Platinum Eagles: Great price, no inventory

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SD51555, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

I'm in the hunt to pick up some more 1/2 oz eagles now that prices have fallen further. Both Apmex and Provident are completely out of 1/2's and have almost nothing in one ounce eagles.

I'm trying to trade in my apmex branded gold rounds for 1/2 oz plat eagles, and I'm striking out this week.

Jaredbd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I am annoyed by this also.
    Provident does have a very nice price on Pd, though.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

MCM had a few a few days ago but I have not checked lately. This is a country wide problem.

Jaredbd likes this.
  5. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a joke. Guy went into the butcher store looking for steak. When he saw the price he complained saying that the store across the street was selling it for $1 lower per pound. The butcher asked why the customer didn't buy across the street, and the customer said that he would have but they were out.

The butcher replied, "Well, when I'm out I sell it for $2 lower per pound."

no_cents, MitchBailey and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Well when the U.S. mint no longer mints the platinum eagles in any size except 1 oz there's likely to be supply issues for the fractional issues. I also think the mint would probably hold back from releasing 1 oz platinum bullion eagles that it probably bought the planchets for at a much higher cost than it can sell for currently as the price is regulated by law.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Part of the problem also lies with U.S. sanctions on Russia, which is where the bulk of Platinum comes from.

8. tommyc03 likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Actually, most palladium comes from Russia, most platinum comes from South Africa.

My local bullion guy has plenty of platinum eagles in stock, for a decent price. He actually has some half ounce palladium ballerinas I am thinking of picking up.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Well I pulled the trigger today. I traded four 1/2 oz apmex gold rounds for 3 half-oz platinum american eagles, two 10 oz silver bars and a small cash check. Not the perfect trade I was holding out for, but I wanted to move while the inventory was there.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I stand corrected, thought I had heard that awhile ago. Once you turn 60 it's all about CRS. Thanks.

12. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Apmex has widened their margin on 1/2 oz plat eagles again. They're up to $80 over ask for one now. I remember when they were $50 over. But hey, that's supply and demand. Provident has been out for a while again.

Draft saved Draft deleted