Platinum: why .9995?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jul 6, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Looking for some information:

1. Why is most "pure" platinum sold in bullion form only .9995 fine?

2. What is the balance? Is it other platinum group metals?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Beats me

4. Cheech9712

Good question

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is most likely the .0005 is the other the other members of the platinum group iridium, osmium, palladium, and rhodium, as they have to use a chemical approach to the refining ( although there are some electrochemical methods which are available). In parts of the world jewelers consider the mix of the platinum group to be "platinum" also. So they can advertise and sell 100% platinum rings, etc. Since gold can be refined much more readily, and already have a kt. rating by percentage you can expect correct %.
    But .999% gold or platinum can be scratched and bent very easily.

I have searched looking for info on .9995 Platinum being only Platinum metals. or if the others of the platinum family also count as "platinum". Let me know if someone besides a jeweler or coin dealer says so :) Jim

medoraman and QuintupleSovereign like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Here's a cool article on platinum impurities. It seems to indicate that platinum is commonly refined to only 200ppm contaminants (.9998). It looks like other Pt-group metals are considered "not bothersome" contaminants, whereas iron, silicon and other elements cause problems in specific applications.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Maybe I will just buy jewelers platinum and call it 100% if I want some. I doubt the mints worry about it. I do doubt the mint uses the equipment the article used to determine that .9998. Hmmm wonder if the catalytic converter platinum that is salvaged is analyzed closely....and who does the mints buy theirs from?

Seems more peaceful tonight ( so far) :)

midas1 likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had a PT ring and it surprised me how easily it scratched.

Still like the metal though. Its like "fancy silver" and does not monopolize so much room in the sdb.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I guess they could have just put ".999 fine" on them and been done, which is considered pure. I don't recall seeing anything with 4-9s for PT - not even from the Canucks.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The remaining is Uranium. It allows the coin to shine better, especially in the dark. :)

Oldhoopster likes this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have a 1oz APE and PLatinum Ring. Fun to have but the ring as someone brought up scratches pretty easily. My wife's ring is platinum too but somehow she avoids the scratches. I think the other metals in the PT are to make it more sturdy so it holds up well. That's my uninformed guess.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's more than .999 so does it really matter what the other .0005 is?

midas1 likes this.
  13. Platinumheavy

Platinumheavy New Member

In high school math, .0005 can be rounded up to 1.000.
    I guess the question ultimately boils down to - why can't they make the platinum coins .9999?
    Technological limitation? Does it make it too expensive?
    Probably is my best guess.

14. Cheech9712

WHAT!!!!!!! Your kidding right.

15. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"In high school math, .0005 can be rounded up to 1.000."

???

Etcherman and GoOoldmember like this.
  16. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Also, it'll keep you warm on those cold winter nights.
    It's best to put it in the crotch area for the best
    results!

17. Platinumheavy

Platinumheavy New Member

Sorry. That rushed out of me. I meant to say; back in high school (grades 10 - 11, early eighties in Toronto) they taught me that its ok for numbers like 0.9995 to be rounded up to 1.000 when performing calculations for math and science.

midas1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted