Perth Mint lunar series mintage confusion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Teh King of Ants, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Looking the mintage numbers for the kilo uncirculated BU i notice the numbers go up even a few years later when the coins were initially minted. Where do the additional coins go? Older coins cant be found such as 2018 year of the dog kilo.

#1 typically mints stop producing current year coin so they can produce the next year design. This does not seem to be the case since I noticed the numbers increasing on the older releases indicating the mint is still making them.

#2 price premiums always seem to go up the next year even if its a small increase. They are initially priced at very reasonable spot to premium. But why would prices go up on the older coin if they are being churned out everg year regardless

#3 supply issues, 2018 year of the dog kilo is nowhere to be found anymore. Even on ebay. I tried all the known reputable dealers. To my surprise even the APMEX buyback price is not far from my initial purchase price. This makes no sense if it is still being minted. Its not 2019 yet so whats going on? I did purchase a 2019 kilo year of the pig.

These Kilo coins come up on special sometimes and its priced at close to minted bullion bar and you are getting a great looking NCLT coin. I will snap them up when the specials are out. Sometimes you can buy on sale and see them on ebay 60-80 more the same day and they are selling there as well the same day.

I love these coins and bought 2 kilo dog coins on sale a few weeks ago they are impressive looking bullion but the whole mintage and how this coin is stocked is a big mystery.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

The policy for the Lunar Kilo coins (series 2) was that there would be no mintage limit and that Perth can continue to issue more (of any year-going back to the first coin, the Mouse) until the entire series ends in 2019. That is why you see the mintages for prior years still going up. However, it requires a large enough order (I’m not sure how much exactly) for Perth to go back to a prior year. For that reason, many of the mintages are not seeing large increases (and thus the supply is not increasing).

Note this is only for Series 2 Kilo Lunars. The 1 oz size has a set mintage limit. The others sizes are unlimited mintage but are declared final at the end of the year.

WRSiegel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted