Platinum????

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Blugrassboy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Blugrassboy

Blugrassboy New Member

hello again!! i am looking at some platinum coins on ebay. they are the fifty statehood quarters, but they say platinum on them. is this a mint issue, or made "aftermarket?" i would like to buy the collections, but im not sure about this "platinum." thanks again for helping the noob!! -blu

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D I'm pretty sure that they are just plated platinum. Iknow they don't make platinum state quarters. That would be neat, but unfortunatly, they don't. They are probably just plated. Take care.

Phoenix :cool:

4. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!!! Im sure the mint didnt make any platinum statehood quarters. Therefore, they would have to have been made at a "private" mint such as the Franklin mint. Can I ask the current bid or BIN price?

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Definately platinum plated scam that I hear.

6. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

They will be plated in platinum... that too a very negligible amount. No mint would be allowed to make exact replica state quarters in another metal in the exact same size. Their actual worth... 25 cents a coin!
    Technically not a scam, but only worth buying if you are into that sort of privately decorated versions of circulating coins.

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The thing is, if I'm not mistaken, plating technology has got down to the levels of 0.001 microns or so according to my dad who works in various metal plating. Furthermore, those aren't often 100% pure platinum plating but often some cheaper alloy plating like palladium-platinum plating so the cost of plating such quarters is LOW LOW LOW.

Now, let me ask, how much are they asking for such plated quarters??? 5 for 19.95? 5 for 29.95??? Plating each of them shouldn't' cost them a dollar so the rest is profit for them.

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] to CoinTalk blu.

If you read this description carefully you will see that they have taken genuine State Quarters, "layered" them in platinum (whatever that means - probably a very cheap method of plating with minimal platinum) and sold to people who know little or nothing about coin collecting and think they are getting something "special". [​IMG]

IMHO this is 20' pole territory - you know, the one to use on stuff you wouldn't touch with a 10-footer. ;)

9. Rono

Rono Senior Member

quartermania

Howdy,

I believe that Quartermania (off of TV) has been running this scam. They sell you the P & D mint statehood quarters with plating variations - gold, platinum. The amount of plating is a microscopic amount.

Obviously, someone bit on their TV add and is trying to dump them to you.

avoid,

rono

10. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I wouldn't be surprised if the TV hucksters themselves aren't the ones posting some of the 46 current listings for these damaged coins - some of them with "Certificates of Authenticity". [​IMG]

11. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Those platinum plated quarters are only worth about a quarter each, so I woudn't buy them. There is really no long-term collector value because they have actually been altered.

12. Blugrassboy

Blugrassboy New Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110105976079&rd=1&rd=1

the auction already ended, and i am so glad i have u guys!! Cent dime hit the nail on the head, just the answer i was looking for....i wanted to buy the complete collection of quarters, should have known i wasnt going to get them that cheap!! ..thanks again to all of u for helping me out.....glad i let them pass!! i am trying to get into collecting, just a rookie.....but again, i have u guys in my corner, so it gives alot of confidence in bidding on the right item!!

13. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

Although it is rather retarded to plate a quarter in silver/platinum and then sell it (They all look the same anyways!)... the only type of these "decorated"/"altered" coins that ever looked half decent to me are the Silver Eagles with the Gold hologram on it (I saw an actual one once - pretty!)
    definately not worth $25 but maybe if I could find one at bullion cost!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Sided-GOLD-HO...goryZ527QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One other thing about about those silver, gold and platinum plated quarters. Consumers Union tested those things to see just how much precious metal was on them. The silver plated quarter had about a tenth of a cent in silver, the gold was about one cent in gold, and the platinum was ZERO. They could detect NO platinum in the plating on the coin.

15. TommyNumis

TommyNumis New Member

Blugrassboy,

If you want a complete set of statehood quarters, mintproducts.com sells a complete set of P&D mints for $43.

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The platinum quarters have no numismatic value, but they may have some collector's value. Everything is collectible as long as there are people who want it.

Draft saved Draft deleted