Featured Philip II King of Macedon, The Quick and the Dead

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

PhilipII.jpg
    Philip II Tetradrachm Lifetime Issue
    Philip II Tetradrachm Lifetime Issue Amphipolis Mint, 355-349/8.
    O: Laureate head of Zeus to right.
    R: ΦΙΛΙΠ ΠΟΥ Philip II, wearing kausia and chlamys and raising his right hand in salute, riding to left; horizontal club below belly.
    - Le Rider 96-108

The reverse is a representation of the King’s arrival on his accession to the throne, dressed in traditional Macedonian garb.

Early posthumous issue:
    PhilipAplustre Tet b.jpg
    Silver Tetradrachm, Amphipolis mint. Early posthumous issue, struck under Kassander.
    O: Zeus right wearing laurel wreath with berries.
    R: Φ I Λ I Π - Π OY (Of Philip) Naked youth on horse prancing right holding long palm branch and reins; aplustre below; Γ under foreleg.
    -Rider pl. 46, 18; SNG ANS 740. Light golden toning.

Plutarch (Alex., 3)
    "To Philip, however, who had just taken Potidaea, there came three messages at the same time: the first that Parmenio had conquered the Illyrians in a great battle, the second that his race-horse had won a victory at the Olympic games, while a third announced the birth of Alexander. These things delighted him, of course, and the seers raised his spirits still higher by declaring that the son whose birth coincided with three victories would be always victorious."

Plutarch (Alex., 4.10)
    "...and (Philip) took care to have the victories of his chariots at Olympia engraved upon his coins..."

The reverse-types of Philip’s coins are nearly all agonistic, and refer either to the games celebrated by him at Dium in honour of the Olympian Zeus (Müller, Mon. d'Alex., pp. II and 344), or, preferably, to the great Olympian games where his chariots were victorious. We have, indeed, the direct assertion of Plutarch (Alex., c. 4) in favour of the latter hypothesis, τας εν ‘Ολυμπια νικας των αρματων εγχαραττων τοις νομισμασιν. Philip was also successful at Olympia with the race-horse (ιππω κελητι νενικηκέναι; Plut., Alex., 3), a victory of which he perpetuated the memory on his tetradrachms. The horseman with kausia and chlamys is less certainly agonistic, and may (perhaps with a play upon his name) represent the king himself as a typical Macedonian ιππευς. Philip’s coins were struck at many mints in various parts of his empire. For the various mint-marks which they bear see Müller’s Num. d'Alex. le Grand, the local attributions in which are, however, to be accepted with great caution. They continued to circulate in Europe long after his death, and the Gauls, when they invaded and pillaged Greece, took vast numbers of them back into their own land, where they long continued to serve as models for the native currency of Gaul and Britain. (Historia Numorum, Barclay V. Head, 1887)

It is clear that, trying hard to show off, to pass and ultimately to impose his Greek character, Philip was especially interested in the aesthetic aspect of his coins and also in the propaganda and psychological effects they would have
    on the rest of the Greek world, and especially on "those sarcastic, democratic Athenians" and on "the more barbarian" people than himself...

Demosthenes (19, 308)
    "And as for Philip,—why, good Heavens, he was a Greek of the Greeks, the finest orator and the most thorough—going friend of Athens you could find in the whole world. And yet there were some queer, ill-conditioned fellows in Athens who did not blush to abuse him, and even to call him a barbarian! "

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous coins, @Nemo ! And, great recap!

PHILIP II

Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd Le Rider 102.JPG
    Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd Le Rider 102

MAKEDON Philip II 1-5th Stater Apollo head r - Horseman r trident below as S6691.JPG
    MAKEDON Philip II 1/5th Stater Apollo head r - Horseman r trident below as S6691

Philip II book.JPG

JulesUK, ominus1, TheRed and 14 others like this.
  4. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Amazing looking tetradrachms! I always enjoyed the lifetime issue more than the posthumous, Philip II riding with his kausia looks really cool.

I just got a meager 1/5 stater:
    [​IMG]
    Philip II (359-336 BC). AR Fifth Tetradrachm. Posthumous issue by Philip III Arrhidaios (323-317 BC) in the types of Philip II. Amphipolis mint. Struck under Polyperchon, circa 318-317 BC.
    Obverse:
    Head of Apollo right, wearing tainia.
    Reverse: ΦIΛIΠΠOY, Horseman riding right; monogram below.
    Reference: Le Rider pl. 45, 7-9; Troxell, Studies, Group 7, 366-8; SNG ANS 650-7.

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Great Philips @Alegandron, they're both excellent. Any other Kings of Macedon examples out there?

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

The Athenians called Philip a barbarian because he spoke a greek dialect and drunk his wine straight without diluting it with water.

P1180305.JPG

ominus1, TheRed, Johndakerftw and 8 others like this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Nice stater @Pavlos. Here's mine:
    Kassander.jpg
    Kassander. As regent, 317-305 BC, or King, 305-297 BC. AR 1/5 Tetradrachm. In the name and types of Philip II. Uncertain Macedonian mint (Amphipolis?). Head of Apollo right / Horseman riding right; club below. Le Rider pl. 48, 10-2; SNG ANS 822-6

ominus1, TheRed, PeteB and 10 others like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Nice bronzes @Bing, @Andres2
    I just finished listening to the Great Courses "Alexander the Great and the Macedonian Empire" by Prof Harl and I highly recommend it. It's motivated me to start photographing more of my Greeks.

