Perth Mint & Other Foreign Mints: Beautiful Coins ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GoldFinger1969, Dec 11, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I was looking at the silver and gold coins from the Perth Mint -- they are really beautiful coins, both raw and graded. The Proof coins especially look nice.

I have a few stray Pandas, Libertads, and Maple Leafs....anybody have any of the Perth Mint offerings the last few years ?

Are there any other foreign mints that produce really beautiful silver or gold coins worth having in one's collection ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

England and Canada have some but you'll pay a stiff premium on gold. France has some really nice ones but don't seem to be very popular if you went to sell.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

I should have mentioned that they seem to put their national icons or animals in High Relief quite often, too. Annual or near-annual release it seems, whereas for the U.S. it's a special issue (2009 UHR, 2015 Liberty, etc.).

5. GoldFinger1969

How are the FUN dealers in having a diverse array of slabbed and unslabbed foreign bullion coins from other countries' mints?

6. baseball21

Not sure about fun but eBay and Great Collections have a ton of them with lots of variety especially for Australia/Canada/GB/Mexico

7. GoldFinger1969

Yes, I have seen them. I have bought some silvers over the years, but if I am going to spend 50x that much on gold I would like to see it in hand to make sure I like how it looks.

8. baseball21

Even though that is preferable, you're going to end up limiting yourself that way. The biggest selection by far is on eBay and GC. Some world dealers will carry some of the modern world stuff, but most of the ones that do it'll be rather limited especially at a show.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Perth Mint makes some nice coins. Even the bullion coins are usually of high quality. Milk spots can still be an issue, but it’s a bit less common than with something like Canadian Maples.

The Lunar Series, Kookaburras, and Koalas are some of my favorites.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

At FUN you should see plenty of foreign bullion (especially if ModernCoinMart is there). Take a look at the items there if you want to see in hand but also compare to online stores to see where you can get the best price.

11. GoldFinger1969

Agreed....I have some of those, but I really like the Wedge-Tailed Eagle silver and golds.

ddddd likes this.
  12. GoldFinger1969

Anybody know why the Australia Wedge-Tailed Eagle silver HR coin is in a very thick slab ?

13. baseball21

High Relief.

14. GoldFinger1969

Really....it doesn't APPEAR to need it. Thanks.

I take it that the graded 2009 UHRs I've seen and am considering buying are also in a thick slab ? You couldn't tell from the internet. I have a raw 2009 UHR but didn't know about these thick slabs for UHR or HR coins.

15. baseball21

I'm pretty sure those are higher than the US 09 ones, and honestly they may have fit in a normal slab but might just have the thicker one either by request or just to make sure there's enough room.

Draft saved Draft deleted