $285 range when it was north of $1050. Full ounce for $1120 not including 6% tax. I need to check next week when I get off vacation......Disney.....coulda bought 3-4 oz or more for this vacation......

17. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

APMEX does have some Canadian Platinum Maple Leafs for a much more reasonable price tag.

18. autograf

autograf Member

$1024 today and climbing. What's up?

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Platinum, apparently.

20. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Don't try to make sense of it. I wasted a lot of time trying myself.

21. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Things like this somewhat irritate me. Restaurants and businesses are legally allowed to refuse service to anyone. The bakery chose to make it a civil liberties issue by stating why they refused the couple service. All they had to say was "no, we won't service you." Even if they stated why they didn't want to do the cake, as long as they can establish a religious reason behind the refusal, I think the freedom to practice religion should be considered into any decisions.

What I really thought was dumb as the UK court saying the baker had to make a cake with the phrase "Support Gay Rights." I don't think the Courts should have authority to tell individuals what to believe.

But, that is what it is. As for platinum, a big part of the glut is due to the higher consumption of PMG elements. Since companies are paying tons for PMG and REMG elements, platinum, which is a bi-product of PMG mining, will see an increase in supply. It's still a limited metal and too rare to be considered a "precious metal" for most purposes.

Draft saved Draft deleted