Orfew likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Argead Dynasty - Makedon Basileus collection - BEFORE Phillip II

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON
    Alexander I 498-454 BCE
    AR Obol 10mm 0.75g
    Horse - Quadripartite incuse square
    SNG ANS 32 Rare
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_I_of_Macedon

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON
    Perdikkos II 454-413 BCE
    AR heavy tetrobol 2.4g 15mm 12h mint 437-431 BC
    horseman holding two spears prancing
    Forepart Lion in incuse square
    Raymond 184ff SNG ANS 47ff
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perdiccas_II_of_Macedon

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON
    Amyntas II 395-393 BCE
    Æ12, Dichalkon 2.0g, 12h; Aigai or Pella mint.
    Obv.: Head of Pan right.
    Rev.: Forepart of wolf chewing on bone.
    Ref: Westermark, Remarks, 2; SNG Alpha Bank 179-80.
    Very Rare.
    Ex: @John Anthony
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyntas_II_of_Macedon

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON
    Amyntas III 393-369 BCE
    GRANDFATHER of Alexander III the Great
    AE 17mm, 3.2g
    Obv: Head of Herakles r, wearing lion skin
    Rev: AMUNTA, Eagle devouring serpant
    Ref: SNG ANS 100ff
    Ex: @Blake Davis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyntas_III_of_Macedon

Blake Davis, ominus1, TheRed and 9 others like this.
  11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Great Tetradrachm's @Nemo - I don't have one to share, but I do have this favorite bronze with a glossy green patina that I find challenging to photograph.
    Philipp II.jpg
    Macedonian Kingdom, Philip II, 359-336 BC, AE unit (17.5 mm, 7.41g)
    Obv: Head of Apollo right, wearing tainia (headband)
    Rev: ΦIΛIΠΠOY, youth on horseback riding right; thunderbolt (?) below

ominus1, TheRed, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Alexander.jpg
    Alexander III Lifetime Tetradrachm
    KINGS OF MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’, 336-323 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 25 mm, 17.13 g, 12 h), Tarsos, struck under Balakros or Menes, circa 333-327.
    O: Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress.
    R: AΛEΞANΔPOY Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right.
    - Price 2999. A rare early and unusual issue from Tarsos, "Officina B", bearing no symbol.
    AlexanderSardesDrachm.jpg
    Alexander III Lifetime Drachm
    Alexander III ‘the Great’ AR Drachm (18mm 4.24g) Sardes mint. Lifetime issue, circa 334/25-323 BC.
    O: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin R: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; torch in left field, monogram below throne. Price 2567.

ominus1, TheRed, Sulla80 and 6 others like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Beautiful new tet, @Nemo!!

Fantastic Kassander 1/5th tet too :)
    :joyful::joyful:

I've shown my Philip II tet dozens of times but I'll happily show it again :)

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Philip II. 356-336 BCE
    AR tetradrachm. 24mm, 14.20 gm, 12h
    Pella, 342-336 BCE
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right
    Rev: ΦIΛIΠ-ΠOY, youth, holding palm and reins, on horseback right, thunderbolt below, N in exergue
    Ref: Le Rider 222-306. SNG ANS 385-95
    ex Colosseo Collection

Alegandron, ominus1, TheRed and 9 others like this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Always nice to see such a beautiful example @TIF

TIF likes this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thats so cool

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Philip II Stater Pella Minted during reign of Alexander III Le Rider 80 Symbol Thunderbolt philipII-15.jpg 336-328 B.C. 8.61 grms 23 mm

PeteB, Nemo, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  17. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Here's mine from the same period Philip.jpg

ominus1, PeteB, Nemo and 6 others like this.
  18. Alegandron

More importantly, he was FATHER to Philip II, who was the GREATER man.

Philip II was a brilliant man. He rebuilt a shattered kingdom, innovatively rebuilt an Army and a Cavalry, secured mines for financing, ensured brilliant people and generals within his ranks, conquered most of Greece into his Hegemon, and developed a plan and strategy to invade and conquer Persia. He also loved, trained, educated, and tutored his son as a successor. Philip II was assassinated before his time.

Alexander INHERITED all this incredible infrastructure, and implemented Philip’s vision. Albeit, brilliantly, as his father would had.

LIFETIME issue of Alexander after conquering Persia

[​IMG]
    BABALONIA, Babylon
    AR Tetradrachm / Stater (or Dishekel)
    Minted ca. 323-328 B.C.
    24 mm, 16.3g
    Obv: Ba’al seated left holding scepter
    Rev: Lion walking left, control mark Г above. (Control mark was minted during Alexander III Lifetime)
    Ref: Ref: BMC Arabia XXII no.1

ominus1, Johndakerftw, PeteB and 6 others like this.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

@Alegandron, I don't think Alexander would agree with you.

It reminds me of the nice family dinner they were enjoying when Philip decided to impale Alexander. After falling on his face, Alexander remarked,"Here is the man who was making ready to cross from Europe to Asia, and who cannot even cross from one table to another without losing his balance!" :rolleyes:

In any case, while Philip was a brilliant king, what Alexander accomplished was far greater than anything Philip could have even imagined.

Recall Octavian's observation as he paid his respect to Alexander by placing a golden diadem upon his head and flowers on his body. When asked if he would like to see the body of Ptolemy, he replied that he came to see a king, not corpses.

PeteB and Alegandron like this.
  20. Alegandron

No argument, I understand and am aware of each of those passages. However, also note that Alexander and Philip "made up" after those incidences, and Philip continued on to give Alexander more and more control and responsibilities.

As known, the Victors write the History. Had Philip not created these major reforms and fetes for Makedon, I wonder how far Alexander may had gone in History?

All that aside, I always understand that all great people did not accomplish on their own. There were always resources that helped enable that person to incredibly excell.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Nemo likes this.
  21. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Well said!

Draft saved Draft deleted