Featured Philip II King of Macedon, The Quick and the Dead

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Here's a virtual tray of Philip, Alexander and the Diadochi. Ptolemy, Seleucus, Lysimachus and Kassander.
    Macedonian Kings Composite.jpg

Kirkuk, Spargrodan, PeteB and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Like Father, Like Son

Higgledy-Piggledy
    Philip of Macedon
    Formed up the phalanx and
    Harried the Greeks;
    Murdered, he missed out on
    Mesopotamia,
    So, it's his son of whom
    All the world speaks.

How about this one?

[​IMG]
    Philip II of Macedon
    AE 6.30 gm; 18.6 mm
    Obv: Diademed head of Apollo, r.
    Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ, youth on horseback r.; thunderbolt below
    Refs: Bellinger 43; SNG ANS 880 ff.

Kirkuk, Johndakerftw, Nemo and 3 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...ah, as soon as i spotted Phillip ll 'Greek' i thought of you @Alegandron :D...here's my bronze 'tetra' drachm of ole Phillip 2...(Greek, of course ^^)(too tight of tets, but i got 4 drachms :p) phillip ll  domitian ass. denarius 002.JPG phillip ll  domitian ass. denarius 003.JPG

Johndakerftw, Nemo, Bing and 2 others like this.
  5. Kirkuk

Kirkuk New Member

I am now the newly frustrated coin-parent of the whopper below, where I made a rash judgment on bidding on something I perhaps shouldn't, thinking in the back of my head that it would be a valuable experience to learn how to spot fakes. In any case, I could not find any instances of such a coin in the standard references (I searched the standard Ryder reference for silver coins struck by Philip II with Apollo on obverse and biga on the reverse with PHILIPOU underneath). I would say that the coin appears to be a drachma/denarius-sized version of a Philip II Apollo (obverse) / biga (chariot pulled by two horses) (reverse), which was originally AU, not AR (wrong metal) stater (wrong denomination) weighing in at 3.86 grams vs. approx. 8.1 grams (wrong weight) for the genuine version. The flan appears to have been created using a casting-like process as there is evidence of a tell-tale line around the edge. The surface of the coin has parallel striations in some places, indicating that the flan was filed. Putting these bits of evidence together, my preliminary conclusion is that the coin is a very artful forgery!
    Let me know your thoughts on the pictures below.

Attached Files:

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The devices are too "fuzzy" and with all the evidence you point to, I would say that awful four letter word: F A K E

Kirkuk likes this.
  7. Kirkuk

Kirkuk New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted